mtbr member

Do you have a 20" bike?

I have an unquenchable bike addiction. I now have five rides, a 6" trail bike, a DH/FR bike, a Cyclocross bike, a DJ bike and a single speed. Now I want a BMX bike. I never rode BMX as a kid and now I get on one and it feels small and weird but I am curious. Would riding a 20" wheel bike help my riding and jumping? What do you all think? I am just getting into jumping and have some doubles in my yard.

Premium Member
    It'll help if you stay committed. I came from XC/DH and started jumping my trail bike. I got a BMX bike, and it was pretty fun, but it's WAY different. Although I learned a lot quickly, it was too weird so I built up an Evil DOC, which is a 26" wheeled jumping bike. Mine was setup similar to a BMX. I liked it, but it was too clumsy. Now I'm building a 24" wheeled bike called a tonic fab Fall Guy. It's got a BMX feel, but it's a bit easier on the wrists, and easier to get used to. I'd recommend something like the FG or DOC before a full on BMX.

mtbr member
    i came from riding BMX and then got into the MTB scene. now that i have been riding 26in bikes for awhile when i have tried out my friend's 20in bike lately it feels very small and uncomfortable, but easy to do tricks on. BMX bikes are really awesome for doing tricks...but for all around DJ'n i would stick to a 24/26in bike for the versitility.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    It'll help if you stay committed. I came from XC/DH and started jumping my trail bike. I got a BMX bike, and it was pretty fun, but it's WAY different. Although I learned a lot quickly, it was too weird so I built up an Evil DOC, which is a 26" wheeled jumping bike. Mine was setup similar to a BMX. I liked it, but it was too clumsy. Now I'm building a 24" wheeled bike called a tonic fab Fall Guy. It's got a BMX feel, but it's a bit easier on the wrists, and easier to get used to. I'd recommend something like the FG or DOC before a full on BMX.
    I have an old school DK General lee. I also have a 24" DOC with a fork lowered to 50mm to take care of the slack HT.

The above is good advice for sure.

Local Paperboy Hero
    I grew up racing BMX. Now I mostly DJ on a 26. I would recommend a 20. I think it really helps develop your bike skills. If you can smoothly jump and do tricks on a 20... you'll be super smooth on a bigger bike. By the way, I think racing BMX is one of the best ways to develop bike skills, especially dirt jumping skills. Ride one!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I still ride my 20". I find I can learn new tricks on it faster, then transfer them to my 26".
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    20 is fun for sure.go for it,if you already have all those others,i dont think you'll have a hard time shelling out maybe 300$ for something decent!!
    i just got back into riding 20s this summer!
    so this is how you add a signature!!

mtbr member
    nice. good advice. I am not really at the point where tricks are a concern but I want to be able to change it up especially on my home track/course. I am more into developing skills for 4X/DS and jumping but not really freestyle per se. Maybe I will try to borrow one and try it out first I am just worried that it will feel way to wierd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Maybe you should check Craigslist and resale stores for a used one. I picked up a Dyno VFR at a resale shop for $20, just needed tires and a good cleaning.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Local Paperboy Hero
    BMX racing is perfect for developing 4X/DS skills!! The best racers have that background. At least pick up a cruiser and put in some practice at a local BMX track. There should be a few near you...

http://www.ababmx.com/index.php?page...earch=Colorado

Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    borrowing is a good idea,thats what i did before i bought mine.
    so this is how you add a signature!!