mtbr member

Halo SAS or....which 24 Wheelset?

so if you have scene my other thread you basically know the deal. i decided to give 24's a try...just because of the strength and flickability gain....i'll still use my 26s for DS and such though. i dont have a ton to spend....but i dont want something heavy or low quality either. the halo SAS in white would look insanely nice on my bike but i have heard the SAS in general is pretty heavy. i don't know how bad the 24 version would be though.

i have done my research on the matter....i also looked at the Atomlab General issue DJ set which is actually just a bit heavier then the SAS set when it all comes down to it. the set i really wanted is the Halo Tornado...but i can't find anywhere that has them in stock for a few weeks atleast. the tornados mite be noticably lighter then the SAS...but i don't know how much 185 grams give or take will make a difference? so ya anyone you rides the SAS or has useful info please post some ideas...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i just got a rear 26 inch sas, and it's loads heavier than my previous rim (sun single track). haven't rode it yet though. also can't compare it to the 24 inch, but it looks like it'll last me a while, it's burly as all hell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i would say don't worry about weight if its not for racing becaus ethe truth is 24s are made to be thrashed and i would go for what looks to be the strongest set in your eyes. that being said i was outta the scen for 2 years and halo wasn't around back then but atom lab was and i have not seen a bad product made by them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfromthelak
    i would say don't worry about weight if its not for racing becaus ethe truth is 24s are made to be thrashed and i would go for what looks to be the strongest set in your eyes. that being said i was outta the scen for 2 years and halo wasn't around back then but atom lab was and i have not seen a bad product made by them
    word, that's basically what it has came down to for me. i have my 26" Single Track/SOS wheelset that is fairly light which will still be awesome for the races. i've pretty much decided on the SAS's for sure, and even if they are a bit heavy, my bike will be losing some weight soon otherwise to make up for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah just get the beasts this is urban and dj we abuse our bike we don't need to be weight weenies like XC guys(no offense xc guys)

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the old funn 48h wheels are lighter or heavier than the halo 48h wheels?

Meh.
    FUNN never released a weight on the 48s. So you'll have to track down somebody that has one.

Yes, the Halos will be heavier than the SOS rims, quite a bit heavier in fact. But they're confidence inspiring and super burly. You won't be dissappointed. Just be sure to keep your eye on spoke tension the first few rides if you're not having it hand built. Also remember to keep your tires pumped up. The rims are a relatively soft alloy that dent and flatspot easily if you run low PSI. I've never had an issue, I've thrashed a set for... a long time. And I loved them.