mtbr member

FSA Gap crankset?

I kind of (read: completely) destroyed the lower-ish-end FSA cranks that came on my Scrap...I had the opportunity to upgrade to the Gap for a very very reasonable price, which I did. I have yet to install them yet (they will probably be in my mailbox when I get back into town) but I was curious if you guys have any experience with them. I'm guessing they will last me longer than the originals (which was really only a few weeks) but am I going to destroy these as well? The warranty guys took care of me, but at the same time I don't want to go through crankarms like kleenex.

Any info you guys have would be appreciated...if I break these I'll probably just say "fuggit" and get a set of Profile cranks. I'd rather have something heavy and indestructible than something lightweight. I'm a big dood-6'6" and 225- I can take a dump before I go out and lose 2 pounds, so I'm not really worried about weight.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    You didn't say which cranks were on your Scrap, but it's probably a safe bet that the Gap is going to be better... You are a big fella, so maybe steel cranks are the only way to go, but Eric Porter has been riding the same pair of Gaps on his jumping bike all season without any problems that I know of.

Also, the MegaExo Quad bearing setup on the new Gap is quite a bit stiffer and more durable than a regular external bearing BB, and worlds better than ISIS Drive.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
    I kind of (read: completely) destroyed the lower-ish-end FSA cranks that came on my Scrap...I had the opportunity to upgrade to the Gap for a very very reasonable price, which I did. I have yet to install them yet (they will probably be in my mailbox when I get back into town) but I was curious if you guys have any experience with them. I'm guessing they will last me longer than the originals (which was really only a few weeks) but am I going to destroy these as well? The warranty guys took care of me, but at the same time I don't want to go through crankarms like kleenex.

Any info you guys have would be appreciated...if I break these I'll probably just say "fuggit" and get a set of Profile cranks. I'd rather have something heavy and indestructible than something lightweight. I'm a big dood-6'6" and 225- I can take a dump before I go out and lose 2 pounds, so I'm not really worried about weight.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Also, the MegaExo Quad bearing setup on the new Gap is quite a bit stiffer and more durable than a regular external bearing BB, and worlds better than ISIS Drive.

JMH
    actually, I was just curious, do these wider double external bearings require a longer crank spindle??
    Schralp it Heavy.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yes, the spindle is longer becase the bearings stick out almost twice as far... the spider is also designed to account for the greater offset.

I am running the new Gravity version on my 7point7, and with the 83mm shell and super-wide bearings, my feet are like 12" apart! It's nice, though, on the big bike. Gives you all kinds of room.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    actually, I was just curious, do these wider double external bearings require a longer crank spindle??

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Yes, the spindle is longer becase the bearings stick out almost twice as far... the spider is also designed to account for the greater offset.

I am running the new Gravity version on my 7point7, and with the 83mm shell and super-wide bearings, my feet are like 12" apart! It's nice, though, on the big bike. Gives you all kinds of room.

JMH
    sorry to piratize here...

yeah, wow, those are off the list then. I was pondering picking up just the bb from that crankset to use on those new DMR ex-types, but I think that combo is off the list for me now. Does your 7point7 have a 150mm rear end?? I'm only running a 12X135 on the bike I'm referring to...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Stand back
    Yeah, 7 points are 83/150. I honestly don't notice the difference tho, going from my roadbike to my Sunday. Maybe if you have knee issues and you're trying for full leg extension it'd be a different story...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by GorillaTactics
    I can take a dump before I go out and lose 2 pounds, so I'm not really worried about weight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...