Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the best of both worlds

Fork Recommendations

Looking to upgrade the fork on my '05 Specialized P2. I do both urban and light DJ. I weigh about 220#s. What travel length is best 80 or 100mm? Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Meh.
    What's your budget?

There's about a dozen of these threads already started.

Apparently since I'm a tool (per another thread), I'm going to recommend looking at the Pike and the Argyle. Ease of use, lots of adjustments, great dampening, very solid forks. Gold Labels and slammed Shermans are also nice. I would defiintely recommend a TPC+ Manitou Sherman. They're relatively light, you can permanently reduce the travel (lowest I've reduced one to is 65mm), shimstacks can be played around with to change the feel.

the best of both worlds
    Budget is around $350. I may be looking for a used fork to get more for my $. I'm pretty open right now, I know that I have to replace my Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro because its a piece of $hit. Every time my front wheel leaves the ground it slams open. Feels like the lowers are going to just keep going right on past the stanctions.

I post too much.
    Wow, that is a bad case of top out.

My dj3's don't top out at all, mind you I barely have any air in them(I'm pretty light at 150lbs geared)
    Last edited by snaky69; 10-19-2006 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastNdirty
    Budget is around $350. I may be looking for a used fork to get more for my $. I'm pretty open right now, I know that I have to replace my Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro because its a piece of $hit. Every time my front wheel leaves the ground it slams open. Feels like the lowers are going to just keep going right on past the stanctions.

word bro, i just rode my friends new cowan yesterday that came with a dj3...exact same thing happened. caught me off guard when i was manulling it. there is another thread about this same subject where you could get a ton of info, but i will just say again that i recommend a pike

Meh.
    Some Marzocchi SSV dampened forks have wicked top-out. Check oil levels, run less air pressure, maybe run a more viscous oil.

350 can get you a Pike for sure. Unreal has the air model for 375 new (thus with warranty). But SRAM really isn't a stickler for warranty issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    my dj3's are workin fine on my hardrock

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    im not sure how much they are but the new rock show totems look pretty cool and have got a big right up

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by rolling racer
    im not sure how much they are but the new rock show totems look pretty cool and have got a big right up
    They are over a grand, plus, he's looking into an urban fork, not an 180mm hucking/downhill single crown.

mtbr member
    Yea, remember, we're looking for a street dj fork, not a hucking monster. Anyway, there are many threads on this topic, not trying to be rude, but just do a search and you will get the exact same answers in those threads.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    They are over a grand, plus, he's looking into an urban fork, not an 180mm hucking/downhill single crown.
    Well said.

the best of both worlds
    Ended up getting the new Marz 4X. Feels way better than the Dirt Jam Pro amd much lighter too.

I post too much.
    Thanks for guinea pigging it for us.

mtbr member
    nice. ride it and give us a review

resident dumbass
    Yes, do. Personally, I don't think there is any difference between a 2007 DIrt Jumper and a 4x except 110 mm vs 100 mm, but that's based on the site info.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mmmm, caffeine!
    100, maybe more?

mtbr member
    Im pretty sure there is alarge weight difference

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    Yes, do. Personally, I don't think there is any difference between a 2007 DIrt Jumper and a 4x except 110 mm vs 100 mm, but that's based on the site info.
    The crown is different, the 4x uses an air spring I belive.

resident dumbass
    Brad's customed 4x uses an air spring, but i dunno bout the normal one. WHat's the crown difference?

I post too much.
    Doesn't use pinch bolts and I think it is somewhat of a different shape. Check out marz's site.

There you go, marz 4x, not pinch bolts and holes in the crown to make it lighter. http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...DOggetto=30798

Dj3, pinch bolts and a slightly bigger crown.
    http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...DOggetto=30800

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Pike, Gold Label, or used Nixon. Used to run Marzocchis but the weight is killer and so is quality of the cheaper forks. Top out and bad rebound countrol in general also broke a DJ3 at the drop out.... P frames are heavy as hell to begin with, mine was a tank with a DJ3.

resident dumbass
    Woah, P. frames heavy? Hold on there, my friends p.1 frame is crazy light, compared to mine of course. Mine is atleast 9 pounds (just the frame!).

Meh.
    You just got straight out shafted then. My Coiler weighed under nine WITH THE SHOCK. Stab Supremes weigh around 9.5 with the shock. The Cowan is 5 pounds. My Addict is a hair under 5 pounds. Scott Voltage YZO weighs a hair under 5 with the thru-axle. Even the Azonic Steelhead is only 7.5 pounds. You get the idea.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 10-23-2006 at 12:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    Woah, P. frames heavy? Hold on there, my friends p.1 frame is crazy light, compared to mine of course. Mine is atleast 9 pounds (just the frame!).

What kind of frame is it?!... 9lbs is a ton for a hardtail unless its made from Hi tensile lead?...

Meh.
    He's got a Trek Bruiser.

P1 is going to feel lighter because it doesn't have gears, front brake, other heavy stuff, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast