mtbr member
    Sep 2005

gears on a steelhead?

until i can switch it over, can i put a deraileur on a 2005 steelhead? im eventually gonna run SS, prolly w/ a 2:1 ratio, but al i have now is a geared setup to put on the frame
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

resident dumbass
    Yes you can.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ok because the frame up at the shop doesnt have a deraileur hanger so i didnt know if you could put one on.
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

resident dumbass
    Oh it doesn't? Hmm, it's supposed to . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    looks just like this but no hanger...it looks like there holes for it on the dropouts so ill prolly just order one http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=191

resident dumbass
    That's the 06, but the 05 was just like the 06 w/o the decals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    umm i have an 05 steelhead and it has a hanger on it. its the silver piece on the back of the bike. its and integrated piece. you have one

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Why not just start single speed? Take apart a couple cassettes to get spacers, order a DX/Novatech cog, and call it done. If you are currently using QR and not using hubs with a proprietary axle, add a Wheels Mfg Axle-20. $20 tops.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    If you are currently using QR and not using hubs with a proprietary axle, add a Wheels Mfg Axle-20. $20 tops.

soi dont have to switch new hubs? sweet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yup. If your axle is threaded all the way across, you can just swap out a bolt on axle. Any decent shop can help you. I've been using some single speed spaced 8 speeds hubs from I think a Specialized for several years now.
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Yup. If your axle is threaded all the way across, you can just swap out a bolt on axle. Any decent shop can help you. I've been using some single speed spaced 8 speeds hubs from I think a Specialized for several years now.

i work at a shop so we can do it, ive never had to do it before tho. the other mechanic can do it tho so it should be good. im just switching out the wheelset from my 06 hardrock sport, so im still not sure if itll work...i may just get some doubletracks w/ a bolt on rear..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Specialized's website says you have this hub.

Joy-Tech, cassette, 36h, ground race double sealed loose ball w/ alloy QR

The loose ball part tells me that it will be a fairly easy axle swap. Just make sure that you use a true 10mm x 1mm. A 9.5mm x 1mm axle may seem like it will work, but the excess play will ruin your cones/locknuts/axle nuts. I found out the hard way.
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ya you will need a solid axle that is 9mm by like 190-200mm very easy for any worth while lbs to do

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Um, the front is 9mm. The back is 10mm.

I personally like to replace the front with 10mm as well, but that requires replacing the cones and locking nuts as well.

I then use Primo Jewels all around. Best 10mm axle nuts ever!
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL