Team Chilidog!

Good front tire for DJ/BMX?

My DJ is finally done, and I have a great rear tire for it, but I'm wondering what's recommended for the front.

I have a Mutano Raptor 2.4 front and a Small Block 8 2.35 rear. For riding the jumps/pump track/bmx and even the occasional urban does it make more sense to ride the small block 8 2.35 front and rear? I don't plan on riding this bike on the trail and the Mutano raptor feels a bit unstable compared to the small block 8. Thanks!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    My DJ is finally done, and I have a great rear tire for it, but I'm wondering what's recommended for the front.

I have a Mutano Raptor 2.4 front and a Small Block 8 2.35 rear. For riding the jumps/pump track/bmx and even the occasional urban does it make more sense to ride the small block 8 2.35 front and rear? I don't plan on riding this bike on the trail and the Mutano raptor feels a bit unstable compared to the small block 8. Thanks!
    It really doesn't matter. Some people do like less-aggro tread patterns for smooth-packed dirt (such as kenda k-rad, or maxxis holy rollers, or small block, etc. ) but still, it really doesn't matter.

I personally like a smoother tire in the back and a fat knobby one in the front.\
    Blackmarket MOB 26" and Liquid Feedback 24":

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    It really doesn't matter. Some people do like less-aggro tread patterns for smooth-packed dirt (such as kenda k-rad, or maxxis holy rollers, or small block, etc. ) but still, it really doesn't matter.

I personally like a smoother tire in the back and a fat knobby one in the front.\
    Blackmarket MOB 26" and Liquid Feedback 24":
    Thanks. While it may not matter, the front tire on it I have right now has some "dead spots" where it doesn't feel stable. I'll see if I can find the Blackmarket MOB or I'll put on the SB8 in the front too.

I do agree with you, I like fat knobbies on the front, but my fat knobbies tend to be things like the DHF or the Butcher SX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    . . . . I'll see if I can find the Blackmarket MOB or .....
    sorry, wasn't clear. the MOB is the frame model. the front tire is Tioga Blue Dragon. it's lasted a long time.

*B*
    mtbr member
    I've seen the sb8 up front mostly, I think its a good front for hardpack and ok for street. I would find a low resistance tire for the back with enough bite to crank in the dirt.

It's time for a road trip
    Dec 2011
    I ran a 2.4 mutano on my dj'er for a long time, and it worked great, even at the skatepark. I'm on a holy roller now, which is a little better on the street and not as good in the dirt. It's also heavier and slower rolling.

DIY all the way
    DMR Moto RT seems to be my tire of choice for DJ/street.

They make both 24" and 26" versions.

I prefer the 2.4". Keep in mind though, that the 2.4" is huge if mounted on 36mm rims. Far bigger than 2.4".

Magura