mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Giant Brass 2 vs Gary Fisher Opie

So after more test rides and actually taking some bikes on rides more than just the parking lot, it seems these style bikes appeal to me more, and at the end of the day, have been more fun. I've narrowed it down to these two, and will be pulling the trigger on one of them tomorrow, just looking for some last minute thoughts and opinions. I can get the Brass 2 out the door for $500, the Opie for $489+tax. Which would you guys say would be the better bike in regards to street/urban riding downtown, with trails thrown in a few times a month? Componentwise, I'd like something somewhat decent, but not too concerned long term, as chances are, they will be upgraded down the road.

Thanks in advance, and pics will be posted tomorrow!

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    I have no experience with the brass but i've been riding a highly modified opie for a few years now. All I have to say about it is that its a great jack of all trades but master of none bike. I pretty much ride the bike everywhere and really enjoy it but I wouldn't use it for strictly stree/dj.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

OnTheTrailAgain
    A little late, but the Opie.

I've ridden my '07 Opie in New York City and on about 1/2 a dozen trails in 3 states (AM/Trail/XC/Path).

In my opinion, it has better comps than the Giant.
    The wheelset is definitely better.
    The drivetrain so far has been flawless for me.
    I beat the bike up a bit, so it takes a beating.

I'm 210+lbs @ 5'9" and I ride a 15.5".
    I should be riding a 17.5", but for aggressive riding, I like the lower top tube.

If you haven't gone with anything yet, out of those two, I'd say get the Opie.

It's like a BMX bike on steroids.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Great to hear! Just reinforces my love for my new Opie! Picked it up a few days after I posted. Been hitting up some local trails and riding in some urban assault groups and having a blast with it!

OnTheTrailAgain

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by eratanun
    Great to hear! Just reinforces my love for my new Opie! Picked it up a few days after I posted. Been hitting up some local trails and riding in some urban assault groups and having a blast with it!

You can beat that bike like a stepchild and it'll take it.

I've been waiting for things to break on mine so that I could replace them,
    but nothing breaks...it's like The Energizer Bunny!
    It keeps going and going and going and going...

Enjoy it!
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 11-09-2009 at 04:23 PM.