mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Finished my steelhead build!

After almost five months of waiting, problems, having to order three bottom brackets, my bike is FINALLY finished.

Everyone who says the hookworms are heavy is right, they are damn heavy. Pulling the front up is pretty hard compared to what I expected. The BB to axle length is like 16.5-17" which is pretty long, but thanks to azonic's stupid design for mounting the rear caliper I don't have a choice and my stays end up being an inch longer effectively.

I did ride it for like ten minutes outside, down some stairsets and doing some pivots, and already the front wheel is slightly out of true (azonic outlaw). I'm gonna take that as routine new bike problems and let it slide. I'm just happy to be riding again. And anyone who thinks they need FS to do stairs is a fool, this thing is so smooth! My LBS told me I would need a chainguide or the chain would keep falling off but it seems to be doing fine so far.

Anyway enough talking, I'm just stoked to be riding again. Here are the pics:

Meh.
    Your pictures don't work.

Spokes will settle and stretch when they are new. A quality handbuilt wheel is usually less likely to have these problems.

You don't NEED a chainguide, but it certainly is nice sometimes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Your pictures don't work.

Spokes will settle and stretch when they are new. A quality handbuilt wheel is usually less likely to have these problems.

You don't NEED a chainguide, but it certainly is nice sometimes.

I think I fixed the pics. I don't think I'm gonna get a chainguide unless it really becomes the problem. I did the chain length exactly according to the manual and it seems to be fine. For now it's just extra weight and money.

Now I just need to remember how to ride the damn thing.

I post too much.
    Get your spokes retightened in a week or so, depending on how much you ride, they will stretch and move some, which is normal. Once they're done, have them tensionned once and you should be fine for a long while.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    what's the build specs?

looks good, and enjoy!

Custom User Title
    A little tip.................

Spin the seat post around and then mount the seat. that way you can get a better angle on the seat for a little more comfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Meh.
    You shouldn't have to spin the post around unless you've run out of adjustment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I bought this cheapo seatpost for ten bucks on pricepoint, and the little ridges that are suppposed to hold it in place when it's tightened are mostly sheared off already, and the bolt is bent. No big deal for now...

The build is pretty standard:

'05 Steelhead
    Hayes mags
    Fox float 100RL (temporary only, took it from my XC bike till I can afford a new fork)
    Azonic Outlaw wheelset
    Raceface Evolve DH crankset w/ 34T ring
    SRAM cassette, X.7 rear derailleur, X.7 shifter
    Azonic hotseat
    Sun Ringle ZuZu pedals
    Raceface 50mm
    Raceface diabolus bar
    ODI rogue lock-ons
    Hookworms (heavy!)
    FSA pig DH pro headset
    Truvativ gigapipe team DH BB

I post too much.
    You don't really need those 8inchers, but they do make the bike look mean. Careful with that fork though!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    You don't really need those 8inchers, but they do make the bike look mean. Careful with that fork though!

I know I don't need them, I just like them. I might consider getting a 6 on the front for weight. The hookworms...ugh...heavy! But cushy.

I post too much.
    If anything I'd put the 6incher on the back, modulation is key in the back. So long as you can lock the wheel when needed.

kona-tize me captain
    that bike looks good man, i was gonna get that frame, ran out of cash though....sad story
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Are you running 26's or 24's on that?

mtbr member
    26"

Do you ride trail at all? I would think you'd need a chain guide, kept my chain on when the ride got rough and also made my shifting smooth and quick.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    26"

Do you ride trail at all? I would think you'd need a chain guide, kept my chain on when the ride got rough and also made my shifting smooth and quick.

Yeah, I plan on it when I have more time. I probably will need a chain guide, the chain does fall off now and again and since I have no shifter up there I have to stop and put it back on. It's all good for now though, since they are so friggin expensive.

I post too much.
    I have an e.13 super street guide up for sale if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    I have an e.13 super street guide up for sale if you are interested.
    Perhaps, can you PM me some pictures?

Hey SovietSpy,

I posted in a thread you created a month or two back, and I was going to post pics of my '06 Steelhead. I never got around to it, and I've since lost track of that thread. So here is my beast.
    Attached Images Attached Images