wrenchscience.com
    I heard Jews have big noses.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Word on the street is.....

To "Air" Is Human
    Nice...I just sold mine...

Bikes Rule
    Are you getting a frame or a complete? If you are getting a frame, man up and get the Mob. I built a Riot and upgraded to a Mob last year. It is a world of difference in feel. Well worth the extra $200 IMO.

Either way the geometry is perfect and I constantly say that my Mob is THE best bike I have ever built. And I have built and owned a ton of bikes over the years.

Here is an unwarranted gratuitous photo:

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 2009
    the mob looks sweet. wat forks r those. and ya im buying a full bike, i want it in lime green i think its gonna look sik

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 2009
    ya, they do... haha

Bikes Rule
    The fork is an Argyle 318 lowered to 80mm.

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 2009
    there nice

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 2009
    im sjust a newb in the urban/DJ world so im not very good rite now, im hoping the blk mrkt will be a good bike choice

Bikes Rule
    The Riot complete is an awesome package. It is well beyond anything newbish. You will love it. You will progress very quickly with it. I know I did.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Why does everyone on this forum ride BlkMrkt?

Not bashing the frame; I haven't ridden it, but it seems like everyone on here thinks it's the end all of frames.

Am I missing something?

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 2009
    thats the reason im getting one, bcuz they seem like such great bikes, which is probably why everyone rides them... haha.

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo!
    Why does everyone on this forum ride BlkMrkt?

Not bashing the frame; I haven't ridden it, but it seems like everyone on here thinks it's the end all of frames.

Am I missing something?
    If you have not ridden one, then you cannot know the feeling. It is actually the beginning AND the end of all frames. A lot of bike company geometries these days were copied from the Mob geometry.

The Mob is the best 26" DJ frame on the market IMO. The Riot is a less expensive (different tubing) version of the Mob with identical geometry. They just ride so damn nice..

Roll on Spring Time!
    Demo-9
    I am thinking of getting a Dj specific bike and was curious about your fork. I am riding a Cotic Bfe which is a long travel Chromoly and using a Domain 318 u-turn and I really enjoy running it SS. I had a pike fitted but I kept blowing the lip seal in the compression cartridge. TF Tuned had just serviced mine so I contacted them and was told there was an improved seal as this was a common problem. I was running a firm spring cause the xtra firm was crap on the trails but I would run the xtra firm if it was for DJ and street only. The domain is better for landing drops and any heavier stuff but the pike was a better match for weight and A to C. How do Argyles or any other good DJ street forks work in terms of compression? Specificaly to bottoming out. On transition landings the pike is great but a heavy landing and she not so happy. At the moment my hardtail is trying to be something she is not so I wood like to look into a sound replacement setup.
    Awesome bike by the way and definately what I wood be looking at.
    I just want to ride.

Bikes Rule
    The Argyle is amazing. I think of it as a bit burlier Pike fixed at 100mm travel (stock). Depending on what models you have ridden, the newer ones (08' and newer) are awesome with the Motion Control.

I had a pike previously and I too found it a bit soft on bigger hits. What is great about the Argyle is lowering it to 80mm and keeping the same spring. With mine I lowered it and managed to keep the stock spring uncut and had to work to get the top cap on. Makes it super stiff when locked out but when needed I dial it back to have more squish. It really is an amazing fork. I am a coil fork fan so I chose the 318 over the 409.

I don't ever remember the Argyle bottoming out. I am sure I have on a few occasions but it never felt that way. I usually crank down the MoCo when riding at the skate park and it is nearly locked out but has a tiny bit of movement on the bigger landings. Even at the lowest MoCo setting it never feels like it bottoms out. A lot of that has to do with the rider and how you land and what type of jumps/drops you are hitting. I ride the same bike at a huge dirt park in the summer and it feels perfect.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Demo-9
    Cheers for the heads up. My Cotic Bfe has a minimum travel option of 100mm and my domain lowers to 115mm. I am rebuilding the Cotic this weekend and am planning to run it in lower travel to get a feel for a more DJ, Street specific geomtry. If I enjoy running short travel and single speed then and feel how it responds then I seriously look at a MOB frame this year. I know a specific frame will be even better and I dig those short chain stays! I plan on investing in a 50mm stem, 65 at the mo, and keeping my 2" rise bars. I have been running 2.4" holy rollers which work really well on tarmac but allow me to hit some trail dirt and my SS ratio is 32-16. I have been rolling on Outlaws which have held up great but I have noticed the engagment is average lately.
    Some questions for you if thats cool,
    In terms of strength vs weight what wheels do you recommend for DJ, Street and park? I have a set of Pro2 hubs from a previous wheelset 32 hole. I would love to set up my bike with green spanks and would like to go with subrosa for weight. I am looking into reviews at the moment. What gear ratio do you recommend? at times I feel a 32-17/18t would be spot on but not available. I run XT cranks so I have to go 32t or it drops to 26t.
    I also like to run 710mm bars on the trail but it seems Dj and Street riders prefer narrow bars?
    Appreciate the help.
    I just want to ride.

Bikes Rule
    I run very specific stuff and it tends to be different from most. I love Profile hubs laced to Mavic 721 rims. I have a set on my DJ and on my FR set-up. The DJ set-up is a Profile hubset which the rear is a SS with a Ti Shimano cassette body. front is a non-disc Profile. For the FR I run a 8/9 speed Shimano cassette with a Ti body as well. For me and my riding style they just work flawlessly.

I run Profiles on my DJ and I run a 24/12 gear set-up. It is a low gear ratio to most but it works for me. I am int he process of building a USB Molly 24" bike. I am doing the exact same set-up as my Mob for parts.

My bars on my DJ are about 26". I tend to have the same bar width on all of my bikes to make life easier..

mtbr member
    The pike can be set-up just as you've described with the argyle, fyi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    If you have not ridden one, then you cannot know the feeling. It is actually the beginning AND the end of all frames. A lot of bike company geometries these days were copied from the Mob geometry.

The Mob is the best 26" DJ frame on the market IMO. The Riot is a less expensive (different tubing) version of the Mob with identical geometry. They just ride so damn nice..
    Dude... Honestly. How old are you? You rep blkmrkt like its your JOB!! Every single time I open any thread on MTBR or RM that says anything riot or mob all I read is posts from you fan-boying it up. It's way annoying and totally unnecessary. There are tons and tons of frames out there that put blkmrkt a few steps down on the list. Have YOU ridden the new superco's? What about a howie? a WCH? how about a suburban?

I am not trying to say that blkmrkt didn't have their hand in making MTBMX what it is today, but to call out companies on copying blkmrkt is like *****ing at walmart for having a generic brand... Not to mention the fact that while blkmrkt hit the nail on the head a few years ago, they haven't done anything new in a while.. as the new superco/howie are hot off the frame jig... Tightest geo specs of any MTBMX out there. And they ride like it too...

all I'm asking is for the love of god, PLEASE stop talking like blkmrkt is the one and only pick for someone wanting the best!!

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    Dude... Honestly. How old are you? You rep blkmrkt like its your JOB!! Every single time I open any thread on MTBR or RM that says anything riot or mob all I read is posts from you fan-boying it up. It's way annoying and totally unnecessary. There are tons and tons of frames out there that put blkmrkt a few steps down on the list. Have YOU ridden the new superco's? What about a howie? a WCH? how about a suburban?

I am not trying to say that blkmrkt didn't have their hand in making MTBMX what it is today, but to call out companies on copying blkmrkt is like *****ing at walmart for having a generic brand... Not to mention the fact that while blkmrkt hit the nail on the head a few years ago, they haven't done anything new in a while.. as the new superco/howie are hot off the frame jig... Tightest geo specs of any MTBMX out there. And they ride like it too...

all I'm asking is for the love of god, PLEASE stop talking like blkmrkt is the one and only pick for someone wanting the best!!
    Wow. Not sure how to respond really. Let's see. I am 35 and I have been in the bike industry for over 15 years on and off again working at bike shops. I have owned and built more bikes than most on these boards. I have done it all from BMX racing in the 80's, XC racing. DH racing and recently picked up DJ. Sorry for geting excited about a great bike company.

Second I really only respond to questions pertaining to Black Market bike question threads. I take pride in learning everything about a company - metal choice, tubing, welding, geometry, customer service etc. I learned a ton from Black market and they make one of, if not THE best frames out there today. Sure there are others like SuperCo but they do not have (yet) the reputation and CS that BM has.

My posts are not annoying and unnecessary. i have ridden and owned a Riot and then a Mob frame. Excuse me for posting pictures of my favorite hobby and discussing BlkMrkt. Again I try to post informative information about BM bikes... Am I excited about them? Sure. Do I truly love their bikes? Yep.

Third - who the fvck are you to call me out? Go ride your gay "quadrangle" c0ckballer frame and be done with it. SE Bikes was and is the only true quadrangle out there. I thought you were semi cool with your bike frame and pictures and your designs. But now you are just another douchebag. Go play with your boyfriend on your stupid snow jump you built. Seriously.

Now did that last paragraph piss you off? Good that was the intent. You were pretty helpfull with my Molly questions on ridemonkey and then you come out with this post? What gives? Send that type of sh!t in a PM. Am I saying that the Mob/Riot is the only bike to get? No. But they are proven and I have a lot of riding time on a Riot and Mob so I feel I am providing a service to these types of questions.

Yes I do say that the Mob is the best frame I have ever ridden. That is my opinion. Sorry if I "bother" you. I will refrain from "fan boying" Black Market Bikes in the future. End rant.
    Last edited by Demo-9; 02-05-2009 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wow. Not sure how to respond really. Let's see. I am 35 and I have been in the bike industry for over 15 years on and off again working at bike shops. I have owned and built more bikes than most on these boards. I have done it all from BMX racing in the 80's, XC racing. DH racing and recently picked up DJ. Sorry for geting excited about a great bike company.

Second I really only respond to questions pertaining to Black Market bike question threads. I take pride in learning everything about a company - metal choice, tubing, welding, geometry, customer service etc. I learned a ton from Black market and they make one of, if not THE best frames out there today. Sure there are others like SuperCo but they do not have (yet) the reputation and CS that BM has.

My posts are not annoying and unnecessary. i have ridden and owned a Riot and then a Mob frame. Excuse me for posting pictures of my favorite hobby and discussing BlkMrkt. Again I try to post informative information about BM bikes... Am I excited about them? Sure. Do I truly love their bikes? Yep.

Third - who the fvck are you to call me out? Go ride your gay "quadrangle" c0ckballer frame and be done with it. SE Bikes was and is the only true quadrangle out there. I thought you were semi cool with your bike frame and pictures and your designs. But now you are just another douchebag. Go play with your boyfriend on your stupid snow jump you built. Seriously.

Now did that last paragraph piss you off? Good that was the intent. You were pretty helpfull with my Molly questions on ridemonkey and then you come out with this post? What gives? Send that type of sh!t in a PM. Am I saying that the Mob/Riot is the only bike to get? No. But they are proven and I have a lot of riding time on a Riot and Mob so I feel I am providing a service to these types of questions.

Yes I do say that the Mob is the best frame I have ever ridden. That is my opinion. Sorry if I "bother" you. I will refrain from "fan boying" Black Market Bikes in the future. End rant.
    Holy **** hahaha...That's got to be the best comeback I've seen on Mtbr...Now back on topic I'm getting a riot frame real soon to...Cant wait!

neighbor
    Mar 2008
    ... Sure there are others like SuperCo but they do not have (yet) the reputation and CS that BM has.
    I respect your comment because the company is just over a year old and you might not be aware of our history prior to Superco.

However if you consider the work of our chief designer/master builder Chris Boudreaux (aka: Doc) over the years, our hardtails are actually fifth or sixth generation frames from a highly reputable designer/builder with proven customer service.

Doc was one in a very VERY small handful of manufacturers paving the way for this type of bike long before it became as popular as it is today. An overwhelming majority of his old bikes are still going strong.

We're happy to re-earn that reputation, now as Superco. But it's worth considering there is well over a decade of experience behind every single handbuilt Superco frame.

We have a lot of respect for the work at Blk Mrkt. Though I've only had the pleasure of speaking with Carter a few times he seems like a remarkable individual totally devoted to the great product he and his company are responsible for.

Despite the fact Doc was building this type of bike before BlkMrkt was formed, we consider it a great compliment to be compared to them (and Tonic!)

We're stoked for the market to have really good options on high end DJ bikes.

Cheers,
    Terry at Superco

Bikes Rule
    Terry - Good information. Superco is an awesome company from what I have heard. The frames and geometries look absolutely perfect. The lines on your frames look simply amazing and if I did not already have the Mob I would have certainly purchased a Superco.

I am sure in time that you and your company will earn the respect both in product and customer service. I look forward to seeing more and more terrific frames being built up. Keep up the great work.