mtbr member
    Jul 2006

a few questions about some mods i wanna do

i have a 2004 haro escape 8.3 and i wanna save some weight. already lookin for some street tires to replace my minions, i'm sure that will help tons

i wanna go 1x9...is there anything special i need to know, or do i just pull off the front der. and chainrings i don't want. i also wanna run a bashguard, should i think about a chain tensioner?

i want to pull off my front brake and that would be easy enough, but do i need to leave the rotor bolts in, or can i leave them out?

anything you guys wanna add that could save me some weight that i'm not thinking of would help too. sorry, i'm pretty useless when it comes to bike mechanics, lol.

mtbr member
    remove the back brake, the front hase much more of the power.
    That lowdown scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death
    by a jackass, and I'm just the one to do it,"
    --A Democratic congressional candidate in Texas.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Product
    i have a 2004 haro escape 8.3 and i wanna save some weight. already lookin for some street tires to replace my minions, i'm sure that will help tons

i wanna go 1x9...is there anything special i need to know, or do i just pull off the front der. and chainrings i don't want. i also wanna run a bashguard, should i think about a chain tensioner?

i want to pull off my front brake and that would be easy enough, but do i need to leave the rotor bolts in, or can i leave them out?

anything you guys wanna add that could save me some weight that i'm not thinking of would help too. sorry, i'm pretty useless when it comes to bike mechanics, lol.
    Going 1X9 will help with weight, and it is just a matter of removing all the uneeded parts(extra chainring, front derailleur), you can leave the brake rotor bolts out, but keep them, in case you ever go trail riding, you may need your other brake. If you know you won't be using it, sell it off.

As far as shedding weight, tires, tubes, rims are where weight will be felt the most. You can cut any excess seat post(say you always keep it low, you can cut what you're not using.) Bars and stem can help out also. I'd consider going singlespeed if you notice you're usually always in the same gear.

A chain tensionner isn't "needed", but it can help. The less expensive way to keep your chain from dropping would be a chain retaining device such as this one: http://www.dmrbikes.com/?Section=pro...es&itemid=CDCC

If you have any more questions, ask away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    yeah i've thought about going single speed too, but i use 3 or 4 gears regularly

i'll prolly build a separate single speed

thanks a ton man!

mtbr member
    try a flip flop hub

Meh.
    I don't think iCrashed understands much (if any) of what he's suggesting.

Something simple like an n-gear will keep the chain from dropping if you run a 1x9. Braking, acceleration, handling, and suspension performance will be greatly improved by reducing the rotational mass (wheels, tires, tubes). Cut off excess h-bar, cut off excess seatpost. If your legs can do it, you can go to a road cassette. It will give you tighter gearing and smoother shifts. It will also let you drop some weight. You can also use a short cage rear derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    how much seatpost should i leave?

Meh.
    If you like to ride longer rides with your seat up, leave enough so that you can put it up. If you ride with it at the same height all the time, just leave enough so that it meets minimum insertion, or have enough to go past the top tube/seat tube junction.

mtbr member

huh

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I don't think iCrashed understands much (if any) of what he's suggesting.

Something simple like an n-gear will keep the chain from dropping if you run a 1x9. Braking, acceleration, handling, and suspension performance will be greatly improved by reducing the rotational mass (wheels, tires, tubes). Cut off excess h-bar, cut off excess seatpost. If your legs can do it, you can go to a road cassette. It will give you tighter gearing and smoother shifts. It will also let you drop some weight. You can also use a short cage rear derailleur.
    sheldon brown reccomends it too, guess he doesnt know either

resident dumbass
    You may miss your front brake if you remove it . . .

The idea that you should only leave on your front brake is kinda stupid. Yeah, it gives you more initial braking power, but you don't want to brake hard one day and go flying over the bars, now do you?
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    i havent had a rear brake in years, and i stil win alot on my giant xtc composite, not one crash attributed to it yet yetyetyet

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by iCrashed
    i havent had a rear brake in years, and i stil win alot on my giant xtc composite, not one crash attributed to it yet yetyetyet
    You're riding XC*unless I'm wrong), where brakes aren't needed all that much.

Meh.
    sheldon brown reccomends it too, guess he doesnt know either
    There aren't many flip flop hubs for 135mm spacing. Most of them will have to use a thread on adapter for the disc brake. More trouble than it's worth if you ask me, especially since there's potential for that adapter to loosen up. There's no real reason to use a flip flop hub on a mountain bike. If you use a SS specific hub, there's less dish, it builds a nice strong wheel.

As for removing the back brake, not neccesarily a bad suggestion, but if you panic stop with the front you'll flip. If you panic stop with the rear, you'll only skid. In another post, you said you'd lose braking ability in the rear if your chain broke. I'm not sure about your thought process, but brakes and drivetrain are two completely independent systems.

If you meant running an SS brakeless, you'd be screwed either way. The only way the chain can help you stop is if you ran a fixed gear.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 10-20-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    If you like to ride longer rides with your seat up, leave enough so that you can put it up. If you ride with it at the same height all the time, just leave enough so that it meets minimum insertion, or have enough to go past the top tube/seat tube junction.

you need 4" inside the frame. so figure out wahtever your max seat height is gunna be, add 4" and cut it off.

mtbr member
    Dude, i think you should stop talking and giving dumb advice. First, u tell someone in another thread that a broken chain would prevent you from stopping or some bs like that. Now your tellin someone to take a back brake off and leave the front? Seriously dude, you know nothing about street and dj, let alone anything about bikes. how many street riders do you see riding with front brake only. Wait....wait....NONE. And theres reasons for that too. Im not gonna go into details because you'll just come back with your proof from supposedly winning xc races on your giant.

mtbr member
    Win a lot of what?

Your product interests me, salesman...post a picture of your bike.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    There is the VERY SMALL possibility that iCrashed is confusing street bikes with fixed-gear bikes. It's very common to only use a front brake on fixed gears, flip-flop hubs are widely used, and if you broke your chain it would indeed be impossible to stop without a rim-brake. Also, the mention of Sheldon Brown figures in this, as Sheldon is a noted fixed-gear guru.

But I think there is a VERY LARGE possibility that iCrashed is just being a troll...

Beat it, troll.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    Dude, i think you should stop talking and giving dumb advice. First, u tell someone in another thread that a broken chain would prevent you from stopping or some bs like that. Now your tellin someone to take a back brake off and leave the front?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Not a lot of actual races, seeing as how it's a requirement in XC to have two working brakes.

Don't feed the troll!

Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Win a lot of what?

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    There is the VERY SMALL possibility that iCrashed is confusing street bikes with fixed-gear bikes. It's very common to only use a front brake on fixed gears, flip-flop hubs are widely used, and if you broke your chain it would indeed be impossible to stop without a rim-brake. Also, the mention of Sheldon Brown figures in this, as Sheldon is a noted fixed-gear guru.

But I think there is a VERY LARGE possibility that iCrashed is just being a troll...

Beat it, troll.

JMH
    Yup, that occured to me as well when I wrote my response.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i have the same bike, iam at 29 pounds with both breaks and bash garurd, whats your set up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    after pulling my front brake, front der and biggest chainring off i can already feel a huge different in weight.

ordered an MRP bashguard and have been waiting for my new rear wheel for about 2 weeks already, so as soon as those show up i'll really know how well these mods went. then when i can finally get my hands on those DMR Transition tires i'll really be in street heaven.

Meh.
    Sitting at 29.5 pounds running 9 speeds, chainguide, bash, and dual 203mm rotors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Not a lot of actual races, seeing as how it's a requirement in XC to have two working brakes.
    Hey, I raced XC on an Azonic with only a rear brake once...