mtbr member

Gotta few questions/ Introduction

Hey guys I'm pretty new around here but I thought I would stop my and see if you guys can help steer me in a good direction for my new build. I'm 19 and have been riding some form of a bike pretty much my whole life. I have been riding mtb since I could remember, and raced road bikes for a few years ( I wish I never quit). Rite now I have a Giant Tcr C1 ( looking to sell, mostly dura ace), Rocky element race and a few gary fisher projects I need to finish. I am really looking to build a street/ dirt jump machine and was wondering if you guys could maybe tell me a few good company's out there that make quality bikes, or who makes awesome parts. I have been looking at the dmr transition, but have no idea if I want a 24' or 26' wheel. I want to be able to take this bike on the street as well as the jumps. All the companys I check out look really good and their bikes look solid, but im sure some are better then others. Any kind of information you guys could give me would be sick

dirt rules
    Your question is far to vague...

If you can't even decide on 24 vs 26, you're going to get a hundred different answers.

Read through the forums, read a LOT. Try to come up with some more specific ideas, and then post for opinions on those.

More info = better answers.

How much do you want to spend? <--- info like that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Your question is far to vague...

If you can't even decide on 24 vs 26, you're going to get a hundred different answers.

Read through the forums, read a LOT. Try to come up with some more specific ideas, and then post for opinions on those.

More info = better answers.

How much do you want to spend? <--- info like that helps.

WelI I was easily able to search it out and I think 26 will be better. My only thought is that I am 5'4" and that maybe 24's would be good. My friend has a big dirt lot and they have some awesome jumps/ sets so I want a bike that I can mainly use in there as well as be able to take on the streets. I WANT to spend about a grand, but it really depends on what I can get for my money. If there is a awesome deal on a bike that cost a tad more I can deal with that. I might also build it up myself, but I have to do a lot more research and see what I want to do.

dirt rules
    Dirt jumps are typically much easier with 26" wheels. The smaller the wheels, the more skill you need to go big.
    Street stuff is generally easier and more fun on smaller wheels.
    You're pretty short, so a 24 would probably feel pretty good on dirt jumps, and better than a 26 for street.
    If I had to buy a bike right now, and had a grand, I would buy a used bike, no question. Something like this would have been perfect: (was for sale for months, finally went for a grand, it looks like)

deals like that can be had, look around on forums' classifieds, craigslist, ebay, etc.

mtbr member
    if you want techy tricks on the street i'd go 24
    if you do tight jumps with steep lips id go 24
    if you want to do jumps with raked out jumps and landers with big gaps id go 26.
    as your small id go 24
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys I think the best thing for me to do is see if I can find a shop around me who has a 24 I can ride

mtbr member
    I found this video of some Long Island kids ( I live on LI) riding and that is pretty much the same type of riding I will be doing. My friends place is set up kind of like that, but its not in the woods and also has a section with some bigger jumps and drop ins. I'm not too concerned with trying to hit the bigger sets, I already broke my clavicle once and its still kind of messed up. I think a 24 will be better for me, I just dont want it to be to squirly when dirt jumping.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm 5'8'' and am starting to wish I would of just built up a 24 instead of the 26... Actually, my height doesn't really have much to do with it. I ride mostly street and park though so maybe that says something. The wheels just being a little smaller would be that much easier to move the bike around in the air and on spin tricks. If I were any shorter at all I would definitely of gone with a 24.

mtbr member
    24's seem like the way to go for my size, you guys were rite. Rite now I am looking into the union street molly and the dmr transition 24.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you can swing the Molly go for it

mtbr member
    for them type of jumps id go 24. they look really smooth and fun. something with tight angles and short stays would work really well.
    personally i'd get the molly over the DMR. but saying that i don't like DMR's too much so i'm biased. the DMR frame is also very heavy - over 6lbs if i remember. no idea on the weight of the molly
    other options include suburban 24 which i think is real nice
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    Yea the molly looks like an awesome bike and perfect for what I need. This is going to be a fun build. Can I run this frame with a rigid fork for a little while? Or will I mess up the geometry in the front because its supposed to use a 80mm fork. I will search for it after I post, I just thought of that while posting this.Thanks for the help guys

edit: I found a picture on google of a molly running a rigid so I guess it will work out fine