mtbr member

first dj session

After asking around and searching for a while I finally found out where the local dirt jumps are. It will be my first time attempting jumps so i'm very excited but also nervous. I've taken drops trail riding and done small jumps i've set up in my back yard but nothing else. In my mind I can see myself doing really well, but I know that won't be so. So on that note, does anyone have any suggestions or advice on dirt jumping?

For your humor, I'll take a camera so I can post myself looking like a fool.

Air Junkie
    Drop the nose when landing and you should be good.

I post too much.
    try it on jumps without a gap first, they are a lot more forgiving. Try to get a feel for boosting(it's almost like bunny hopping off a lip).

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    It took me a long time and many crashes to learn this, make sure you have enough speed to make the gap if there is one, and Pump the face of the jump, just like you would if you were try to carve a bowl at a skate park, or "Boost" up a quarter. Its really important, and if you learn it now it can save you lots of pain, and bike parts if your not riding a 20" in the long run.
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

Local Paperboy Hero
    I think the most important thing is to start small and work your way up. Start on some small doubles or tables. Once you've got it clicked, try something bigger. Sudden_Judgement is right about dropping the nose, but that can be dangerous when learning. Try to keep the bike level for now, then, at worst, you might case the back wheel... front casing might keep you out of DJing forever.

Also, remember to relax. A lot of riders are too tense when they're learning and it causes them to come off the lip at funky angles and then they're not able to adjust in the air. A few beers should do the trick...

Oh, another thing to think about is trying to learn on a BMX track. Most BMX tracks will have a variety of jumps, once you can do those, then try real dirt jumps. Ride on!!

mtbr member
    Well I went out to the jumps and did about as I thought I would...pretty bad. It looks like it's been a couple months since anyone has been out there so it needs a little cleaning and grooming. Also there are some spots that hold water and it rained the other day so that limited some of the lines. I did find one smaller jump, maybe a two or three foot gap, so I praticed on it for a while. I'm not sure if it is because I don't really know what i'm doing or the lip was worn away, but I was having trouble landing right. I was freezing up at first, so i tried to relax, but it didn't help any. My buddy who was watching said that when my front wheel left the ramp it went straight instead of up and when the back wheel left it would just kick my back up into the air making for some pretty humorous landings and a few nice bruises. When i tried to lift up on the front while going over it, I would get all cockywobbled in the air and my feet would slip off the pedals when i landed. I'm gonna keep heading out there and see if i can't get better. Next week i'm going to go out with some guys who are better at it so maybe they can help me.
    Forgot to take the camera so I don't have any sweet pics, i'll try and remember it next time.

tuck-n-roll master
    Know how to properly fall. Never stick your arm out when falling. That only leads too snappage or a dislocation. Try to roll. I'm not one to ditch a bike, but don't be afraid to kick it away from you. A broken part is better than being impaled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    my dj advice is to spot those landings and be fearless!

mtbr member
    I had my second chance to go hit the dj's today and it was amazing. I went with a buddy of mine and we showed up with about 30 minutes of light left. Started hitting the little jump that I did last time and first few times were a little off, but then i just started feeling it. I rolled up at a fast but comfortable speed, pulled up when I hit the lip, and pushed down when I landed and it was just smooth. very nice change from last ride. Then after a few warm up jumps we started hitting bigger jumps and it just worked. We ran out of light before we could try some lines with multiple jumps, but i'll go back tomorrow for sure. Got a little too baked and forgot the camera. Maybe by the time i remember it we'll be able to spice it up and do some tricks.

I post too much.
    Nice to hear you're progressing Falcon, keep us posted!

mtbr member
    word man, that's what it's all about! glad you're having a good time.