mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Euro Bottom Bracket?

Will a bmx with a euro bb fit with gary fisher opie frame? Does any one have any experiences with bmx cranks on a MTB?

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by warick
    Will a bmx with a euro bb fit with gary fisher opie frame? Does any one have any experiences with bmx cranks on a MTB?
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

mtbr remember
    I'm not too familiar with GF products, but, I am somewhat assuming it uses a 73mm bb shell... ? Possibly a 68mm, but I think the GF runs fattys, so they would need the wider bb shell for clearance...
    Compatibility also depends on how long the length of the bb spindle is, which I'm assuming is 5.5" if it's an off-the-shelf bmx crank.
    It helps a lot when you can specify these things when you ask a question, or look them up your self, then either we can answer the question much easier, or you could even answer it yourself.

now, if your Opie has a 68mm bb shell width, you should be good. If it has a 73 or wider, you will need to purchase a longer bmx/euro bb spindle. other than that, yes, a euro bmx bb would thread into a euro bb shell, since they are the same standard.
    after all of that, you have to consider chainline.

and by the way, yes I do have a wethepeople Royal crank on my Eastern, and some old FSA 3piece cranks on my Rail, which required the longer 6" bb spindle...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Bro, I ride an Opie too! Totally schweet.

It does have a Euro BB, and Ill tell you that I run the RACEFACE Evolve DH cranks with and external BB, you may be able to refernce form that. I'm not with my bike so I can't say much more. Sweet thought you ride a GF.

mtbr remember
    I run the RACEFACE Evolve DH cranks with and external BB, you may be able to refernce form that
    what does that have to do with his question?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Well he wants to run BMX cranks right? I run my racefaces. so if he specs both he can just compare and maybe figure something out, mr. negative.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Epschoenly
    Well he wants to run BMX cranks right? I run my racefaces. so if he specs both he can just compare and maybe figure something out, mr. negative.

sorry, wasn't trying to come off neg. but just wondering what your comment had to do with answering his question. sounded like you were just naming off your component spec.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Nah, already got a girlfriend to show off for, but I was just trying to tell him what I run so he ould ue the info, but I guess he doesn't care, since, no reply.