mtbr member

gear ratio/ gear inch. Really confused!!!!

Hey guys. Im really confused with gear inches. I usually hear people say " use a 2:1 ratio" Well a 2:1 ratio on 26" is a 52.00 gear inch. i like the feel. but then whem i look at alot of 24" bikes, they run ratios like 28:12 (56.00 gear inch) and 25:11 (54.5 gear inch). Am i missing something a bout gear inches and ratios? Shouldnt they run something like 28:13 (51.7 gear inch)?? Do people with 24" bikes just like a harder gear, or are gear inches on 24" and 26" feel different? I want something that feels like 2:1, (32:16) with 26", but on 24" wheels, which I would think would be 28:13. Am i right or wrong? because so many people run 28: 12 on 24"s.

mtbr remember
    you pretty much got it... just don't let the stupid numbers confuse you....

typical bmx is 55. damn, I just saw a nice table chart around somewhere showing different combos, and it highlighted the best "typical" combos, but I can't find it.

anyway... this also depends on YOU! not necessarily what others run. you have to figure out where your style is:
    Are you a spinner (trials guys) or are you a pounder or cranker who likes to put the weight on the cranks and get high speed?
    also, in your area, do you climb LOTS of hills everyday riding street? do your local dj's require massive speed to clear the first hit, or can you pump your way into it to get speed?
    just some things to think about.
    higher gear inch will get you way more top end speed, but climbing and acceleration can be a bit harder, but with that said, 24's over 26's you get a bit better and easier accleration anyway, so in that case, a slightly taller gear inch is ok if you wish. (unless you are running some super heavy rolling weight, like FUNN 48's and hookworms or something stupid.)

I like 28/12 or 25/11, and I climb a decent amount of long hills everyday (nothing like SanFran or anything). it can get sweaty, but the speed is nice. no good for low speed tech trials type tricks, but that is why I had a trials bike...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    im not really trying to do the same as others, just want to figure out if what i want it to be like is what i think it is. What do you suggest would feel closest 26" wheels with a 32:16 (2:1) on 24" wheels? 25:11 or 25:12 ?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    im not really trying to do the same as others, just want to figure out if what i want it to be like is what i think it is. What do you suggest would feel closest 26" wheels with a 32:16 (2:1) on 24" wheels? 25:11 or 25:12 ?

25:12.5 would be the closest to 2:1

if you are really worried about matching up all of these numbers...

go 24:11 or 28:13... well, you'll find out when you build'er up...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    I guess what im tryin to say is, does gear inch, if calculated correcty (yes, I put the wheel size into the calculations) feel the same between 24"s and 26"? Example would a 52.00 gear inch on 24's feel the same as a 52.00 gear inch on 26's. Or is there another factor I have to consider.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I guess what im tryin to say is, does gear inch, if calculated correcty (yes, I put the wheel size into the calculations) feel the same between 24"s and 26"? Example would a 52.00 gear inch on 24's feel the same as a 52.00 gear inch on 26's. Or is there another factor I have to consider.

yeah, sure, they'll feel different. 24's will feel quicker, maybe even a bit squirrelly to some. lower center of gravity as well.
    I can't get into the physics of it, but I think with the less rotating mass/smaller dia., you can run a slightly higher gear inch and get away with it, but this is just so minor, as well as relative to your wheelset/tire/tube combo's weight.
    don't get too worried about it, that eastern hub comes with plenty of cogs to try out.
    Schralp it Heavy.