mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Gearing questions!

So I have been riding my STP with a 2:1 Ratio, 32 f and 16 r. I have been building some decent Dj's and riding them and practicing on 180's but for some damn reason I can't seem to half cab out of anything. I can hit the brake and twist the damn bike around but then I can't get the leg strength to push the bike forward.

I like how the ratio gives me a ton of speed but my acceleration from a dead stop sucks What gear ratio should I try next that will still give me enough speed to hit my jumps but also gives me acceleration enough to complete my half cabs and what not.

Oh I will be posting some pics of my Dj's as soon as I get a few more built I only got one really good launch and landing now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    bump

dirt rules
    2:1 is already too light for most people I know. How much do you weigh? You are either very small, or extremely overweight.
    You should be able to half cab and continue your momentum WITHOUT pedaling, your gear ratio is irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am 5'9 or 5'10 and im 220lbs. On my trials bike I always had to pedal out of a half cab.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    try positioning your leading pedal a little further forward it may be ending up to high to crank out easily

dirt rules
    Sounds like you just need to get used to it.
    Coming from trials gearing, 2:1 probably feels pretty high, but it really isn't... Almost everyone I ride with rolls with a higher gear than that. My STP is 2.3:1 (28/12)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah maybe. I have been riding trials for the past year so I maybe got a little used to it. thanks for the advice.