mtbr member
    May 2008

Eastern Bikes Q's

Have any taller riders ridden the Nightrain or Warthog Pro? I looked for those two bikes in the reviews but couldnt find em. Im 6'2" and 200lbs and just wanted to know what anyone thinks about these bikes. I'm really feelin the Nighttrain but it only comes in one size which Im questioning may me too small. I like that the Warthog has a medium and Large frame size but it is a little steeper in price. Hit me back

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not much but...

Eastern Night train sizing
    I've already taken the trophy, banged Miss America, and gone to Disney Land. You guys ain't gettin ****!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah I saw that. I am still half a foot taller than that 5'8-5'9 area and was wondering if anyone over 6' has ridden either of those 2 bikes. Good lookin out though

mtbr member
    I am like 6'1'' or 6'2'' I ride a night train, I have, obviously, long legs, when I am standing and pedaling my lines up perfectly with and if I am not paying attention hits the stem, so I would say get a stem with a nice smooth back and you would be alright, it isnt like you are sitting a nd spinning you know.

gnar, brah
    I'm 5'-10" and got the size long 2007 Warthog (only diff is the top tube).

I didn't dig it. I've been riding the bike for about 6-8 months now, and its just too long. Chainstays are too long, top tube is too long. I feel like I'm over the front wheel too much unless I'm just pumping the bike and hitting jumps. If I have to sprint into something my position is usually a bit off.

I should have gotten the short, but I got a ToP instead.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah buddy. Thats the kinda critiqing Im looking for. I was planning on hitting up a shop that sells Easterns anyway to dick around and get a feel for their bikes, but I appreciate spreading the knowledge. Btw ToP? U know anybody thats ridden the Giant STP?
    Thanks bro

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've got an STP. I'm 6' and ride the regular size. I tried a friend's long just to see what it felt like. The long was more stable and gave a more comfortable feel to the cockpit but felt sluggish. The regular is a lot more whippable/agile. Given that the long I tried was bone stock and mine's custom built (obviously the build makes a huge difference in how it rides). But with the extra 2" you may be a little more cramped than me on the regular. Also, I like how the STP rides on a shorter a2c 5" fork over a 4. Either way, the geo feels pretty dialed to me.

As far as the Eastern's go, I have a few friends on them. None of them have the long but the regular rides fine to me.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman5584
    Yeah buddy. Thats the kinda critiqing Im looking for. I was planning on hitting up a shop that sells Easterns anyway to dick around and get a feel for their bikes, but I appreciate spreading the knowledge. Btw ToP? U know anybody thats ridden the Giant STP?
    Thanks bro
    After I got adjusted to the Warthog's geometry, I actually started to like it. It's very race inspired, and feels better at speed. Would be a great choice for 4x racing.

My buddy got a ToP built up, and once I rode one, the Warthog just didn't feel right anymore. Way easier to get the front end up in particular, and once it's up, the ToP manuals significantly easier. I think the longer = stable, shorter = agile trend is very true.

I've ridden around an 08 STP stock, it felt similar to the Warthog. It's an aluminum frame though, and I'm personally never going to buy another aluminum hardtail again. They just feel harsher.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" and ride a night train. Took me a little bit to get comfortable, but now it feels just as comfortable to me as my DH/FR bike. I've even ridden trail with it and it really wasn't all that bad.

I love the night train. Great bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    For anyone who gives 2 shits I got an 08 STP. I appreciate all the Eastern advice, but I couldnt find anybody who sold them around here and had them in stock to test ride. I got the STP instead and after 1 2 hour DJ session I really like it.
    P.s. Anybody know any DJ tracks in the Tacoma, Wa area? The one I roll right now is super hagard(like 4 jumps) and its in a national forest so Its super hard to get into.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I tried a Nighttrain and found it too short even though I am 5ft9 (ride a 22.5" Mob myself) so tt size is very personal and not based just on lenght.

Try it in real life.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ive never ridden either of those bikes but if you compair the specs it might give you some insight to what i ride vs what you want... im 6 foot even and over 200 pounds...

i ride a blackmarket 357 which has mob geo...

i have the 22 inch frame and it feels great... i did have to swap out the fork (dirt jump 2) because the fork had way too much bounce and didnt really support my weight.. i ended up getting a dirtjump2 which has the air assist so you can pump it up and make it stiffer(nohomo)... i have a huge bmx background (close to 15 years on then off then on) and the swap to this bike went really smooth.. i like the setup and it feels great... if you wanna know more feel free to hollah im a chatty cathy when online

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by timfromtexas
    im a chatty cathy when online
    Hahahahah tis true