Old No. 7

Fork options, help.

What are some good fork choices for an trail/dj w/ minimal DH bike?
    I'm looking for something in the 110mm to 150mm range, that can support 230lbs.
    In other words something plush enough for trails, but stiff enough for DJs, adjustibility would be nice too.
    Oh and I'm not a fan of Manitou, haven't had good experiances but if you stand behind a Manitou fork that meets my guidelines let me know. I'd just prefer something else, but am open to ideas.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

resident dumbass
    The 03 DJ 2 would have been your fork. 130 mm, takes impact like nothing else, tough as nails, hot looking, everything! I have one, but I don't like such a tall fork. I've gotten used to it, but I think a shorter fork would be so much easier to throw around.

See if you can find one used. If I think I know the dirt jumper mentality, no one wants a 130mm fork, and you'll probably find a good deal on one somewhere. I got mine I'm pretty sure 3rd hand. it's still as tough as ever!
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    The 03 DJ 2 would have been your fork. 130 mm, takes impact like nothing else, tough as nails, hot looking, everything! I have one, but I don't like such a tall fork. I've gotten used to it, but I think a shorter fork would be so much easier to throw around.

See if you can find one used. If I think I know the dirt jumper mentality, no one wants a 130mm fork, and you'll probably find a good deal on one somewhere. I got mine I'm pretty sure 3rd hand. it's still as tough as ever!
    Is it as stiff as the 04 III? I've had some time on a DJIII and the thing seems fine for DJ, but no bueno for any kind of trail riding, just to stiff.

resident dumbass
    I don't know if it works on the 04 3's, but my 03 2 has these little screw on/off caps on the crown, screw these off, you've got what looks like the airpump hole things on your tires. Depress this little cap on them, watch the compressed air hiss out. Only do this for about half a second on each side, or until you think you're fork is set right, and you make your fork plush enough to handle small bumps. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing I fill it up again with an air pump. Mine was all stiff like you're talking about when I got it, and I quickly figured this out.

Meh.
    DJs have crap dampening. And the o4 and o5 DJs are super heavy and on the tall side.

Old No. 7
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    DJs have crap dampening. And the o4 and o5 DJs are super heavy and on the tall side.
    Sugestions?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need a Pike to me.

Premium Member
    Pike, 36, or the new Zoke AM/Z1 would be good.

resident dumbass
    I resent that! (the part about the dampening). Of course, I set my forks a bit on the stiff side. The 03's weight is a little bit much at first, but it's not a problem. You get used to it. The 04's and the 05's I have no experience with.

A pike is a good bet. Foxes cost too much, but they are crazy light! Haven't ridden one, so I don't know if the fork is worth the money.

Portland, OR
    36 simple as that. I 100% stand by manitou because every marzocchi fork I have ever had has 1. sucked major @ss and 2. broken. so Marzocchi stay away from. especially any fork running SSV. get a Pike or a 36, I'm awaiting a Sherman Firefly wich is suppost to be a freaking amazing fork. just check ebay for a sherman, they can take a real beating and they are super cheap. if you dont want one, get a pike.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    i say pike. i love mine and its super adjustable and great for trail riding djing whatever. i wouldnt go the 36 route just because of the price and pikes are only 5 pounds so there just as light as a 36 .. stay away from o4 and 05 djs theyre way too stiff to trail ride and there super heavy

Meh.
    I resent that! (the part about the dampening). Of course, I set my forks a bit on the stiff side. The 03's weight is a little bit much at first, but it's not a problem. You get used to it. The 04's and the 05's I have no experience with.

A pike is a good bet. Foxes cost too much, but they are crazy light! Haven't ridden one, so I don't know if the fork is worth the money.
    The dampening is crap... SSV/SSVF are spikey at best. The top out like crazy. It's really a joke to call it dampening at all. It's just pushing oil through a little hole. I've done lots of things to make SSV dampened forks better, but they're never as good as HSCV, which is still not as good as TPC+, which is not as nice as Motion Control.

Pike is what you want. Fill it up with Torco RFF 10wt when you do your first oil change. And get the X-firm spring. They're super light too. Get the solid crown and steel steerer (cheapest one).

The Gold Labels are good forks, but they've got some minor bugs to work out. Manitou has always treated me well. It's sad to see some stupid mistakes that could've easily been avoided had the engineer paid a bit more attention.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The dampening is crap... SSV/SSVF are spikey at best. The top out like crazy. It's really a joke to call it dampening at all. It's just pushing oil through a little hole. I've done lots of things to make SSV dampened forks better, but they're never as good as HSCV, which is still not as good as TPC+, which is not as nice as Motion Control.
    actually I disagree. the 66 never topped out, it felt really good....when it was working. but in terms of feel, I think its more like VF, then HSCV then Fluid flow, then TPC+ and then motion controll. the fluid flow wont top/bottem out very easy, they are an okay dampening for the forks.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

resident dumbass
    my DJ2 topping out? Ha ha ha ! That's a good one!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Pikes seem like a popular choice......Which version though? 454 426 409??

Ooops! Disregard I just found the topic dealing with this.

Thanks!
    Last edited by E3DMP; 09-03-2006 at 12:57 PM.

I post too much.
    Would a fox 36 talas set at 100mm be any good for jumping? It is one of my options.

I'm look at a new fork over the winter: Gold Label II, Argyle, DJ1, or 36 Talas, all '07 of course, and I'm wondering which one will fit the bill best. As of now, I know for sure the Gold labels and the dj1 will allow me a full x-up on my bike, I don't know about the other two.

resident dumbass
    Snaky69, you've got a 100mm DJ3 right now, right? If you sell it for a good price, I know I guy who might buy. PM me w/ a price (including shipping) if you decide to sell.

mtbr remember
    I could be wrong, but, I think the 36 still has a pretty tall a2c height, even at 100mm..., and I doubt you'll have downtube clearance... I just wouldn't go that route, but just so you know, there are some going for cheap on ebay right now! I'm currently looking at putting the Van on my Rail, but everybody has the stupid talas... van is more rare than I expected...

yeah, btw, my 06' DJ2 tops out. but I just don't care, I didn't buy the fork for it's damping, just something stiff, solid, (so far reliable), and to take the edge off when I mess up. I don't want to ride street floating around in sag anyway.
    Schralp it Heavy.

resident dumbass
    I just realized something, and if it turns out this way, I'm going to feel really stupid. When everyone says dirt jumpers top out, I was thinking of the fork going all the way down. My fork doesn't do that, btw. Am I thinking of the right topping out?

mtbr remember
    I just realized something, and if it turns out this way, I'm going to feel really stupid. When everyone says dirt jumpers top out, I was thinking of the fork going all the way down. My fork doesn't do that, btw. Am I thinking of the right topping out?
    compressed all the way means = bottomed out.
    fully extended to the limit = topped out, and when "topping out" is usually referred to as a bad thing, it means that on the rebound stroke, the fork will (usually) harshly hit the limit of extension, or this could mean that it rides topped out, instead of with sag... this is probably what you had confused.
    Schralp it Heavy.

I post too much.
    Snaky69, you've got a 100mm DJ3 right now, right? If you sell it for a good price, I know I guy who might buy. PM me w/ a price (including shipping) if you decide to sell.
    I've already got a buyer, I'm sorry. It's an 80mm '06 dj3 though. My lbs has them for 400$CDN right now, brand new, still in the box and all.

I post too much.
    My dj3 never tops out, neither has any dj fork I have tried(5 different ones, different years, on different bikes).

resident dumbass
    Oh good: it doesn't do that either. Phew. I almost looked really stupid there.