i like dirt.

Friend want's a bike

I have a friend who wants to get into biking. His price range is under $500 but preferably around $300. He just needs like an urban bike that he can learn to DJ on and just cruise around town with. He is a noob when it comes to bikes so do you guys have any suggestions for one?

I think maybe an Ironhorse Yakuza Chimpira or Bakuto will be perfect for him but I'm not sure about how much they go for.
    Last edited by InnovateorDie; 11-25-2006 at 10:55 PM.

mtbr member
    the price range is very small, the bakuto is in the price range and i believe the chimpira goes for 499, but im not sure anymore.....both are considered "all around" hardtails. they will handle everything, but they will not do dj's or urban as well as a bike that is made for that.

for the price range they are decent bikes and are great for people just getting started. since it can handle pretty much everything it will help him find out what catagory he really wants to pursue. over the 2 i would go for the chimpira, but the bakuto is cheaper if he is terribly concerned with the price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Gary Fischer Opie its like 400

Premium Member
    KHS DJ series, Specialized Hardrock series, used Steelhead, used/new Specialized P. Bike

Too Kool for Skool
    GT looks like they had a decent street bike for around 600 (ruckus uf?) so maby you could get that on sale.

He could also *gasp* get a bmx. They are cheaper and are designed for street/jump so maby thats an option
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just got a Gary FIsher Opie from my LBS yesterday. I have no complaints except for the seat. It has decent geometry for manuals. I am just starting to get into urban and DJing like your friend. I have only been riding for about 4 months. The Opie isnt the top of the line, but it will be a good bike to start on. You can always build it up. I bought mine for 300, but it was at an end of season sale. It ususally sells for about 350 to 400 at my LBS.

I post too much.
    KHS DJ, used STP. Used Kona DJ bike, That DK 24''(can't remember the name off the top of my head, could it be the general lee?) is pretty dialed too.

Or just get him a bmx, cheaper.