mtbr member
    Sep 2006

DJ vs BMX vs ????

My son wants to get into dirt jumping and general all-around banging around the suburbs. But, I'm a bit torn about what sort of bike to get him. His current mtn bike (way old, crusty, rigid, hand-me-down from the early 90s) is about shot. And I'd like him to be able to join mom and dad (me) on shorter XC rides. He's 12yo, 130lbs+, and 5'2" (ie thick like an linebacker, which is what he happens to play). And although he's hit one growth spurt, I fully expect him to be 6' within the next few years.

So, it seems my choices are...
    - something like a Specialized P-series/Cannondale Chase/etc
    - decent BMX
    - a 24" BMX? or a 26" BMX (if such a thing exists)?
    - an used FS mtn bike (Cannondale Jekyll or something?)

I'm leaning towards a 24" BMX or similar, because it's cheaper. Then, we can get him a XC bike in a year or two, once he's grown a bit more. Make sense?

destructionismyobjective
    Dj/urban type bikes are usually more compact no matter what your size. So even if he grows Id say a djing bike would be a good investment if thats what hes into. If you get one with gears than it would be trailable too. I just got back into biking this summer. I started with a trek xc bike decided I was gonna break it jumping and bought a gary fisher bitter. I love the bike, I use it for eveything some urban, djing and some xc. Its slow in the trails but still alot more fun than a xc bike in my eyes. I opted for one with gears cause I wanted to have the option of riding xc or atleat being able to climb hills. So theres my case but its really up to you.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Those that know me will already know my reply. I suggest you get him a BMX and let him start BMX racing, if he wants. I think BMX racing is the best way to develop bike skills, especially dirt jumping skills. But, if you don't want to go that route. I'd go for a smaller bike, so a 20" or 24" BMX. I think it would be more difficult for him to do any real jumping on a 26. Regardless of what you decide, congrats on keeping him riding!!!

mtbr member
    i would say get him a 24in BMX. there is actually one 26in BMX in the dans comp cataloge made by volume. i would say either of those would cover the DJ riding well. it will also be much cheaper then an MTB for now...then you could buy him an XC bike too.

rock hard or hardrock
    go for 24 with front shocks
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    get him a dj bike because as state you want a small frame anyway, plus you can do some urban riding with it and then if you set it up with 9speeds in the rear and a 32-34t in the front with chainguide and you are set up for some ok xc riding,it would be an all around bike..especially if you get one and then throw a pike on there..90mm urban then 130mm xc with a turn of a knob

something like a P, kona shred, or chase would be nice
    Last edited by Merkyworks; 09-26-2006 at 02:55 PM.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    dk makes a 26 too, its gotta fork tho. there 24 is pretty tight as well.
    specialized has some cool new stuff, there p bikes all look super nice, and they even have a p all mountain. they also sell 20s

mtbr member
    because of his age, I'd say BMX fo sho. I loved mine when I was his age!

mtbr member
    20 or a 24 bmx. 26 will be too big for him to throw around DJing. They're not expensive, so you're not going to get killed when he outgrows it.

I love seeing the 11 year old groms that hang around the local jumps trying to wrangle gigantor Kona Shreds and the like with their five foot builds.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...