mtbr member
    Apr 2010

do you own a 2006 P2/P3 - please help!

I am hoping someone can take some pictures of the bottom bracket and post them or email me, specifically where the crank connects to the spindle on both the drive and non-drive side.

Or if you were willing, remove the cranks and take a few pics or measurements of the spindle. (really not expecting this but it would def be helpful

So my LBS absolutely cannot figure out how specialized made the bottom bracket and chainring spacing work. The chain ring wont clear the frame. We bought the parts that were originally spec'd for the bike, Truvativ Howitzer Team BB, and Holzfeller cranks.
    Calling specialized has not been helpful.

The problem is that some other shop took the original apart, couldnt get the new one figured out and parts from the original are now gone.

The theory is that the bike had some special spacers bumping out the crankset enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This is the best on I have laying around. It was taken right after I swapped the stock 50mm bottom bracket with a 56mm one. You can't see it because of the chain guide but there is one 2.5mm spacer behind the drive side cup.

Here's the before picture with the 50mm in showing the poor chain line. You can see how the silly floating pulley is all the way against the guide how the chain bends when it goes over it, it would actually come off if I back pedaled. I have no idea why they speced a 50mm bb.

How big of a chain ring do you have on there? The stock ring (07 p2 cromo) was a 34t and I don't remember it being too close even with the 50mm bb on there. I have a 32t now with plenty of room. The shell is 73mm so there should be only one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side and none on the other.

Andy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hey thanks for the pics! the chain ring is a 32t... the BB i got, which is a truvativ howitzer team, has 3 spacers. Im wondering how the mechanic used them, maybe if all 3 were on the drive side it would be enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hopefully they didn't use all three spacers. It's all pretty clear in the instructions, I'd hope they read them but who knows. They can be found here as well. http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/AC...itzer-e-r0.pdf. The spacers aren't to adjust the chain line, they adapt the bottom bracket for different shell widths. If you put all three on one side then you won't have enough spindle sticking out to engage the crank splines properly. Can you post a pic of how your mechanic has your's set up?

andy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    oh then im sure they didnt try to do that, these guys definitely know what they are doing, they're just unfamiliar with this bike.
    Ill have to stop by again to get pictures.

Here is what I know for sure, I have gotten multiple sources that said that specialized spec'd the bike for a 57mm chain line. A SRAM tech said that the "56mm CL Truvativ Howitzer Team BB" is the one to use.

However, the old truvativ howitzer BB that we took off had a 148mm spindle on it (i measured it). the new 56mm CL BB we bought has a spindle that is shorter (according to my mechanic).

Here is the catalog info for the different sizing (notice the notes on spindle length i underlined)

howitzer team by justinbin84, on Flickr

what am i missing here?

mtbr member
    I've had a few P bikes and used to manage a LBS and this sentence makes me cringe "oh then im sure they didnt try to do that, these guys definitely know what they are doing, they're just unfamiliar with this bike."

Is the shop one that only does roadbikes or huffys? Seriously, there is nothing mysterious about a P2. Or for that matter figuring out what BB you need.
    I actually have a set of Hussefelts off my friends P2 that are currently on my Kona townie. I know its a 73mm BB with one spacer on the drive side and none on the nondrive side like Andy posted above.
    If you get really desperate let me know and I'll pull them and measure spindle length and whatever else you need but first find a shop that does really know what they're doing.
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    First, just to clear confusion, this is a P3 aluminum frame, (P2 alum was the same frame, which is why i threw it in the title) but its not the chromo. Dont know if that changes anything.

I am fairly confident in these guys, I first brought the bike to a shop that was part of an outdoors store. They definitely were clueless, but this new shop its at specializes in mountain bikes,(though they do not carry specialized bikes) i actually came on here asking for a good shop and got like 7 people to recommend this place, which is why i chose them, they sell a lot of DH bikes. They sell (taken from their website) "Pivot, Ibis, Yeti, Kona, Rocky Mountain, Niner, Cannondale, Felt, Commencal and GT."

i dont know how much better of a bike shop i could find as far as the type of riding they are geared towards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    its looking like specialized used some sort of mix-match of howitzer BB sizes, took the cups/bearings from one size and the extra long spindle from another. My LBS has ordered the other size to see if it works.
    I am honestly surprised i cant find any other posts or anything through searches about this, given all the custom builds people do.

Even specialized has been lacking in support, I finally got someone from SRAM to tell me they believe a custom setup was used for this bike but said only specialized could confirm all the specs/dimensions... now im waiting for an email response.