mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Frame recommendation - longer 4x, DJ, Bike Park style

So over the weekend there was a XL Yeti 4X on Ebay that I missed. probably would have been the perfect frameset for chasing my kids at the BMX track and still having fun at the bike park, dirt jumps and slope style courses.

I've seen a few other bikes llike the long Yeti 4X and Intense Tazer VP and Banshee, but is there anything longer like with a 24" top tube or so? Maybe I'm over thinking this and a 23" top tube would be ok. I know the Yeti's get a longer top tube because they really kick the seat tube back. haven't seen a Blur 4X in a long time either.

They make the hardtail frames (Yeti DJ) with a 24" top tube but I'd really like a full suspension design.

Any ideas? Thank you

Team Chilidog!
    I hear you, although I'm probably looking at a small. Been debating between a 4x and a DJ, but right now, I'm leaning towards a 4x for crosstraining without having to play in traffic.

I'd like to use it for urban, DJ, pump and the occasional BMX track fun. And maybe even trying the Dual Slalom at the Sea Otter one year.

And while a DJ may be perfect for what I want, I'm 38 years old and FS is in my future in many cases..
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    ...I'm 38 years old...
    don't use that as an excuse, it's a pretty weak one at best...

mtbr member
    Full Squish 4x bikes are not all that common, since it's a smaller interest versus things like DJs. Some real slick ones I like to drool over though are the 4x bikes from Superco and Staats, both BMX companies. Also the Atomlab Trailking SS has major dirty thoughts factor for me. I used to have a Brodie fully 4x so they are worth looking at. Not sure on any TT lengths though. DMR, Identiti, Mountain Cycle all make 4x frames but don't know about full suspension.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    don't use that as an excuse, it's a pretty weak one at best...
    I don't heal as fast as the youngins

Still going back and forth though, but leaning more towards the Yeti hardtail than the 4x at the moment. It's not like I'm going to clear canyons on it either way, and most folks seems to run their suspension pretty hard on the DJ and 4x bikes, so it's not like it's going to be squishy either way.

Still have much test riding to do.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Check out this thread. I have a Mob and a Killswitch and the top tube sizing is very different when you actually compare cockpit or "reach"....

Killswitch update

mtbr member
    I'll be 49 in 11 days. I ride a Transition Bank and a Transition ToP (Bank is geared, ToP is single speed). You don't need a FS.

Good luck in your search.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Had a similar dilemma. Decided on a Transition Double. I have a long, which fits me well at 6'1". I like twisty-tech trails, and the Double easily gets the job done. With most bikes I'm on the brakes, but this one seems to handle better. Could be the stronger build, I can feel lighter bikes trying not to break when I ride'em!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    i have an Azonic Dirt Dingo Pro XL, am 6'3" and it fits well.

mtbr member
    What top tube length ctc is the Dingo? My son is over 6ft and looking at a dj. Can't seem to find any info on the Dingo geo.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!

Subscribing...

I'm also in the market for a DJ/Pump Track frame. I was really close to ordering a hardtail from the UK but I decided to take a pass. I'm still looking and planning so I'm interested in what recommendations are made here.

‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Just got this info on the Dingo
    Ctc top tube Pro is 21.8"
    Ctc top tube XL is 22.8"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    what if I already have a full suspension mtb bike. what are some thing I can do to make it more into a dj bike?

mtbr member
    pivot m4x

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2