Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

do you ride a bmx or a dirt jumper?

Just curious of everyones preference and why for dirt jumping?

mtbr member
    I own both. I do more urban riding, and lately I've been riding my new Kona Cowan more than my BMX. I think part of it is that the Kona is newer (always gotta play with the new toys!), but I do like the way it feels in the air more than the BMX.

I also like that when I'm in the city I can cruise to multiple spots with ease thanks to the gears.

ultra member
    I ride a dirt jumper mainly for the suspension fork. The rigid bmx forks always kill my hands on hard landings. I also don't fit on a bmx, so I like the extra room on a dirt jumper.
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

mtbr member
    Even though I have ridden 20" BMX forever . . . in the '90's I always preferred 24" BMX cruiser for dirt jumping and bmx track. Being tall, it just feels more natural and comfortable. Now, 24" BMX and 26" MTBMX are the only way to go for me.

dirt rules
    Mine's a hybrid.... Pretty much right in the middle of the two.
    24" wheels
    Rigid
    BMX cranks, bottom bracket, headtube.
    MTB brakes, hubs, bars.

I AM I AM
    Not that I'm much good at riding them but I've got both. Giant STP and a new addition to the family is my BMX (mainly due to selling the DH bike).

I like both, I think chances are I will be more likely to get the guts to get into dirt jumping with the bmx, even though I've heard it takes more skill (not as forgiving as mtb) it just feels easier to maneuver and like I could have the security of getting out of tricky situations a bit easier (like bail at the last minute).

Now that I'm not riding as much in general I'm working on making the STP similar to above, single speed with rigid forks, whereas previously it was set up for some DH and general riding. Hopefully it leads me to spend more time building some trails / pump track at home.

I think in the end both bikes will be pretty similar but still different enough. Not sure if I'd ever want to do a decent commute with the bmx (maybe possible with a super long seat post?) but I know that on the STP it's not a problem. But I'm yet to get into the kind of riding where the bikes are really in their element.

dirt rules
    I had the DMR fork (235mm A2C) on my STP, and it makes the bottom bracket pretty low.
    11-5/8".
    If you go rigid, you might want to get an extra long fork if you don't like really low bottom brackets.

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    I had the DMR fork (235mm A2C) on my STP, and it makes the bottom bracket pretty low.
    11-5/8".
    If you go rigid, you might want to get an extra long fork if you don't like really low bottom brackets.
    Excellent point, but you meant 435 A2C didn't you? Yes that would be equivalent to running a 50mm travel suspension fork or something.

I have my eye on the Identity Rebate XL, still 20mm through axle to fit my current wheel but 465mm A-C which is comparable enough to the Tora I had on it once (470) and not that far off an Argyle (491) or Pike @100 (483). I imagine it would change the HA only by about a degree.

Got to sell some bike gear first though!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    went from bmx way back, to a p.1, and now to a liquid. the p1 was awesome cuz it helped fit me being so tall, then i started to dislike certain attributes of it, dont really need suspension, weak wheels, and weight of it. the liquid came around and it was just what i wanted. shaved almost 10 lbs off my bike weight and got a bike that fit better and worked better in every way.

mtbr member
    I love the BMX. It's small and is easy to stash. You can get a high end one used on CList usually if you are patient.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sealclubber
    went from bmx way back, to a p.1, and now to a liquid. the p1 was awesome cuz it helped fit me being so tall, then i started to dislike certain attributes of it, dont really need suspension, weak wheels, and weight of it. the liquid came around and it was just what i wanted. shaved almost 10 lbs off my bike weight and got a bike that fit better and worked better in every way.

Agreed on the Liquid Feedback 24" as the best trails/street/park oriented 24" bmx out there. The thing is amazing to manual. I have mine set up with full size bmx bars:

Last edited by cmc4130; 05-29-2010 at 05:55 PM.

yeah it still hurts...
    Oct 2009
    dirt jumper, because i feel much more comfortable on it than i do on a bmx. on a bmx i always feel like my weight is too far forward, and with their super steep head angle they get squirrely at high speeds. a bmx would be tougher, but i have more confidencein manuevering a dirt jumper (plus the fork is nice and cushy haha)
    who put that tree there?

Pro Crastinator
    bmx cruiser w/ full size bars for the last 3 1/2 years now....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am primarily a BMX racer, and moved from a 24 to a Black Market last spring and haven't looked back. I even had Standard build me a custom 26" and tried to make it a bit more racey feeling.

locked - time out
    BMX for park, street, trails. When I get an MTB it will be a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    dirt jumper because I like the fork!

mtbr member
    A 26" dirt jumper because I'm old (41), semi-crippled (shattered/fused ankle), fat and out of shape and it's like a BMX for old fat guys

I am going to throw together another 20" for playing around on but having the suspension fork is really nice on decrepit old joints.

mtbr member
    BMX most of the time, it sucks when you land wrong, but it also teaches you at the same time. Suspension gave me a lot of bad habits.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've had a bmx all my life, a fit AM right now. Just got a Norco 4 Hun a few months ago. When hitting large more intimdating jumps I will use my DJ, also for trails (since its an 8 speed). Otherwise BMX. Even though my DJ is still very new I ride both bikes about the same amount.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm looking at buying a fully rigid dirt jumper. Are there any out there besides the Haro steel reserve?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawdodirt View Post
    I'm looking at buying a fully rigid dirt jumper. Are there any out there besides the Haro steel reserve?
    NS has one.
    Last years Specialized p1 was all rigid.
    DK Xenia from Walmart.com.

prob others as well

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    NS has one.
    Last years Specialized p1 was all rigid.
    DK Xenia from Walmart.com.

prob others as well
    How about good hardtails under $1000? I was only looking at the rigids because of price.

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    NS Bikes Metropolis 2 Bike 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

should look around. theyre everywhere. full build rigid ns from chainreaction under 500. commencal maxmax is under 500, dmr drone is 700. theres plenty out there just depends on what you want for a base model to build on.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by echo24 View Post

should look around. theyre everywhere. full build rigid ns from chainreaction under 500. commencal maxmax is under 500, dmr drone is 700. theres plenty out there just depends on what you want for a base model to build on.
    What is your opinion on these:
    NS Bikes Holy 1 Bike 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Haro Bikes - MTB - Bikes - Freestyle MTB - Steel Reserve 1.1
    Haro Bikes - MTB - Bikes - Freestyle MTB - Steel Reserve 1.2

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    i would go with the ns metropolis, holy would be good but that one is discontinued. better parts group. and its only 1 lb heavier which is probably from the fork

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast