Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Female Advanced mt biker looking to get a DJ for cross training... Where to start????

Budget? About $600 (prefer used)
    What size frame do I need (looking for 26" wheels)? I'm 5' 4"

[B]]I want to focus on pump track, learn to bunny hop and tabletop jumps... This should help improve my mountain biking skills (-:[/B

I tried a friends Specialized P, it felt big, not comfortable to ride (they only come in one size)...

Another friend has a blkmrkt, might be outa my price range though, and again I don't have a clue on size?

I was also thinking of possibly building one up, that would take tons of research... I would start with a frame if so...

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Kelli

mtbr member
    You should be open to considering a 24". Something like the NS Capital 24" would fit your bill but might be out of your price range unless you find a good deal on a used complete. Poking around this forums you'll find threads talking about affordable models.

No matter the wheel size, I would look for a 21.5 TT.
    I might look for ones that are more street oriented as they will be more compact and look for Short size option (often the only options if there is one is Short/Long)

To keep price down and quality up you might also want to go rigid which will also help boost skills and form.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Look at the pinkbike classifieds there are nearly 100 Dj bikes posted for sale a week.
    You should be able to find a pretty nice bike to get started on for less than $500.
    i picked up a used trail or park for a frind last week for $200. tons of people get DJ bikes, use them a couple of weeks and never touch them again.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    +1 on the 24" they are fun. Or you could go 20"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If your goal is pump tracks you could totally rock a 20 or 24 and I would second the rigid option. Smaller wheels for some reason typically come with a smaller price tag and rigid is always cheaper than suspension.
    Only being 5'4" you might find it difficult to find a 26 inch wheel bike that you feel comfy on. The specialized p bike has a 22 inch TT and that is pretty standard now and most companies are only offering one size. Transition offers two but I believe sm=22 and large =24... my eastern is 21.5 but still that is a decent length for a smaller frame. In bmx that is a pro xl. That wouldn't be a bike I would recommend for you. I would go with a pro or depending on your build even a expert for a race bike(not needed)
    Long story short if you go smaller and get good rallying a 20 at high speed your MTB will feel super slow motion to you. Check out leelikesbikes.com he talks about it and I feel it is true. It will take some getting use to. If you don't want that go out with a 24 there are plenty of solid 20 and 24 inch our there at really good prices. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks for all the advise!!! It sounds like 24" over 26" would be the better choice? I was assuming 26" would have been the better choice as I want to apply what I learn at the pump track as well as jumping, bunny hopping, etc. to my mountain biking skills... I would think that would transfer better/easier.

I did notice a price decrease on the 24 from 26. When I search for "dirt jumper" I don't get a lot of 24", mostly 26"

As for the Pinkbike suggestion, I'm on it! As well as good ol Craigslist.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The skills will transfer just fine. I actually think that if you can shred on a 20 you will shred even harder on a MTB. There are a few 24 inch Dj bikes out there but a 24 inch cruiser will do you just fine for pump tracks and jumps. Its all about the geo that is what makes those tasks easier. It will always be more difficult to manual, jump, Bunny hop .... a xc bike over a bmx or Dj bike

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the advise!!! It sounds like 24" over 26" would be the better choice? I was assuming 26" would have been the better choice as I want to apply what I learn at the pump track as well as jumping, bunny hopping, etc. to my mountain biking skills... I would think that would transfer better/easier.

I did notice a price decrease on the 24 from 26. When I search for "dirt jumper" I don't get a lot of 24", mostly 26"

As for the Pinkbike suggestion, I'm on it! As well as good ol Craigslist.
    24's are harder to find than 26. It would be worth the search though.
    20's are cheap and plentiful and might be worth a serious look. Bmx definitely transfers to mtb. Usually the best bikers are from moto or bmx. You can't beat bmx riders for skills
    Last edited by YRG; 01-12-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So here is a thread from pinkbike about this topic
    24inch or 26inch dirt jump bike - Pinkbike Forum

A couple brands to look at for 24 inch Dj would be DMR and Scott. I'm not sure if Scott is still making it but a guy I met at our bike park had one. It was rigid and was super fun to ride. It had crazy short chain stays.... good luck in your search

mtbr member
    I think you could ride 24"s or 26"s. 26"s will be more consistent with what you already ride, whereas 24"s will help 'break out' of ruts to learn new skills like bunnyhops, manualing, pump track etc. Since you're trying to learn new terrain/new skills, I agree with the other guys, 24"s would be a good cross training experience. But, note, we're not talking about 24" "youth" sized mtb's. These are normal dirt jumper sizes, just with 24" wheels.

This bike would have been ideal for you, but I sold it already. It's a size Small (21.5" top tube) Black Market MOB 26".

Something like this would also be ideal for what you've described. A Union Street Molly Maguire 24" DJ/park bike (made in USA):

Here's a side-by-side visual comparison of 2005 Specialized P.Street 24" and a 2005 DK Xenia 26":

They both have a 22" top tube. But, as you can see standover (seat tube length) is lower on the 24". The back end is about an inch shorter (15.25" cs instead of 16.25").

The back end being shorter plus the smaller rear wheel will make the front end easier to pull up in bunnyhops and manuals. Although the Specialized D.Street fork in the picture is extremely heavy, so maybe not the best example.

There's a guy on pinkbike selling a Union Street Molly Maguire 24". It might be an ideal size for you. Union Street Bikes "USB" Molly Macguire Custom - Pinkbike I actually have a Molly myself. Thought about selling, but I have a local guy who's interested right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    +1 on the 24" they are fun. Or you could go 20"
    I was in the same sorta situation as the OP a few years back. Did the 24 and 26" park/DJ bike for awhile until I finally bought a nice 20" that fit me; I haven't taken the bigger bikes off their hooks for pump/jump/park riding since, and I've leaned more about bike handling in the past couple seasons than in the previous 15 or so.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Is there any possibility you can ride some 26" bikes and 24" bikes? That said, a 24" or 20" would work better. They're lighter, have less rotational weight, and they're not as long. Go with a dirt or trails oriented 24" or 20" frame. The slacker angles provide stability at speeds needed for trails vs. street frames; where most moves are done slower.

Pinkbike is loaded with great deals on dj bikes. Good luck and shred deadly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Is there any possibility you can ride some 26" bikes and 24" bikes? That said, a 24" or 20" would work better. They're lighter, have less rotational weight, and they're not as long. Go with a dirt or trails oriented 24" or 20" frame. The slacker angles provide stability at speeds needed for trails vs. street frames; where most moves are done slower.

Pinkbike is loaded with great deals on dj bikes. Good luck and shred deadly.
    Ya, I tried a Specialized P26 and a 24 Black Market Contraband over the weekend, I LOVED the Blk Mrkt! The 26r felt sluggish and big for me. I've been looking for a used blk mrkt contraband, and apparently they're aren't many used for sale... I'll keep looking. Also I was looking for a Union Street Molly... hard to find as well. I would like to start with a somewhat current bike with at least disk brakes (not V-brakes), I dont want to buy something and have to put money in it right away.

I thank everyone for all the awesome comments and advise! This forum ROCKS

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    cool sounds like 24 inch is the ticket for you... but nothing wrong with rim brakes for a pump track and dirt jump bike... you only need to slow down no need for serious stopping power unless you were planning on getting into trials riding as well, at least IMO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cglasford View Post
    cool sounds like 24 inch is the ticket for you... but nothing wrong with rim brakes for a pump track and dirt jump bike... you only need to slow down no need for serious stopping power unless you were planning on getting into trials riding as well, at least IMO
    Some trials stuff would be fun, that's why I'm trying to shoot for the disks

mtbr member

Good job! I found the perfect bike - Black Market Contraband! see photo :)

WooooHooo! I got me a new bike!
    Black Market Contraband!

Need advise already! I'm looking for a front disk compatible fork/shock. The previous owner suggested X-Fusion Velvet RL or RL2 1 1/8 100mm
    They are a little pricey, would love to find something used and in good shape if possible

Female Advanced mt biker looking to get a DJ for cross training... Where to start????-p4pb10439389.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    24 inch? Might have to build the front wheel to get one with a disc compatible hub. Most 24s are designed for bmx so rim brake or no brake... as for suspension I'm not sure I would even bother for pump tracks and small jumps. Especially if you are interested in trials. However you can pick up a cheap used fox float 100 and shim it to 80mm real easy

mtbr member
    Might have to build the front wheel to get one with a disc compatible hub.
    It has a disk compatible hub

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    It has a disk compatible hub
    Is the fork disc compatible? If so I'd recommend to give the rigid fork a go prior to investing more money...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What type of axle does it have? Fixed, quick release, 15 or 20 thru?

mtbr member
    Is the fork disc compatible? If so I'd recommend to give the rigid fork a go prior to investing more money...
    Yes, that particular fork is disk compatible! So when doing Trials type riding (we're talking newbie here), no suspension would be better?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I personally do not think so. Suspension will make pumping jumping trials and ramps more difficult as the fork will absorb energy. Only reason I would recommend is if you have bad wrists. I just went to a suspension fork this year and have it set extremely stiff.. so probably not a lot of need for one...

mtbr member

Disk compatible Ridged fork...

Suspension will make pumping jumping trials and ramps more difficult as the fork will absorb energy...
    We then, finding a disk compatible ridged form should be cheaper? Any recommendations there? I wonder if Black Market makes a disk compatible one?

mtbr member
    There are a lot of suspension corrected disc mount rigid forks out there. Like this Identiti Bikes -Forks - REBATE JUMP 1420 XL Forks. - Product Information in all axle configurations. In fact you can find cheap take off ones easy since many bikes come stock with them and people then add suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Another rigid choice could be a DMR Trailblade.

You'll obviously want to keep an eye on the axle-to-crown measurement when buying.

Congrats on the sweet ride!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast