Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    this is the hub I have:

PROFILE ELITE FRONT HUB / DISK COMPATIBLE with 9t driver.
    The current fork is a Blk Mrkt tech 9

it is not a thru axle, its a standard 9mm, with bolt. I can take a photo of it if that helps?

link to Profile hubs:
    Profile Racing E-Store
    That link says that the front hub is convertible to 15mm or 20mm thru axle.

DANG... I see a lot of photos of contraband's with an x-fusion Velvet Fork, I cant find that specific fork that will work, especially with the drop out?... FRUSTRATED!
    That's because X-Fusion stopped making that fork !

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    you will need to find a fork, probably an older model, with a 9mm QR, not a thru axle...

something like this Fox F-series FIT RLC 2010 - Pinkbike

i'm not sure on specs or if you can drop a 120 to 80mm but if not look for something like a fox float R 100 probably a couple years old that should work fine, unless you want to invest in a new front wheel or at least a new hub

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    if it's convertible just contact the manufacture and order the conversion kit... shouldn't cost much

mtbr member

Product Details
    All New Design - Five Colors: Red, Blue, Black, Purple, Green, Gold - ISO Disk Brake Mount - Convertible from 20mm to 15mm to 10mm bolt on to QR

Disk QR weight: 222g

Disk 3/8 CrMo Bolt On weight: 285g

Disk 3/8 Ti Bolt On weight: 260g

Disk 15mm weight: 192g

Disk 20mm weight: 189g

mtbr member

New question here.

OK... so what your sayin' is... that Velvet fork will work with my hub?

Below is a link to the hub conversion kits, I still don't know which one is the correct one to get for that fork... I KNOW I KNOW... i'm a newbie... sorry!

Hub parts:
    Profile Racing E-Store

The fork in question:
    X Fusion Velvet RL2 Remote 100 Suspension Fork 1 1 8 Black 9mm | eBay

YOU ALL ARE SO FRIKEN AWESOME!

mtbr member
    OK... so what your sayin' is... that Velvet fork will work with my hub?

Below is a link to the hub conversion kits, I still don't know which one is the correct one to get for that fork... I KNOW I KNOW... i'm a newbie... sorry!

Hub parts:
    Profile Racing E-Store

The fork in question:
    X Fusion Velvet RL2 Remote 100 Suspension Fork 1 1 8 Black 9mm | eBay

YOU ALL ARE SO FRIKEN AWESOME!
    First off, I'm not sure I would trust that ebay listing. It says 9mm (the typical skinny axle or quick release skewer size), but the picture is of a thru-axle (probably the 15mm thru-axle). The 15mm thru-axle size was introduced by FOX a few years ago, and then X-Fusion did it also. The typical thru axle is 20mm. So, most Dirt Jump and Downhill forks will have a 20mm thru-axle (looks like a hollow tube).

I'm not real clear if you're saying you already have the Profile hub? Or you're going to buy one? If you already have one, then post a pic ! If it's a skinny axle with axle nuts on the ends, then it's a 9mm (or maybe 3/8" which is 9.5"mm). 3/8" is a bmx size--and Profile's bmx hubs have 3/8" axles. but typically, 9mm and 9.5mm are so close that a suspension fork will fit a 3/8" axle as well.

I would recommend NOT getting a 100mm travel fork. It is going to be around 477-480mm axle to crown, while an 80mm travel fork is around 457mm axle to crown. In other words the 100 mm fork makes your front end 20mm taller.

The Contraband is designed to be a very low/compact bike. If you put a 100mm fork on it, it will work, but it will tilt the front end up a little more than intended and just kinda be a little goofy. Now, you could go to a trusted shop and have the fork lowered. But, some shops are not exactly experts in this. I have a Marzocchi DJ1 fork that was lowered by a previous owner and it has never worked well. I have never tried to lower a fork myself; I guess after spending a lot of money on a new fork, I just don't want to mess with it. If I had an old fork to mess around with, maybe I would.

This is my friend Buddy checking out Carter Holland's (owner of Black Market) Contraband a few years ago when the Black Market guys came to our trails. As you can see, it has a rigid fork. Since it was designed partly as a skatepark bike, the rigid fork is a pretty common choice. The gap you see above the front tire is correct; because it's a 24" wheel in a 26" fork, there is extra gap.... but it's still supposed to have some gap because the Contraband is a suspension-corrected frame. If you look at a 24" BMX cruiser, there is only like an inch or less of gap, but that's because BMX cruiser frames aren't designed to have any option for suspension. Some of the Contrabands I have seen have the fork lowered down to 60mm travel.

I think you could look around and find a cross country fork at 80mm travel. X-Fusion Velvet was actually an xc fork, not originally designed for dirt jumping. The Black Market riders got a hookup from them, and then everyone was like, hey, this is a lighter fork that seems to hold up abuse, so it became popular. But, there are other xc forks you could run on a pump track bike. You just run a little extra air psi to stiffen it up. An xc fork can be like 3 or 4 pounds instead of a DJ fork being like 5 or 6.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Hi cmc4130... ya, I have the profile hubs already and I plan on lowering the fork to 80mm. Black Market recommends the Velvet fork as it's light and easy to lower and somewhat inexpensive ($300 to $400).

as mentioned in an earlier thread... this is the hub I have:

it is not a thru axle, its a standard 9mm, with bolt. I can take a photo of it if that helps?

mtbr member
    Here's my bike and a "somewhat close-up" of the hub

Female Advanced mt biker looking to get a DJ for cross training... Where to start????-car-blkmarket1.jpg

Name:  hub.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  77.0 KB

mtbr member
    Huh??????? Oh ! Hah hah. I missed the post a week ago where you already bought a Contraband !

In that case, yeah, a suspension fork with 9mm dropouts will work with your hub.

mtbr member
    If you want to start cheap look for 24 BMX bikes. The problem with some of them is crazy steep head angle. BMX race bikes are very light, very cheap used, come in 20 and 24 wheels, smaller frames than 26 bikes. Good option.

Word of caution on rigid fork: Many guys that ride those bikes are experienced guys that usually clear landings properly, have BMX experience, and many are young guys that can take a beating much better than adults. So they get away with rigid fork which is more efficient, lighter and gives you better control.

If you didn't grow up on BMX you are looking at a loooong learning curve where you need a bike that will make it easier on your body, or you will start disliking pump tracks and dirt jumps very quickly. That's why I say go with a suspension fork. You can always take it off and go rigid, rigid forks are cheap.

Also weight is important, and at your size even more so. Many DJ parks are short and you need a bike that can accelerate very fast. Usually no pedaling between jumps, just pumping. Lots of the cheap DJ bikes are 32-34 pounds tanks (especially bikes with gears and mechanical disc brakes) and will be too big for you anyways. You will feel that weight.

mtbr member
    Hi cmc4130... ya, I have the profile hubs already and I plan on lowering the fork to 80mm. Black Market recommends the Velvet fork as it's light and easy to lower and somewhat inexpensive ($300 to $400).

as mentioned in an earlier thread... this is the hub I have:

Velvet will work fine, any fork with QR drop outs will. Just don't get a fork with an axle. Velvet/Enix forks are easy to lower, I lowered mine to 80mm. Its also good they have air spring, you can set it pretty hard which is what you want for a pump track / DJ (forget about 25% sag, more like zero)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3