Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ultra member

New question here. Eastern nighttrain vs specialized p.1

Can someone tell me how much bigger a specialized P.1 is than a eastern nighttrain? I have ridden a specialized and it fit me well but I like the eastern more but havent had a chance to ride one. I am 6 foot 2 inches in shoes and dont know if an eastern will be too small. Someones opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If the Eastern is Hi-Tensile Steel then I would say NO! Chro-Mo all the way.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" and I definitely like my 22.5"top tube Blackmarket MOB better than shorter bikes. The Eastern Nighttrain feels pretty short/compact. Then again, it's easy to get used to and you may like it a lot....

Previous Thread: train/thunderbird sizes?
    nighttrain/thunderbird sizes?

>

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...9.aspx?sc=FRGL
    ON SALE FOR $999
    Eastern NightTrain Bike '09

Rock Shox Argyle 318 fork w/ 80mm of travel

Integrated seatpost clamp
    Easternbike logo laser cut headtube
    14.7" Chainstay
    Sealed MTB hub w/ chromoly driver
    26" wheels

Disc mount
    Integrated 45/45 headset
    Sealed spanish bottom bracket
    Stealth cranks
    Published weight 29.5 lbs
    21.8" top tube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xDetroitMetalx
    If the Eastern is Hi-Tensile Steel then I would say NO! Chro-Mo all the way.
    The Night Train is full 4130 chromoly.

ultra member
    I'm just worried about the nighttrain because I have heard that it rides a lot like a bmx bike but i don't even come close to fitting on a bmx. Does the nighttrain just ride like a bmx or does it also fit like one.

mtbr member
    I love the seat angle they have on this bike.... lol

ultra member
    I know. the seat angle in the picture is kind of ridiculous. Looks like it might hurt if you missed the pedals on a no footer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My brother is about 6'2" and he rides an Eastern Nighttrain... He did ride a BMX before that, but he also rides a Large Sunday for DH, so he is used to a large bike too.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i'm 6'4 and my eastern thunderbird fits pretty well, could be a hair longer, but nothing too serious.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    im about 6'1" and I just got a eastern thunderbird. compared to my old p2, its for sure a lot smaller and more compact, but for dirt jumping it flows much better. depends on what your doing. I'd say the p-series bikes are much more comfortable pedaling around between ride spots, I cant pedal my Eastern sitting down. Again just depends on what your doing with the bike. I like my Eastern.

ultra member
    Thanks for all the great posts. I'll mainly be riding street with the eastern and possibly a little dirt so sitting down is not that important to me. Its good to see that someone thats 6'4" can ride it. It looks like I'll be ordering one within the next two weeks.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    with a new slightly longer seatpost i can pedal the eastern sitting down, it just sucks. i can at least coast sitting comfortably now. little trips to the skate park or around town are much more comfortable.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Gergin
    Oct 2009
    I ride a nighttrain. Best damn bike I have owned yet. I come from BMX, still ride a 24in, and recently got into downhill. But I keep going back to the nighttrain. Just get it. so easy to catch air.

ultra member
    Just ordered the eastern from Jenson for $850. Ill be sure to post pics when i get it. And luckily I live close enough to their store that i can go pick it up from there and if it absolutely doesn't fit they said that I don't have to buy it. I still can't believe how good a deal this is!

ultra member
    Just picked up my bike today from Jenson and man do I love it. So far it feels solid and the only thing that came loose after about 2 hours of riding were the cranks. Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eastern nighttrain vs specialized p.1-p1030025.jpg  

Eastern nighttrain vs specialized p.1-p1030027.jpg  

Allday Haro
    That is sexy sir

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    im 6'1" and just came off a p2 in exchange for a Eastern Thunderbird. The bikes are simply different, my p2 had more of a all mountain, pedal comfortably sitting down feel. My eastern I can only pedal standing, however its much smoother while dirt jumping. Just depends what you want to do. if you want to cruise sitting on your butt while pedaling, get a p1. honestly I like both. strictly street/ dj I choose eastern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Specialized sucks.

meh
    im 6'0" and i raise the seat a bit on my nighttrain when i know i will be covering some distance, plenty comfortable to cruise on, but its def a personal preference

agreed detroit, ill never buy an underspecd/overpriced specialized again, learned my lesson

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    a lil off topic here but just lookin for sum quick advice.
    which bike would be a better buy?
    09 eastern night train for $850
    or
    09 black market 357 for $600
    ??

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Nighttrain

Reason:
    ARGYLE 318!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    besides just the fork, is there other reasons why to go for the NT other then the 357?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Geometry and feel... But in all honesty, that DJ3 is complete trash. If you were to ride both bikes and switch back and forth you would still probably go with the Night Train just because the fork isn't garbage. Hell, I rode a DJ2 and liked it at first. Two broken seals later I purchased the Argyle 318 and realized how bad the DJ series is (Never rode a 4X so it's not included in my summary).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks for the help detroit.
    i decided to pull the trigger and order one of these babies last night and it scheduled to come in next week! Cant wait!

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just purchased my Night train from Jenson and really like it. The only issue i have is that when i jump and land it makes a clicking noise. Everything seems to be tight. The guys at the shop mentioned that it might be the spring in the fork. I have not heard of that before. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Best Regards,
    Eric C.
    Morewood Bikes USA, 661, SDG, Sunline, SPY Optics, TLD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast