mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Gears or SS for my new DJ

I just picked up a 2007 kona scrap and it is my first DJ type bike. Man I didn't know what I was missing this thing is so much fun!! It has the stock 2x8 gearing on it, but it came with an SS kit and I am wondering if it's worthwile to switch it over or not. I am pretty new to all this stuff and am mostly just riding street around the neighborhood. Not sure which setup is better for my riding. I don't know if it matters for this question but I'm 6'3" and like 295lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1533clydesdale View Post
    I just picked up a 2007 kona scrap and it is my first DJ type bike. Man I didn't know what I was missing this thing is so much fun!! It has the stock 2x8 gearing on it, but it came with an SS kit and I am wondering if it's worthwile to switch it over or not. I am pretty new to all this stuff and am mostly just riding street around the neighborhood. Not sure which setup is better for my riding. I don't know if it matters for this question but I'm 6'3" and like 295lbs.
    sweet ! rad to see you got a bike. some reasons for going SS:
    1) gears needed only for crazy terrain or racing people with gears
    2) ultra low maintenance
    3) no slap/rattle
    4) elegant simplicity

Team Chilidog!
    I run gears because my gear depends on how my knees and hips are feeling. Also, it's easier to practice wheelies in the easier gears.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Gears or SS for my new DJ

Gears on a DJ are great if you're going to double up on freeride or hit some DH with it and you have to climb to get anywhere. But for urban, street or jumping, SS is sufficient, if not preferred. Even if my urban sessions cover a long distance (like 20 miles) I don't feel gears are required. Really, how much climbing do you do while street riding?

Speed is secondary on urban sessions; flow is primary. Using momentum to retain speed, as opposed to shifting and pedaling, is (to me), key. A lot of guys now not only run SS, but brakeless, as well.

Sent from CouchPad via Outer Space

mtbr member
    If your riding street, no need for gears. Just added maintenance and weight. Also, more to break.

Like these guys said, if you racing or doing dh or trials they will help, but for a street DJ don't even bother with them.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    i did both. getting the correct gear was a problem i kept on running into when doing some urban areas, but most the time i just kept it in one gear. then caught the derailleur on a curb and end of gears.

if going ss, do some research on what you want to run gear wise. i was running a 32/16 for awhile then dropped to a 28/13 but im also on a 26/24 wheel setup. my buddy was running a 23/9 gearing and i almost died trying to get the thing moving where mine is enough to run with guys at the bmx track and have decent starts

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the replies, based on what everyone said, I think I'll give the SS a try. If I decide it's not for me I can always switch it back.