Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Got my Eastern NightTrain 26 !! Pics :

Nice bike rides awesome and lighter than i thought
    Is the brake lever suppose to all the way pulled in almost to lock the rear ?? I see the adjust bolt it on looks like it can go just a lil more?
    And wow i thought manualing wheelie was easy lol. I can only ride it for like 4 - 5 feet lol and thats kinda using the rear brake from flipping me over. LOTS of practice i guess haha

And no the seat is not that high up now I only took a pic real quick when i got it out togther!!
    Thanks for those who recommended this bike!!!

Photobucket

Meh.
    Your brake needs to be bled. You need a bleed kit to do that. DO NOT remove the resi cover.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    preety bike i like
    Hucks to Fackie

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    how much was it

mtbr member
    sex

hit the dirt
    Feb 2008
    painted garage floor with flecks!! love the bike as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Your brake needs to be bled. You need a bleed kit to do that. DO NOT remove the resi cover.
    He's right and he's right. But it won't be the end of the world if you remove the cover. Just realize it's not needed at all to bleed a Hayes 9.

Order a Hayes 9 bleed kit.. a google search should yield good results. I had to get one for mine... (I have a nightrain 24) If you plan to keep the brake you are going to absolutely need it eventually. Just get it now.

Those angles would be teh sex if you lowered the fork a bit

Meh.
    That's an Avid brake.

And if you remove the resi cover without knowing what you're doing, you risk damaging the diaphragm/seal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Eastern changed the brakes up!>!>

I'm kind of jealous now.... i think the hayes 9 sucks.

mtbr member
    Nice bike, I just got one myself. So far I am liking it but it is my first urban type of bike so I have nothing to compare to.

As for the brake, I have had 3 sets of Avid Juicy's and have never had to bleed them when new. A couple of things: You need to break in the brake pads before you will get full stopping power. You can adjust the lever so that it engages sooner. Turn the adjust bolt clockwise and that will make the brake engage quicker. Break in the pads first though.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I got rid of the hayes I had on my NT and jsut ride brakeless, and I have gotten a rigid fork and such, it is nice.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    Nice bike, I just got one myself. So far I am liking it but it is my first urban type of bike so I have nothing to compare to.

As for the brake, I have had 3 sets of Avid Juicy's and have never had to bleed them when new. A couple of things: You need to break in the brake pads before you will get full stopping power. You can adjust the lever so that it engages sooner. Turn the adjust bolt clockwise and that will make the brake engage quicker. Break in the pads first though.
    That dials the reach out further...

It needs a bleed, it's not uncommon for factory bleeds to suck.

mtbr remember
    sweet steed.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok well I have bleed motorcycle and car brakes before. I guess I will look in the owners manual for the JUICY 7 brakes. They are not Haynes they are Juicy. I think it tells you in the manual how to bleed them. Thats what I was thinking but then also I think its good when the lever is closer to the handlebar when fully pressed in while you are hoping around on the rear tire right????
    Eastern Night Train 26

I also bought the anodized bar ends? Do those go just over the metal bars or both the bars and grips?
    Thanks for all the help!! I cant believe how sore I am from 2 hrs of light riding !!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Oh yea and how do u brake in the pads? I just started to ride a lil press them a lil then I have been using it to bounce around on the rear wheel or both wheels

mtbr remember
    they'll just break in from use over time.

I like that on the box, hahaha, "ASSED QUALITY"

How far the lever travels is usually personal preference, but, if your brake isn't properly bled, you won't get enough travel to strongly clamp the brake rotor, instead you'll just hit the lever on the grip and your rear wheel will still be able to move.
    Some people with 1finger levers like the lever to come close the the grip, for more strength holding the bars while 1 finger is still on the blade. But if you have a long lever and it comes down too close to the grip, you'll often be smashing your other fingers or cutting them.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yea i understand what your saying Satori thanks man! My brakes do lock up but there is a lot of travel in the lever. I do have a long lever and it does smash my other finger or two.
    Got the bike for 895 shipped!!! Cant say where but Janson is the best deal I have seen.
    Oh yea and should i be using the rear brake to do manuals with? Or is it all balance with legs and arms?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by imprezawd
    Ok well I have bleed motorcycle and car brakes before. I guess I will look in the owners manual for the JUICY 7 brakes. They are not Haynes they are Juicy. I think it tells you in the manual how to bleed them. Thats what I was thinking but then also I think its good when the lever is closer to the handlebar when fully pressed in while you are hoping around on the rear tire right????
    Those are Juicy 3, not 7. The bleed procedure is similar, but not the same (different location for the caliper bleed port). A bleed kit is required to bleed these brakes. The quality of the Juicy 3 is substantially lower.

You break in pads the same way as on a car or moto. Build a little heat in the rotor and pads, build speed, threshold brake, let off before you come to a complete stop, build speed, threshold brake, etc. Keep doing that. Probably around 50 or so you'll start to get more power out of it.

The Beaver
    we have on in the LBS and it is pretty sweet, I have only parking lot tested, but it handled alright.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strauss
    Eastern changed the brakes up!>!>

I'm kind of jealous now.... i think the hayes 9 sucks.
    Everything I saw on the net said Hayes, but when mine came it had a Juicy. I would much rather have a Juicy anyways, so I was happy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ok thanks ESL i got my buddy who works at a bike shop im sure they have something to bleed these brakes..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does anyone out there know the bottom bracket height on the Eastern NightTrain 07 or 08? It doesn't say on their website...they should, it's pretty important.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jitybug
    Does anyone out there know the bottom bracket height on the Eastern NightTrain 07 or 08? It doesn't say on their website...they should, it's pretty important.
    I'll measure mine when I get home tonight. Its seems to be pretty high. I use one of those under-the-bottom-bracket stands that holds your bike up and it works on all my bikes except the NightTrain...the BB is just too high for it to hold the bike up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    sounds good.. so we'll see. how does it ride? is it snapy and easy to throw around?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    BB height is 11 7/8"

sounds good.. so we'll see. how does it ride? is it snapy and easy to throw around?
    Not sure, I haven't got a chance to ride it. Just got it about 2 weeks ago and there is a foot of snow outside

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast