mtbr member

Getting into pump tracks . . . w/ some trail capabilities - where to start?

Hey all,

I've been mountain biking for close to a decade now, and have really stepped it up in the past 2 years in terms of skills development. I currently ride 29ers (FS and hard tail), and would love to add a bike to the stable that would be used for pump track practice and possibly some trail use. I don't foresee myself getting into the true dirt jumps (the really steep kind that I see in videos ala Post Office style), but would like to progress in berms, trail jumps, manuals, etc.

Would a full suspension DJ style bike fit the bill in this scenario? I've read a lot about the different wheels sizes, and am guessing I might want to stick w/ the 26" size so that it has a bit more trail capability. Am I completely off? If so, help me get back on track.

Basically, I've been riding pure natural terrain overseas for the past 2 years, and will be back in the USA this spring for a few months. I'm expecting to have good access to some man made stuff (Rocky Knob MTB Park, NC and whatever I can find in the Northern VA area) and would like to take the opportunity to practice. Additionally, I'm moving overseas again in June, so I'd like a bike that I could take out on singletrack for a few hours.

I'm scouring the PB and MTBR classifieds - but am overwhelmed by all the different choices. Appreciate any guidance or advice you guys can offer - thanks!

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    When the P-slope came out Mitch Ropelato won the pump track challenge on one at Whistler, so I think you can use a fully for pump (he didn't ride it this year). I think when you try to add trail you get the real challenge. I imagine the priority list would look something like:
    1) full length seat tube if you want to sit and pedal
    2) lock out or low leverage so it will pump well
    3) 26" is better for pump than anything bigger
    4) I would guess you want gears
    Another issue is that fs dh's usually pivot around the bb. Pedaling won't be great, neither will square edge hits. All these issues are much easier to deal with if considering a hard tail. But looking at fully's:

P-Slope would be great but there is about 3" of seat tube
    Dartmoore Shine would be fun - but don't know if it takes gears
    LePink and killswitch would not be on my list but others speak highly of them and I have no riding basis
    The Morpheus Skyla looks promising the only drawback seems like weight and maybe a little slack for pump tracks.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cecald View Post
    Hey all,

I've been mountain biking for close to a decade now, and have really stepped it up in the past 2 years in terms of skills development. I currently ride 29ers (FS and hard tail), and would love to add a bike to the stable that would be used for pump track practice and possibly some trail use. I don't foresee myself getting into the true dirt jumps (the really steep kind that I see in videos ala Post Office style), but would like to progress in berms, trail jumps, manuals, etc.

Would a full suspension DJ style bike fit the bill in this scenario? I've read a lot about the different wheels sizes, and am guessing I might want to stick w/ the 26" size so that it has a bit more trail capability. Am I completely off? If so, help me get back on track.

Basically, I've been riding pure natural terrain overseas for the past 2 years, and will be back in the USA this spring for a few months. I'm expecting to have good access to some man made stuff (Rocky Knob MTB Park, NC and whatever I can find in the Northern VA area) and would like to take the opportunity to practice. Additionally, I'm moving overseas again in June, so I'd like a bike that I could take out on singletrack for a few hours.

I'm scouring the PB and MTBR classifieds - but am overwhelmed by all the different choices. Appreciate any guidance or advice you guys can offer - thanks!
    You should go for a hard tail. Although some full suspension slope bikes 'can' be ridden on pump tracks, you're not going to get the fundamentals that you need. It's all about compressing your feet on that rear triangle. Look at the Specialized P. bikes, Haro Steel Reserve, NS Suburban, NS Majesty, Transition PBJ, Black Market Edit 1, Black Market Riot or Mob, etc.

On my Black Market Mob, the seat is currently at 17.5" (from center of crank bolt up to top of seat). Center of crank up to top of seat tube is only 11.5".

If you look at older DJ bikes, like the 2005 DK Xenia (pre-Walmart version), on the right in the pic below, the seat tube is 15" tall. I personally have ridden the Xenia on singletrack a lot. Just raise the post up. If you're tall, you may have to give up on the idea of true leg extension like on a typical xc setup.