Thread: Flame to dirt

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Flame to dirt

Working on a slalom line, very similar to a bmx course style build. Anyways, we're working with a clay dominant loam, and being near Seattle we're smack dab right in a weather pattern of days of constant rain. The dirt literally turns to pudding before we get real compaction set in (blue groove).

Yesterday i started covering everything up with tarps while it's fresh. Now i'm considering taking a propane torch to it. i have a nice torch used for roofing. In order to actually be able to shape the dirt i would like to try putting some heat to it, since we're hardly going to see the sun for a while.

Question, who's done it, and how are the results.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Why not try...

...calcium or rock salt, it works to dry stuff up at the BMX track!

The ground is a huge heatsink and don't know if you can get enough heat to make it work!

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This is a common technique used by dirt jumpers.

you need to make sure the majority of the dirt pile is well drained. A common mistake is that people dry just the surface of the dirt but the dirt under it is still very wet. So it looks ready to ride but falls apart quickly.

The best thing to do at this stage (mid winter) is to cover dirt piles with black plastic. this will help keep additional water out of the pile/dirt/berm/landing. it's too wet to ride newly built dirt jumps right now anyways..

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pnj View Post
    This is a common technique used by dirt jumpers.

you need to make sure the majority of the dirt pile is well drained. A common mistake is that people dry just the surface of the dirt but the dirt under it is still very wet. So it looks ready to ride but falls apart quickly.

The best thing to do at this stage (mid winter) is to cover dirt piles with black plastic. this will help keep additional water out of the pile/dirt/berm/landing. it's too wet to ride newly built dirt jumps right now anyways..
    Thanks, i really thought through this in the last few days so i've already contemplated having a crust. But i wanted to hear from people that do it. i should have reached out to you personally anyways on this...

And we already have our black plastic covering all out new stuff now.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Skookum, any chance you're working on Deuces Wild??? I've done a couple build days on it with EMBA, so it would be weird if you're somebody I worked with...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgriffen_1 View Post
    Skookum, any chance you're working on Deuces Wild??? I've done a couple build days on it with EMBA, so it would be weird if you're somebody I worked with...
    Why would that be weird?
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Ha, I suppose I should say something brainy about the interwoven social circles in our social-media-riddled modern society, but hey, I'm just curious. I'm Wade, the one with the old red Specialized. You are?