mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Gear rubbing on frame what to do?

I just bought my kHs dj25 and I didn’t notice that the 3th gear was rubbing up against my frame. The gear now has taken off a few milla meters(mm) of material off the frame. I am not sure if its going to take any more off the frame, but doesnt look like it. Is it still safe to ride my bike and should I get a new gear set...what do you think i should do?
    Last edited by 2005avtj; 03-16-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Are you talking about the granny ring clearance on your crankset?

Do you use that ring? If not, just take it off.

If you do, and you have external bb, get a spacer to move the drive side out buy a mm or two. Either way I'd get that figured out ASAP.

Did you buy this bike used?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The sad thing is i bought it new and kinda heard something catching didnt know what it was till i saw it. I am guessing the material the gears are made of weak or cheap steel. I cant take the gear set apart so does that mean I have to buy a new set?

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Well I would first say take it back to the shop and say wtf.

But if you just ignored it for a long time and can't reasonably ask the LBS to warranty it, I'd say remove the granny ring; doesn't your crankset have the 4 bolt crank? I looked at an 08 and it looks like it does.

If it's riveted to the chainrings, then I'd say think about getting a new crankset, like some hussefelts or race faces bc it looks like its the standard 68mm shell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    that sucks. I agree with Yo! take it back to the shop adn get them to fix it, if its not to late. If it's to late that that gear ring off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have the 07 model and in 08 they removed the 3rd ring...I am guessing I was wasnt the only one with that problem. I called the shop but they said it was too late cause I should have brought it back if it didnt seem right. I should have been more careful moving the bike around or what not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That sucks. it seems like most bike shops I have been to are the same way. they are great till they get your money and then they **** on you. I have only been to two really good shops. One just went into forclosure and the other one is about an hour away frmo me, in New Market MD.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Yea, I checked and the 07's have the $30 shimano square taper crank w the 122mm spindle/68mm isis style bb, and unfortunately the chainring pack is riveted.

Shop around for a new set if you've got the cash. You can get a decent crankset for around $100 and your frame will support it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yo, i noticed that you have a set of Race Face Evolve DH cranks '08 how is that working out for you?I am not hardcore or anything like that but i am heavy (210lbs) how is that set holding up for you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Shouldn't you be able to rotate your chainguide counter-clockwise to give you more clearance? It's a quick adjustment, try it out.

mtbr member
    a pic?
    i ride my bi*ch hard

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005avtj
    Yo, i noticed that you have a set of Race Face Evolve DH cranks '08 how is that working out for you?I am not hardcore or anything like that but i am heavy (210lbs) how is that set holding up for you?
    Sorry for getting back on this so late, but dude, I bought the Race Faces bc I love their products and I got them NIB for $130. They're stiff as hell and made my Hussefelts feel like stretch armstrong.

I'd definitely recommend; basically a set and forget crankset.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jawdrop on hardtail
    Shouldn't you be able to rotate your chainguide counter-clockwise to give you more clearance? It's a quick adjustment, try it out.
    That's just it. The cranks have a 3 ring pack if I'm not mistaken, so there is no chainguide to adjust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I know i should of took a pic of it but i didnt... i just sent it off to the LBS to fix the problem i went with a 2 front gear setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo!
    Sorry for getting back on this so late, but dude, I bought the Race Faces bc I love their products and I got them NIB for $130. They're stiff as hell and made my Hussefelts feel like stretch armstrong.

I'd definitely recommend; basically a set and forget crankset.
    lol awww I knew I should of bought that...instead I went with the LBS recommendation of the Truvativ crank setů