mtbr member
    Jul 2011

First Dj Build. In progress. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks to everyone who helped me learn about geos and sizing when it comes to what I plan to do with this bike. Coming from pretty much XC this is a whole new world to me. For now i plan to just use this as a big wheeled bmx. Maybe some day ill take it to a jump park and see how big my balls are...

Ill use this as a log until its complete.

The build is pretty much this - still waiting on the fork and a 2nd brake.

Giant STP Frame
    Marzo DJ2 Fork
    Take-off wheelset from my trance
    LX Crank 175mm
    Wellgo Platforms
    Easton stem
    Funn Risers
    BB7's with the front routed through the headset topcap

Totally a budget build, and i understand that. As i get more involved/skilled i plan to upgrade.

As for my gearing, I managed to find a magic gear and run it SS without having to use a tensioner/half-link!
    36-16 to give me 58.5 gear inches. Never ridden a bike like this but from the research i did it seems people prefer between 55-60

The cranks rotate fine both directions but i do feel it may be on the tight side. I put the wheel snug in the dropout and then placed the chain on the top teeth of the chainring. I then rotate the crank and it rolled the chain in place. Theres not very much play when i press the chain in the middle top/bottom which worries me. I should have taken a picture of how much i am able to squeeze the chain so you guys have a better idea.

I really do not want to use a tension and i also still have a half link but from what i was testing out, using it would probably allow chain drop on hard hits.

What do you guys suggest?
    Any other tips/advice on the overall bike is welcomed.
    Thanks!

gearstomorrow
    Looks like a solid start! The chain tension shouldn't be an issue unless there's too much pressure for the cassette/bb bearings to spin smoothly. Remember that the chain will stretch after a while, so it's better to be on the tight side when using a magic gear.

I look forward to seeing the finished bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the reply! I can't wait u till its finished. Once the fork comes in the mail it will be complete that same day. Should I even run a front brake if I'm only doing street? I notice a lot of dj riders take off the front.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I can't wait u till its finished. Once the fork comes in the mail it will be complete that same day. Should I even run a front brake if I'm only doing street? I notice a lot of dj riders take off the front.
    If you wanna be one of those people who do what everyone else does just because they're afraid they won't fit in, then don't use a front brake. If you wanna be practical and have front brakes, then put a front brake on. It's up to you though. it's not like your bike is gonna look uncool for having front brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Grass hopper View Post
    If you wanna be one of those people who do what everyone else does just because they're afraid they won't fit in, then don't use a front brake. If you wanna be practical and have front brakes, then put a front brake on. It's up to you though. it's not like your bike is gonna look uncool for having front brakes.
    True that.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here it is for the most part. Just waiting on brake levers and a couple of other small brake bits. Trading an ardent for some holy rollers.

mtbr member
    Awesome man! Bet you can't wait to ride it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    that thing is bad, how much did it set you back being a budget build?