mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Gary Fisher Mullet SS v Giant STP SS

Ok guys, need some help here. I'm looking into getting a dirt jumper mainly for urban stuff but would also like to DJ as well. I'm looking into doing manuals, riding off of probably no more than 3-4ft ledges, and riding down some stair cases. A little bit about me, I'm about 5' 10" and 200lbs. Where does the $130 price difference come from between the Mullet and the STP (the STP being the more expensive one)? Both are single speed and have the DJ3's on them. Is it in the brakes and wheels? Which one do you think will work for someone like me the best? I noticed the STP's seat can go down a little farther than the Mullet, and I could get my fat butt back and down farther. Is there anything else in that price range you could recommend that might be better? I know it all comes down to feel and what I'm going to like best, but I'm just looking for some other oppinions. And I am in college, so if I could save $130 that would be great.

STP-http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2276/32137/

Mullet-http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mullet-ss/detail
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I am about your size and just built a Mongoose Ritual. There are several other bikes I would consider but of the 2, I prefer the STP. You should try to ride both before purchasing.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My friend has an STP....great bike... geometry is good.

JWA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm roughly the same size as you, and wanted to use the bike for basically the same things (plus riding local BMX tracks). Being new to the DJ/Urban/BMX side of the sport I read through all of the reviews and went with the STP1. I got the bike last week and have been to the BMX track twice now and I'm very happy with it. It seems to be well-built and is easily maneuverable. I'm very happy with it so far.

List prices may be $130 off, but street prices are probably a lot closer. My local shop quoted me under $700 for the STP1, for example. the STP SS would have been $650.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Can't go wrong with the STP. The mullet doesn't even compare the quality of the STP imo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    They are both excellent bikes, and both will serve you well. I would say they are about equal as far as direct comparison goes. If you can test them, that would be your best bet. Also, don't judge them by pictures, the mullet's geometry is a bit different than the traditional DJ bike.

The white looks sharp on the STP though, that's enough reason for me.

mtbr member
    STP, end of discussion

No but really, last year I was making the same choice. I knew i wanted a SS DJ bike. I had narrowed it down between a Mullet or an STP. I rode a mullet at Ray's Indoor and liked it pretty well. Then I got the chance to ride a STP and my local BMX track and loved it. the next week I ordered mine and I have never regretted it since.

If you can I would ride both first but my money say's you will like the STP better. The only thing I noticed is the gearing is a little tall on the STP from the box. I dropped mine from a 36t to a 32t and that made all the difference

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JWA
    List prices may be $130 off, but street prices are probably a lot closer. My local shop quoted me under $700 for the STP1, for example. the STP SS would have been $650.
    Whoa! $650!!! I'm definitely gonna have to go to the bike shop and ask. On Giant's site they say $920.

I know what you're saying about the white, it just looks plain awesome like that and the anodized orange parts.
    Bikes represent the mentality that the world is a place meant to be explored and enjoyed

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    just got myself an 09' P.1 and i love it

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You should have bought an 08 because the prices were considerably cheaper for both bikes. I do the same type of that you desire to do on the STP ss. I thought about the mullet and I was about to buy one, but fisher stopped making the 08 half way through the year. The only difference between and 08 stp and 09 is a thru axel. Every company tried to change their specs to justify the price increase. I feel like the mullet is more all mountain.
    Karate Kid 3 changed my life.

mtbr member
    The top tube angle on the Mullet almost puts it in more of a mountain category vs. dirt jumper from my point of view. I see a DJ bike as something with a low top tube so you can bail easily, but maybe that's just me.