mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Eastern Mad Dog?

Anybody heard of these bikes? Single speed with a rear disc? My LBS has one on sale for 499 right now and im thinking of picking one up. Heard they may have weak frames though?
    Last edited by TheRed06; 10-09-2010 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That frame is made of Hi-Tensile Steel stay away from it, it is quite weak and won't last.
    If you wan't something strong get a chromoly frame, so if you're still buying from Eastern the next step up is the thunderbird which has a full chromoly frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just got the thunder bird today, 2010 for 600 new!!!!!!!!!!!! Picture in process...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Brand new with the reflector removal mod

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    very nice! i like the color as well as the reflector removal! ahaha
    What type of riding will you be doing most often? street, dj or park?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mostly street for right now, trying all 3 out eventually. This is my "first" bike, Ive been hopping around trying to find the right kind for me, and decided something like this was perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    cool, keep us updated on your progress!

mtbr member
    i've never heard of a "Duro DJ-E" fork. . . . . .

http://easternbikes.com/products/completes/2011/83

FRAME // Mad Dog 26" Frame with 4130 Chromoly Downtube with Eastern Logo Dropouts, 135mm spacing, Disc brake tabs
    FORK // Duro DJ-E Fork, 80mm Travel, Coil Sprung with Chromoly Steerer
    BARS // Eastern FULL 4130 Chromoly 2.5"x25" No Crossbar, 10˚ Sweep
    HEADSET // Sealed Bearing 45/45 Internal
    BB // Sealed Bearing Euro BB
    PEDALS // NEW! Eastern Crown pedals
    GRIPS // Eastern Fuquay Flyer Grip
    STEM // NEW! Eastern Forged Alloy Front Load
    SPROCKET // NEW! Eastern Phorcys 25T steel
    CRANKS // Eastern Shaft 175mm, tubular chromoly heat-treated 3pc.
    SEAT // NEW! One-Piece Padded Kevlar/Alloy Seatpost Combo w/ Embroidered Logo
    SEAT CLAMP // Forged Alloy Clamp
    TIRE FRONT // Kenda K Rad 26x2.3
    TIRE REAR // Kenda K Rad 26x2.4
    HUB FRONT // Eastern Logo Alloy Shell, Sealed Bearing, 3/8" Chromoly Axle
    HUB REAR // Eastern MTB LB-9 single speed cassette hub 135mm, 14mm axle, 36H, 12t driver, with disc mt.
    RIM FRONT // Single Wall Alloy 36H
    RIM REAR // Double-Wall 36H Rear Rim
    REAR BRAKES // Tektro Cable Actuated Disc Brake, 160mm Rotor / Straight Cable / Tektro Forged Alloy Lever - Designed for Cable Disc Brakes
    FREEWHEEL // 12T One Piece Driver w/ 6 Pawls
    CHAIN // KMC Z510

It's also kind of bizarre that they put a 15.9" cs on the Mad Dog whereas the previous Thunderbirds and Nighttrains supposedly were 14.7.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got its first battle wound after I leaned back too far on a manual, hahaha. Props to you guys for being able to do this sh*t, way harder then it looks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    yes manuals do suck to learn but they're really fun! oh and use the rear brake to stop yourself from looping out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yeah I panicked and ate it. Trying again tomorrow, finally getting some height on bunny hops too. 180s hopefully next!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    180's are really hard to do, but thats me, plus im a small guy so that probably makes a difference as well. As for bunnyhops, i love em, because people always stare when they see a skinny small guy like me bunnyhop my mtb up stairs :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Im average size, so people probably think the opposite when they see me only get the back tire 5 inches in the air... Hahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidave View Post
    DH is what you do when you have huge hairy balls and love to shred the gnar.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazdxb
    180's are really hard to do, but thats me, plus im a small guy so that probably makes a difference as well. As for bunnyhops, i love em, because people always stare when they see a skinny small guy like me bunnyhop my mtb up stairs :P
    Look where you want to go, spin with the shoulders, not the hips, everything will follow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Look where you want to go, spin with the shoulders, not the hips, everything will follow.
    Im finding it very difficult to commit to it. When I try, I dont even lift the front wheel, haha. Guess I need to just take the fall a few times to get used to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    thanks for the tip, its exactly what i've been told to do, its just the motion feels awkward right now, as soon as i start feeling more relaxed with the motion it'll be all gud its only a matter of time

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Congrats man! have fun! Good bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So yesterday after clothes lining myself on my neighbors dog leash, decided I want a front brake for those "I need to stop NOW scenarios", so I figured Id ask here instead of starting a new thread...

Im looking at the Avid BB7 front brake which I can get complete for about 70-80 bucks, or an Avid Hydraulic front brake setup (I forget which one) for about 110-130 complete. Is it worth the extra to get hydraulic? Or should I be fine with the mechanical front?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you would be fine with the BB7, but its still definately worth it to go Hydraulic lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14
    you would be fine with the BB7, but its still definately worth it to go Hydraulic lol
    Yeah thats what I was thinking... Hahaha.