mtbr member
    Oct 2008

eastern thunderbird/ broke crank arm

Y'all wanna see what happens when cheap poorly done welds fail?! Thank gosh it didn't spear my leg since I don't have health insurance right now. I don't even do cool stuff on my bike, I feel scared for all the kids way better then me riding eastern crank sets. I heard a weird pop sound on the approach to a jump..hit jump which boosted my back wheel a whole whopping 1ft, landed and this is all she wrote. Gauged my beloved rear rim too.

mtbr member
    Did you send this info. to Eastern? They're have a great service dept. I'm sure they'd be interested in this and possibly offer you some sort of deal on new cranks.

Also, over-torquing the pinch bolts can cause the welds to crack. The rust on the inside of the crank arm is interesting, though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes Eastern is supposedly lifetime warranty and they may exchange those for you idk.

I also had a Thunderbird and let me tell you all the components are junk. The Nighttrain (same frame as T-bird in '09) has their best components and how good those are is questionable.

I still use the frame (and love it) but everything else I replaced and upgraded.