mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Hope For DJing Long cage or Short cage derailleur?

hi,
    i am thinking of buying a sram x9 rear derailleur. For urban dj park should i get long cage or short cage. please help me !! is this derailleur wat i should be looking for anyway?
    thanks

mtbr member
    If you are running 3 rings up front go with the long-cage. If you're just running a single up front, go with the short. If you're running two, I'd still go with the short-cage.

I post too much.
    Short cage, less weight, and it is less easy to bash it on stuff. For urban and DJ, you will probably break a lot of derailleurs(I don't consider myself harsh on a drivetrain, but I broke two since last year). Maybe look into a cheaper x7, it'll be less painful to your wallet when you break it.

Portland, OR
    depends on how often you mash up RD's. I've had the same shimano deore long cage rear derailleur for 4 years. never been bashed up too hard. still runs fine.shortcage will work just fine, so will long. but just because of weight, I'd probably choose a short.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by rolling racer
    hi,
    i am thinking of buying a sram x9 rear derailleur. For urban dj park should i get long cage or short cage. please help me !! is this derailleur wat i should be looking for anyway?
    thanks

you didn't post what bike this is going on, so I'll just mention instead of assume, that you also have to account for chain-growth on a full-suspension rig.

Tag1 explained it well too. depends on if you run 1, 2, or 3 rings up front.

also, with the short cage, and less chain links, if properly set-up, you will have a tighter shifting drive-train as well, and ideally less chain bounce too, but unfortunetly doesn't eliminate it...

I don't tend to destroy derailleurs too often, similar to Todd, and on top of that, I have a specialized derailleur guard to make things a bit sturdier (I tend to break many derailleur hangers long before the derailleur itself).

or read above, IonicRipper's got it. I'd agree that for street/park/dj, SS is the way to go for sure...
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 11-19-2006 at 05:10 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Short cage, less weight, and it is less easy to bash it on stuff. For urban and DJ, you will probably break a lot of derailleurs(I don't consider myself harsh on a drivetrain, but I broke two since last year). Maybe look into a cheaper x7, it'll be less painful to your wallet when you break it.
    Or if your the kind that brakes derailleurs frequently, you can maybe take a look at single speeds? Their almost impossible to brake (unless you really want to) and their cheaper then derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i'm new to this MTB stuff, could someone please post up a long and short kage derailer and tell me the benifeits of each? I think my KHS comes stock with a long kage, but I could be wrong. BTW I have a single upfront and just want to take up as much slack w/o going SS. Thanks
    -Colt

I post too much.
    Just take out a few links in the chain or get a chainguide, it'll take up any slack you may have.

dirt rules
    C'mon now, single speed is the way to go. Don't be silly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    yer i run like a more chincky version of a giant stp its called a rockmachine quake. i run 2 up front and 8 at the back thx.