Thread: Flat Tires

mtbr member

Flat Tires

Just moved from the mountains to the city about a month ago. I've been riding on the street but it seems that everytime I go out and ride, I'm getting flat tires. Pulled off the knobby tires, got some k-rad's, lined them with an old downhill tube still getting flats. Riding a kona stuff...I'm 210 lbs., am I just to big for street??

mtbr member
    Pump them jokers up. I've got K-Rads (2.3") and I run mine with at least 65 pounds. What kind of flats? Pinch flats? or just debris? I'm only about 165lbs so I'm not stressing them as much but, I've only had one flat. It was a pinch from coming up short on a sharpedged ledge. Also, take the tire off and look for a spoke that may be rubbing or poking through.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    TXhucker has great advice. If you are riding urban and jumping etc, you need some high pressure. I weigh 140 and I roll 40# per tire at a minimum, and that's really on the low side- I should be doing 50-55 for safety's sake. If you are getting thorn holes, try the anti-flat tubes and maybe some tire slime. They are heavy but cut down on flats.

I used to have a wheel that would always go flat for no reason. Finally I stripped tire and tube off and found a sharp sliver of Aluminum floating around from when I drilled out my presta holes. It was slicing open tubes from the inside! Worth a look maybe.

Meh.
    You definitely want to pump those suckers up. As mentioned, inspect the inside of the tire and rim for any debris. If you have a rubber rim strip, you may want to use a nice cloth one, or even double up on them.

I have my DMR Moto Diggers sitting at 90. I've gotten my Hookworms up to 110 before.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I'd only been running about 35 lbs. of pressure. I also picked up a massive downhill tube, so hopefully it won't pinch as easy. Broken hub and wheel this weekend, so I guess, I'll start a new thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HANKg
    Thanks guys. I'd only been running about 35 lbs. of pressure. I also picked up a massive downhill tube, so hopefully it won't pinch as easy. Broken hub and wheel this weekend, so I guess, I'll start a new thread.
    You could also try picking up a rim that is hard to pinch like a double track or double wide

mtbr member
    Are those rims wider than a normal rim?

mtbr member
    What PSI do you have your tires set at
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    I had them set at 35, pushed them up to 45, and they need to go higher....i'm thinkin 60lbs? All the shops in raleigh sell extra thin tubes, i blew one out pumpin it to 50 last week.

mtbr member
    Yeah try 60 lbs and see how that works.

mtbr member
    Try a pair of Maxxis DH tubes ever sence I got a pair of them I have never had a flat sence.