Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

front brake or no front brake?

i just got rid of my front brake yesterday in an attempt to save weight so i've just got my hfx9 with an 8'' rotor in the back. i haven't had a chance to ride it yet cause it's pouring rain but people are already telling me i'm crazy and won't be able to stop. i was just wondering how many of you guys are / aren't running front brakes.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    i am. dont no why tho....

i need that thing of

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    when i go for my custom build i probably won't use a front brake
    it's nice for when i ride trails, but i can't recall an instance when i was really glad i had one when i was riding urban or DJ

Premium Member
    I never use a front brake, if any brakes at all for DJ/Urban. Look at BMX. You don't need a F brake unless you're riding XC/DH trails.

mtbr member
    i run both a F and R brake but, i really never use the front one unless there is something i really need to stop for. you mite feel a bit weird without it at first, but not for long im sure. i mite just get a better rear brake and drop my front all together in the future, but im a bit iffy doing that on DS tracks...

mtbr remember
    new "mid" brake. mount it on the bb spindle. holds your cranks in place for no footers as well, so you never misplace a foot again.

seriously though, I run rear only, no front on my street ride. Same as my bmx, same philosophy, similar feel. run a bb7, but have pondered swapping to a 140mm monomini just never got around to it yet. 8" rear is complete overkill... is this on your downhill bike that you removed the front brake? not smart in that case...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Portland, OR
    I just threw a front brake on my street/urban/DJ bike today, hated it, took it off. I just run a rear brake. scary thing is too, its just a MX-2 mechanical with way worn pads and a 160mm rotor. people would piss their pants riding that brake ...does fine for me
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    new "mid" brake. mount it on the bb spindle. holds your cranks in place for no footers as well, so you never misplace a foot again.

seriously though, I run rear only, no front on my street ride. Same as my bmx, same philosophy, similar feel. run a bb7, but have pondered swapping to a 140mm monomini just never got around to it yet. 8" rear is complete overkill... is this on your downhill bike that you removed the front brake? not smart in that case...
    Naw, overkill was dual 203s on my 24s.

I've just not gotten around to going back to smaller rotors. I rely on my front brake for most of my stopping power still, I could do without it, but I like having it there.

Just Ride
    i used to be really weird about running a front brake but a couple times came up when i couldnt get it backon and sh!t in time and now i prefer no front brake. some how i ride better. something to do with the wheels rotating mass keeping me stable or some bullsh!t like that. i dunno i'm keepin it off for now.....actually its goin back on on friday for a race but saterday evening its coming off.

Meh.
    Are you still running the hose through your steerer for the race?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i got a 185 bb7 on the rear and thats all i want...i used to have 160 front and 185 rear, i took the front off because lots of people had it that way so i thought id give it a try. gald i did it to...less cables running round and saves weight

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Are you still running the hose through your steerer for the race?
    nah not worth it. gotta cut it to get it back out again too. and as hardcore as i like to think i am, i doubt i'll be throwin any barspins mid race run haha

I post too much.
    No, my 2006 Norco 416 didn't come with one, and I wouldn't have used it even if it did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    I never use a front brake, if any brakes at all for DJ/Urban. Look at BMX. You don't need a F brake unless you're riding XC/DH trails.
    dude most bmxers have NO brakes

Salsa Shark
    I would run a front brake.
    "Man goes in the cage. Cage goes in the salsa. Shark's in the salsa - our shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat."

resident dumbass
    There is only ONE reason, and one reason alone I run front brake.

Stoppies! If they were an illegal drug, I'd be busted. I like to stoppie my bike onto the curb, pivot my stoppie, and the other day I tried to knock my friend off his bike with a stoppie. Not a DJer, we just happened to have bikes down at a soccer field.

I paid in blood for that. He ran into me, digging his really sharp pedals into my ankle. Good thing I didn't seriously injure anything!

A front brake opens up more trialsy street tricks, but adds more weight. It's pure and total personal preference for DJ/Urban.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

#1 Ho
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    There is only ONE reason, and one reason alone I run front brake.

Stoppies! If they were an illegal drug, I'd be busted. I like to stoppie my bike onto the curb, pivot my stoppie, and the other day I tried to knock my friend off his bike with a stoppie. Not a DJer, we just happened to have bikes down at a soccer field.

I paid in blood for that. He ran into me, digging his really sharp pedals into my ankle. Good thing I didn't seriously injure anything!

A front brake opens up more trialsy street tricks, but adds more weight. It's pure and total personal preference for DJ/Urban.
    I'm with you on this one. Why even ride a bike if you can't stoppie!!
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

resident dumbass
    There's truth there, man. Not that I wouldn't consider going rear brake only if I was on a short budget and wanted to get the best parts for everything, but stoppies are just plain fun to me. Funn like my stem
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    i have mx2 and use only front. u get more power. with no brake on a ss if your chain snaps your deaded
    That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death
    by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it,"
    --A Democratic congressional candidate in Texas.

mtbr member
    I only run rear but that mostly has to do with my anal outlook on having the least amount of moving parts possible on my bike and having the cleanest look possible too. I agree with dirty, thats the only good reason for having a front brake.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by iCrashed
    i have mx2 and use only front. u get more power. with no brake on a ss if your chain snaps your deaded
    Why would the chain influence your ability to brake? They're completely independent.

mtbr member
    hey plurpimpin, how much weight did you loose (approx) taking off your front brake? Or if anyone knows for thatt matter, how much does 1 hfx 9 with lever and rotor and brake line weigh? I might drop mine.

h-town hucker
    only rear. hayes mx-2 6" rotor. it works fine. afront brake would be great more trials oriented stuff, but im riding fine w/out it.

i have a set of hydraulics, but they need new pads and need to be bled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i couldn't tell you for just the brake but i ditched the front and went ss. i dropped an x.9 rear der, e13 sts guide, x.7 shifter, sram 8 speed cassette, and an mx2, lever and 8'' rotor. all in all i lost about 4 pounds which is awesome cause my hardtail is actually managable now that it's down to 34 lbs, it used to be 38! i can really notice the difference, plus ss rocks, i don't have to think anymore, i just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

i use it

i run a front brake, only because i like to do 180 front wheel pivots and nosepicks. its not necessary though... i rode bmx brakeless for 6years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast