Thread: DJ sizing

mtbr member

DJ sizing

Hey guys
    im looking into getting a new dirt jumper online. My old banshee was a short and that fit fine but I don't know what size to get my new one. Since I can't go to the shop to try it out, what's the best size to get?

im pretty sure I want either a trek or a giant, and I'm 5' 9" if that helps.

mtbr member
    bump. I'm in the same boat, about 5'9" and about to buy my first DJ. I ride a 17.5" 27.5 AM bike, is the sizing more or less the same? stick with Medium frame?

mtbr member
    Yes, at 5'9", you would probably like a Medium, which in general terms, means an *actual* (not "effective") top tube of 22".

Seat tube height (e.g. 17.5") is irrelevant to Dirt Jumpers, since you don't sit down, and you mostly just want the seat out of the way.

(Actual top tube means the actual top tube measured center of seat tube junction to center of head tube junction, while effective means a theoretical horizontal line to where the seat is). Small is generally considered 21.5"tt and Large is 22.5". Obviously, there will be variations between companies, but that is still the general layout that has been in effect for a solid while.

"cockpit room" is also referred to as "reach" (horizontal) and "stack" (vertical)

mtbr member
    Good illustration, which shows how seat tube angle can throw off top tube measurement comparisons. What really matters is where your feet are compared to your hands when you're standing. The location of the seat is minimally relevant in DJ-mtb and BMX.