Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,081

    Good front tire for DJ/BMX?

    My DJ is finally done, and I have a great rear tire for it, but I'm wondering what's recommended for the front.

    I have a Mutano Raptor 2.4 front and a Small Block 8 2.35 rear. For riding the jumps/pump track/bmx and even the occasional urban does it make more sense to ride the small block 8 2.35 front and rear? I don't plan on riding this bike on the trail and the Mutano raptor feels a bit unstable compared to the small block 8. Thanks!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmc4130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    My DJ is finally done, and I have a great rear tire for it, but I'm wondering what's recommended for the front.

    I have a Mutano Raptor 2.4 front and a Small Block 8 2.35 rear. For riding the jumps/pump track/bmx and even the occasional urban does it make more sense to ride the small block 8 2.35 front and rear? I don't plan on riding this bike on the trail and the Mutano raptor feels a bit unstable compared to the small block 8. Thanks!
    It really doesn't matter. Some people do like less-aggro tread patterns for smooth-packed dirt (such as kenda k-rad, or maxxis holy rollers, or small block, etc. ) but still, it really doesn't matter.

    I personally like a smoother tire in the back and a fat knobby one in the front.\
    Blackmarket MOB 26" and Liquid Feedback 24":

  3. #3
    Team Chilidog!
    Reputation: Stripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,081
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    It really doesn't matter. Some people do like less-aggro tread patterns for smooth-packed dirt (such as kenda k-rad, or maxxis holy rollers, or small block, etc. ) but still, it really doesn't matter.

    I personally like a smoother tire in the back and a fat knobby one in the front.\
    Blackmarket MOB 26" and Liquid Feedback 24":
    Thanks. While it may not matter, the front tire on it I have right now has some "dead spots" where it doesn't feel stable. I'll see if I can find the Blackmarket MOB or I'll put on the SB8 in the front too.

    I do agree with you, I like fat knobbies on the front, but my fat knobbies tend to be things like the DHF or the Butcher SX.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmc4130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    . . . . I'll see if I can find the Blackmarket MOB or .....
    sorry, wasn't clear. the MOB is the frame model. the front tire is Tioga Blue Dragon. it's lasted a long time.

  5. #5
    *B*
    *B* is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: *B*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    385
    I've seen the sb8 up front mostly, I think its a good front for hardpack and ok for street. I would find a low resistance tire for the back with enough bite to crank in the dirt.

  6. #6
    It's time for a road trip
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    55
    I ran a 2.4 mutano on my dj'er for a long time, and it worked great, even at the skatepark. I'm on a holy roller now, which is a little better on the street and not as good in the dirt. It's also heavier and slower rolling.

  7. #7
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    DMR Moto RT seems to be my tire of choice for DJ/street.

    They make both 24" and 26" versions.

    I prefer the 2.4". Keep in mind though, that the 2.4" is huge if mounted on 36mm rims. Far bigger than 2.4".


    Magura

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •