Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Realistically, you don't need a front brake for pump tracks and DJs. A front brake at the jumps spells trouble: more things to break; added weight (not much, but in the wrong place); the stopping power of a front brake isn't, really, needed.

Another thing about trials moves: the gear ratio needs to be a lot closer to 1:1. On the bike you have, it looks like a 25T ring and 10T or 11T cog, or ~2.5:1.

Not to dissuade you from trying trials moves, they're just harder on a DJ than one would think. Trials frames and a DJ frames, may look similar, but they're quite different in all aspects: geometry, components.

edit: Any frame builder should be able to weld a brake boss to a rigid fork, for a reasonable amount (<$100).

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by kellijayne View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the advise!!! It sounds like 24" over 26" would be the better choice? I was assuming 26" would have been the better choice as I want to apply what I learn at the pump track as well as jumping, bunny hopping, etc. to my mountain biking skills... I would think that would transfer better/easier.

I did notice a price decrease on the 24 from 26. When I search for "dirt jumper" I don't get a lot of 24", mostly 26"

As for the Pinkbike suggestion, I'm on it! As well as good ol Craigslist.
    Kelli, I learned most of jumping/hopping/control stuff on 20" and it transferred to 24/26/29 wheel sizes as well as being useful for Cross and Road racing. My first Citizen's Road Race I hopped a pair of racers who crashed right in front of me, no damage to the bike, no flats. I think the thing that will help you learn quickest is keeping on a lighter/simpler bike. I would even consider a BMX cruiser (24") wheel. Good luck with your pursuit.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    There are a lot of suspension corrected disc mount rigid forks out there. Like this Identiti Bikes -Forks - REBATE JUMP 1420 XL Forks. - Product Information in all axle configurations. In fact you can find cheap take off ones easy since many bikes come stock with them and people then add suspension.
    YES! I've been looking at this fork, however I cant find it anywhere... ALL out of stock! So you are saying that Mikes Bikes uses them on some of there generic builds and had take-offs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Another rigid choice could be a DMR Trailblade.
    Ive read some pretty BAD reviews about that fork!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Isn't that bike 24 inch wheels? I'd make sure you check out the crown to axle length most of those forks are for 26 inch wheels. I might suggest you look at having the brake bosses added to the current fork

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cglasford View Post
    Isn't that bike 24 inch wheels? I'd make sure you check out the crown to axle length most of those forks are for 26 inch wheels. I might suggest you look at having the brake bosses added to the current fork
    Ya... there are 2 versions, one is an XL (465mm) and the other is not (425mm). I would not be getting the XL

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Here is a few more choices for you. These are designed for trials, so the crown-to-axle length is shorter. Not sure how well they'll hold up to multiple botched landings of dirt jumping, though (good trials riders land on the rear wheels).

26" Forks - at WebCyclery|WebSkis|Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if this fork will work with my blk mrkt contraband... I would like to lower it to 80mm ( or is it not possible)...
    X Fusion Velvet RL2 26" 120mm travel AIR suspension fork 1.5" steerer

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if this fork will work with my blk mrkt contraband... I would like to lower it to 80mm ( or is it not possible)...
    X Fusion Velvet RL2 26" 120mm travel AIR suspension fork 1.5" steerer
    My first impression is no, because like most DJ bikes, the Contraband uses a standard
    1 1/8" fork.
    Take a look at the Manitou Circus; it's a popular choice.

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    My first impression is no, because like most DJ bikes, the Contraband uses a standard
    1 1/8" fork.
    Take a look at the Manitou Circus; it's a popular choice.
    I have a velvet with a 1 1/8 ht, you can lower them and it is a very nice fork. I would recommend it over the circus because it is a pound lighter than the lightest circus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    I have a velvet with a 1 1/8 ht, you can lower them and it is a very nice fork. I would recommend it over the circus because it is a pound lighter than the lightest circus.
    thanks YRG! So a 1.5 steer non-tapered would work? and I can lower a 120mm to 80?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Re sus forks, consider a Marzo DJ -- a DJ2 if you can find one. Non-tapered, 80 or 100. Perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    you would need to varify your head tube diameter... most bikes are not 1.5 most are 1 and 1/8 or tapered

mtbr member
    you would need to varify your head tube diameter... most bikes are not 1.5 most are 1 and 1/8 or tapered
    A Contraband definitely does not have 1.5 !

mtbr member
    Back when the Black Market team rode the X-Fusion Velvet, that was a different version of the Velvet. Now, it does not come in an 80mm travel version, but it used to.

BTI | 26" Suspension Forks from X-Fusion Shox

1.5 vs 1 1/8 steerer

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks YRG! So a 1.5 steer non-tapered would work? and I can lower a 120mm to 80?
    A 1.5 won't work, but a straight 1 1/8 will work. Like Cmc says the new one only go down to 100mm while the older model went to 80.

mtbr member
    4.7 pounds is not bad . . . . although a rigid will be a lot lighter, like the NS at 2.9 pounds: BTI | NS Bikes RNS fork with topcap, 1-1/8" - black

http://www.bti-usa.com/images/pictures/ap/ap9065.jpg

Manitou Circus Expert 26" Fork

130mm travel models can be reduced to 120mm and 100mm models can be reduced to 80mm travel using included spacers 20mm Hex axle provides superior torsional stiffness
    Absolute + cartridge platform oil damping system: specifically tuned for Dirt Jumping
    Forged I-Beam style crown: bigger, stronger, and more durable
    Alloy steerer, and 32mm aluminum stanchions

weight:

4.7 lb (2134g)

mtbr member
    I really like the RS Argyle. I have the older 409 and 318. Super simple forks to set-up and repair. They're pretty bomb proof as well.

The 318 and 409 go for <$250. The seals and oil are easy to change at home. RS has detailed repair guides to help the repair process.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have an argyle as well and love it but they aren't the lightest thing on the planet but burly, stiff and easy to work on... I picked mine up used for $75... if you are worried about weight you will want to go with air or rigid....

mtbr member

New question here. Will this fork work with my Blk Mrkt contraband??

Hey Guys will this fork work???

X Fusion Velvet RL2 Remote 100 Suspension Fork 1 1 8 Black 9mm | eBay

X-Fusion Velvet RL2 Remote 100 Suspension Fork 1 1/8 Black 9mm

(do I have to use the remote? or do they come without?)

Item Specifications
    Color Black
    Weight 1542.2g
    Brake Usage F/R Front
    Fork Rake 41mm
    Axle to Crown Length 479mm
    Crown Race 30.0
    Brake Type Disc
    Wheel Size 650b,26",27.5"
    Travel 100mm
    Front Hub Spacing 100mm
    Front Axle Type 9x1
    Spring Air
    Wheel Mount Center Offset 0mm
    Lockout Handlebar Remote
    Defined Color Black
    S.H.I.S. Clamp Diameter 28.6
    Item Name Velvet
    Steerer Type Straight

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes, but you will need a qr front wheel

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    my only question would be is that the type of axle you have on your hub currently or where you planning on replacing the front wheel? That looks like a thru axle and note a standard QR so if you have a fixed bmx axle on your current hub it wont work...

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    Yes, but you will need a qr front wheel
    this is the hub I have:

PROFILE ELITE FRONT HUB / DISK COMPATIBLE with 9t driver.
    The current fork is a Blk Mrkt tech 9

it is not a thru axle, its a standard 9mm, with bolt. I can take a photo of it if that helps?

link to Profile hubs:
    Profile Racing E-Store

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah you will need a fork with standard drop out so you can just slide that hub in and tighten down the bolts,

mtbr member
    Yeah you will need a fork with standard drop out so you can just slide that hub in and tighten down the bolts,
    DANG... I see a lot of photos of contraband's with an x-fusion Velvet Fork, I cant find that specific fork that will work, especially with the drop out?... FRUSTRATED!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast