mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Giant STP SS size question....

Hey all! I am 6' 185 and no shop in my area carries the STP in ANY configuration so I can't go test ride, but, I was wondering if I would need a regular or large. Any help? Thanks..

Also, 6' 185, will the STP hold up to me doing 6' drops, dirt jumping and whatever else I throw at it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinchrisc
    Hey all! I am 6' 185 and no shop in my area carries the STP in ANY configuration so I can't go test ride, but, I was wondering if I would need a regular or large. Any help? Thanks..

Also, 6' 185, will the STP hold up to me doing 6' drops, dirt jumping and whatever else I throw at it?
    yes you should get the Large.

what else are you gonna throw at it ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 6-0" and ride a Large 09 STP SS. The top tube and chainstay length feels more MTB than BMX. It's more comfortable for general urban riding (including drops), but you give a up a little BMX-like flickability while dirt jumping. It's a good inch or more longer in wheelbase than any other urban/DJ out there. By comparison, the Mongoose Ritual Street practically jumps itself and feels like cheating. The STP requires a little more effort to get the nose down while in the air.

With either size, you'll likely want to put a higher rise bar on there. The stocker is pretty low and narrow. I like the NS Bikes Habenero bar.

If you're riding street and drops, go for the long. If you're going to be primarily hitting DJs, go for the regular. I also recommend the singlespeed for simplicity and decreased weight.

If you're doing 6' to tranny, the bike can handle it. If you're doing 6' to flat on concrete then your ankles (and wheels) will give out about the same time the frame does.