Lightly salted

First Dj build, few questions.

I bought a deity vendetta III crankset with a 28t termite chainring for 1/8" chain. I have a surly 14t cog made for 3/32" chains. Will the 3/32" cog be ok with a 1/8" chain? From Internet searching some say it's ok and others say not to do it?
    Another question I had is about my handle bars. I bought and installed a deity villain III handle bar which is 25.4 and has a 3" rise aluminum bars. Deity states they are for DJ and urban, but I'm a little nervous they wont be strong enough. If I stand over my bike and put my weight down on the bars I can feel them flex pretty easy. I weight 190lbs ready to ride, are the villain III bars strong enough? Will be used mostly as a pump track bike/ easy dirt jumps and some urban. I'm thinking I should have went with the cromo Atomlab 25.4, 3" riser bars?
    Last edited by fuenstock; 12-10-2012 at 07:36 PM.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    i have the pimp 3" risers. they took some hell and are still in good condition and i weigh 260. aluminum will flex more, but are still strong (i have a set on my trials bike and i feel like im gunna snap them in half)

on the chain, you need to go with a 1/8" half link to get proper seating. but for the best option, get a rear hub that excepts freewheels or go to a driver and drop the sprocket to a 25 or 23t. i had a 28/13 setup. chain length came out pretty close with very little adjustment needed (ns frame vendetta 2 cranks ns roller hub with odyssey 13t freewheel

Lightly salted
    Thanks for the info.
    That flex in the villain III bars just feels weird to me. I never felt flex like that in any of my mountain bike bars. I wonder if the flex in the villain III bars is by design? To take the sting out of your hands when using rigid forks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You don't need a half link chain, that's rubbish, and using a 3/32" cog with a 1/8" chain will be fine, the worst you'll do is wear it out faster.....

mtbr member
    The "common wisdom" is that steel flexes more than aluminum, but steel is also less brittle. Aluminum is more prone to cracking/snapping while steel is more prone to bending (although I've definitely seen cracking/snapping with steel as well).

Snapped bars while riding is pretty rare. Usually people bend/break bars when they throw their bike.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    You don't need a half link chain, that's rubbish, and using a 3/32" cog with a 1/8" chain will be fine, the worst you'll do is wear it out faster.....
    half links are easier to get the chain length correct. i run my axle slammed to the front without tensioner. i just find half links easier to cut to length with little adjusting. im getting more life out of my dk exo then a sram pc1. year and a half at half stretch with the exo i change pc1s within 3 months at over full stretch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah, fair enough.

I've never had much luck with them, they just stretch too much for me, no matter what I've tried.

I also run slammed and a little stretch in the chain makes a minor difference - I've never met a chain that doesn't stretch - but a lot of stretch is a P.I.A., and that has been my experience with half-links.....at the same time I'm not a huge fan of pc1s either.....

Lightly salted
    Thanks for the info guys,
    Heres my build so far. Im just waiting on the wheelset and a single speed 1/8 chain to finish it up. The wheels on it now are just to get a feel for fit. I think I'm going to switch the 3" rise bars to 2" rise and go cromo instead of aluminum. I was going to order a black 2" rise pimp bar today. Atomlab is out of stock. Any other good option for 2" rise 28" or wider cromo bars 25.4 ? Being that I'm only 5'6" tall the 3" rise feel to tall for me even though the stem is right ontop the headset with no spacers. I feel like I could j-hop higher if my bars were lower, allowing me to pull the bars/front wheel up higher. Then again this is my first real Dj build so maybe I should give the tall bars a chance before going to a lower rise? Alot of the dj builds I've seen have 3" bars from what I've noticed. On my mountain bikes I'm used to running my bars very low.

Last edited by fuenstock; 12-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    i have the ns proof bars on my dj. i cant say anything bad about them. they are lighter then my pimp bars but they are a 3" rise. but only thing ns has that is a 2" rise are the terras but those are the 31.8.

check out chainreaction for some bars. they tend to be easier on the pocket. another place is bikeparts.com. but their inventory is crazy and half the time you gotta call.

Lightly salted
    Quick update,
    I tried the 3" rise bars for a while and decided a 2" rise would be a better fit for me. I'm very happy with the way the bike came out. Great feel and easy to get off the ground.