mtbr member
    May 2008

Halo Wide Boy Axle Conversion

Anyone running the Halo Wide Boy front hub with a 3/8" axle? They say it is convertable to 3/8", but I can't find the kit anywhere. All I see is the Spin Doctor conversion, which looks like it would work but...

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Check the inventory on www.bti-usa.com

BTI is the US distributor for Halo, so if there's one in this country, they'll be the most likely to have it. You have to buy through your LBS bc they won't sell direct to consumers. I had to get all of my Identiti and Halo stuff through BTI.

You can also check some of the UK sites, but you're going to get killed on shipping/customs/etc etc etc

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, I can order through BTI. I looked on the site and all they have is the 14mm Conversion for the Wide Boy. On Halo's website they say that the hub is convertable between 20mm, 3/8", 9mm, etc but even on Halo's website they don't show specific Wide Boy conversions. All they show is the Spin Doctor conversions. Also emailed Halo, but have not heard back.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Halo should be able to help you out obviously, but it's getting the part from a non-distributor outside the US.

Or they'll tell you to go through BTI, which doesn't have them in stock, so they'd probably recommend some UK shops to contact. That's what I had to do when I was looking for a 3/8ths thru for my rear hub and also for the 24" specific dropouts on my frame.

If a worse case scenario comes about, you can always see about using another manufacturer, like the azonic axle or maybe a profile one, but you may have to buy a different set of bearings to fit the race on the new axle. This is probably going to take some research though.

You know what I had to end up doing? Bought a whole new hub; it was cheaper than the modification, and I wanted a dedicated SS so I went this route.