Thread: hammering?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

hammering?

how much abuse (doubles, tabletops, medium drops, etc.....) will my bike be able to take and last a while. its an 09' p.1 spesh am that im picking up tuesday. thanks

mtbr member
    That's definitally a xc bike....

Is now addicted to FR
    Jan 2009
    Isn't the P.1 a Dj bike?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ride an 08 and it has handled everything fine. If the rims are the same Alex p.o.s.'s you will need to keep an eye on them, they are weak as sh!t. The only other issue I have is with the fork not being a thru axle. Landing off axis the tire lightly rubs the fork. It's light enough to where you can't even tell, it's only the super small blacks marks on the inside that gave it away. But for a sub $1000 complete (full retail, not a random closeout model of a higher level of complete) you can't complain.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    That's definitally a xc bike....
    According to Specialized

ALL MOUNTAIN TOUGH, but competitive in weight to some of our competitors' XC bikes, the P. All Mountain is just as much fun on the trails as it is at the park. Fully butted alloy frames with double ORE down tubes make our AM version among the lightest in the P. series, but true to the family, this one will take more than a few hard knocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    so the bike should be able to take some descent dirt jumping in stock form. im gonna upgrade the fork and wheelset next year if the frame is worth it? thanks

Bikes Rule
    The bike pictured is a Hardrock I believe, not a P.1.

The p series bikes are designed for DJ/Street. They are heavy and the geometry is not ideal for anything in that category. Parts are average and heavy.

This is the 09' p.1:

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    The bike pictured is a Hardrock I believe, not a P.1.

The p series bikes are designed for DJ/Street. They are heavy and the geometry is not ideal for anything in that category. Parts are average and heavy.

This is the 09' p.1:

It's a P.1 All Mountain Disc. I'm surprised you took the time to goto Specialized's website for the P.1 picture, but didn't take 5 seconds more to check out the other bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you will be riding mostly xc type trails the P1 all mountain will be fine. If you want to throw the bike around in the air mostly I'd look more to a dj specific bike. The 09's geometry looks pretty different form the 08, maybe you might feel more comfortable on it than the all-mountain. But if you end up with the all mountain and end up upgrading the fork and wheels you will be fine too. Just depends on what kind of riding you will do mostly

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    It's a P.1 All Mountain Disc. I'm surprised you took the time to goto Specialized's website for the P.1 picture, but didn't take 5 seconds more to check out the other bike.
    Hmm. I did not notice the "am" in the OP thread. You are correct...

I would not get the All Mountain and go with the regular p bikes.

Braaaapp!
    The only reason I really knew there was 2 p.1 versions is because I have a Specialized cataloge in the "reading room" at the house here. Picked it up when the old lady was road bike shopping a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    already ordered and im picking the bike up tomorrow or wednesday. i was lookin for a frame that had a combo dj/xc geometry because i will be doing both. im not to concerned about the fork or wheels because im gonna upgrade them as soon as the stock stuff grenades (hopefully i'll get a season out of them). i just wanted a strong do anything frame

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have the wheels properly tensioned and trued, toss some spoke freeze in there and you may get a whole season out of them. Have fun