Thread: DJ starter

Nix
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

DJ starter

I am a 15 year old boy from Croatia and I would like to get your opinion on the following subject. Well I'm new to the DJ community and I currently don't have a bike and I would like to purchase the Specialized p.1 street 2013 and I'm wondering if it is appropriate for a DJ start bike. Note that I have some experience and I would like to get everyone's opinion just to see what you think about my choices. I would also love to see your opinion on trails I can make(I live next to a forest). P.S please suggest me anything about starting the DJ life.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey Nix,

Yeah you'll be fine on that. Me personally, would lean towards the P.26...but that's just me and my preference for steel for jumping. Not sure how it is in Croatia, but finding a good spot that has good dirt, good tree cover, and will not be found is the tricky part of building trails. Once you've settled on that, get some shovels out there, scope out where you want your sets to be (for the most part...things always change/evolve as you go) and put the shovels to the ground. Woods type trails, as opposed to ones that are in the middle of a field, are the best. Easier to conceal, easier to maintain (keep moist) and way more comfortable in the summer.

I don't know how much experience you have, so I don't want to give you a lesson on building sets with gaps. It sounds like you haven't done much jumping yet, so I would just start out making some table tops if I were you. That way you can get the feel of jumping, judging distance and speed needed, and also how to manipulate the bike in the air to make it into your landing smooth and pumping your landing. Landing smooth (getting good 'backside') is just as important as your take-off's and airs, if not more. You've got to get that dialed, before you can really start riding what are refered to as 'trails', where you have sets one after another, after another, after another...you get the idea. Without that, you'll never make it to your second landing.

Anyway, just start small. Have fun. Get so that you feel like you can jump with your eyes closed, and then start growing from there. Plan on getting addicted to this. And remember, you are probably going to be building and maintaining more than you will be riding. It's addicitve. Totally addictive.

Oh, wear a helmet! The skate type are what you want, I figure you already know that though.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

Nix
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Hey Nix,

Yeah you'll be fine on that. Me personally, would lean towards the P.26...but that's just me and my preference for steel for jumping. Not sure how it is in Croatia, but finding a good spot that has good dirt, good tree cover, and will not be found is the tricky part of building trails. Once you've settled on that, get some shovels out there, scope out where you want your sets to be (for the most part...things always change/evolve as you go) and put the shovels to the ground. Woods type trails, as opposed to ones that are in the middle of a field, are the best. Easier to conceal, easier to maintain (keep moist) and way more comfortable in the summer.

I don't know how much experience you have, so I don't want to give you a lesson on building sets with gaps. It sounds like you haven't done much jumping yet, so I would just start out making some table tops if I were you. That way you can get the feel of jumping, judging distance and speed needed, and also how to manipulate the bike in the air to make it into your landing smooth and pumping your landing. Landing smooth (getting good 'backside') is just as important as your take-off's and airs, if not more. You've got to get that dialed, before you can really start riding what are refered to as 'trails', where you have sets one after another, after another, after another...you get the idea. Without that, you'll never make it to your second landing.

Anyway, just start small. Have fun. Get so that you feel like you can jump with your eyes closed, and then start growing from there. Plan on getting addicted to this. And remember, you are probably going to be building and maintaining more than you will be riding. It's addicitve. Totally addictive.

Oh, wear a helmet! The skate type are what you want, I figure you already know that though.
    Well I already am riding and I have done some jumps on my previous bike and on my friends bike, I just need to start jumping again because I havent riden a bike in over a month. But anyway thank you for helping me and can you please suggest me another good bike for the P.1 price

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Well I already am riding and I have done some jumps on my previous bike and on my friends bike, I just need to start jumping again because I havent riden a bike in over a month. But anyway thank you for helping me and can you please suggest me another good bike for the P.1 price
    NS Metropolis 2:
    NS Bikes 2014 - Stay True!

Haro Steel Reserve 1.2:
    Haro Bikes - MTB - Bikes - Freestyle MTB - Steel Reserve 1.2

Eastern Night Train or Mad Dog

Dirt Jump / Urban Mountain Bikes ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I hadn't heard of NS, CMC. Just perused the site for a good bit. Those are some really nice bikes! I've been jumping 20", but that metropolis 2 might need to be acquired.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.