Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr boo boo
    Those ideas sound good. I brought in dirt but I still would like to dig down for some pits. I would have brought in less dirt but I have alot of sand and I want the track to last. 14" to 18" roller seem short to me but this is the first track I have ever built. How would a pit like the one in the picture be to roll thru and not jump? My boys are only 6 and 4 and aren't jumping yet. Is the spacing on the pit with the step-up similar to the drawing earlier in this thread? I know I will probably build some of these lines more than once to find out what works but it doesn't hurt to start out with a good plan.
    the step down/step up pit we built is too big for 4 and 6 yrs old. our pump track is really a blend of traditional pump track with bmx trails/dirt jump dimensions...

if you don't already have the the Leelikesbikes.com "Welcome to Pump Track Nation" e-book, i highly recommend it as a great starting point.
    i PM'd you...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have Lee's book on pump tracks, and it has been usefull. I want the track to be a pump track with a bmxtrails/dj influence. The traditional pump track looks like it would be a great workout by itself, but I want more jumps than pumps. I know the pits will be too much for my boys right know so I plan to build some lines with smaller jumpable rollers for them. I want to encourage them as much as I can. I take them to a local abandon bmx track when I can and they love it. I will definitely be able to spend more time at the track if they come with me. PM sent.

mtbr member
    I have Lee's book on pump tracks, and it has been usefull. I want the track to be a pump track with a bmxtrails/dj influence. The traditional pump track looks like it would be a great workout by itself, but I want more jumps than pumps. I know the pits will be too much for my boys right know so I plan to build some lines with smaller jumpable rollers for them. I want to encourage them as much as I can. I take them to a local abandon bmx track when I can and they love it. I will definitely be able to spend more time at the track if they come with me. PM sent.
    speaking of abandoned BMX tracks....
    there is a lot you can learn about how BMX race tracks and how they work design-wise (both good tracks and bad tracks), and how they are different from both pump tracks and BMX "Trails." IMO a "next level" pump track takes influences both from bmx tracks and from trails (and maybe skateparks too). from bmx tracks, you take the mellowness and rollableness--you want to flow over stuff fast and low. peakyness or steep angles will throw off the natural flow... BMX trails is all about spacing--in rhythm sections you dive into one landing into a bowl and boost out the next lip... skatepark bowl corners will show a lot about berms...

first off.... BMX tracks and starting hills.... here's an example of a starting hill that is seriously lacking for the size of the first jump. in BMX trails, riders generally want to drop in and hit something, or maybe take 3 to 5 cranks a couple of rollers and then hit something. this one, you'd have to crank like a maniac to hit the first table.

next... rollers that are too short and peaky. there are two ways to fix this roller--get rid of it, or make it a lot bigger/mellower/longer, more like a wave, not like a speed bump.

once again, rollers should not be bump--FLAT--bump---FLAT..... they should be waves.... about 7-10 wheelbarrows of dirt on each one of these would fix them....

next... berms with too big off a radius basically aren't working for their intended purpose. note how the tire-packed area is not even on the berm.... the reason BMX track berms are huge is that riders are pedaling full speed. if you just want to cruise/flow through a pump track , you want MUCH smaller radius turns.

this section was actually pretty good. 3 rollable doubles (tables with a little bit of camel-back shape to them) in a row. the problem here is simply speed. you have to come cranking like a crackhead around a mellow radius berm, then you hit these pretty long sets. in pump track or BMX trails terms, sets this size would be good at the bottom of a decline, but on flat ground they should just be shorter. 10-13 feet instead of 16-20.....

pump track design can actually learn a lot from skateparks. (i skated for 10 years, bmx for 25).
    to be super-fluid and effortless, pump track berms IMO should be more like skatepark bowl corners than like traditional bmx track berms . .

so... this berm at our spot is roughly an 8 foot radius (typical skatepark transition), only maybe 3 feet high at the most... but try to transition the face of the berm up in a skatepark bowl shape and you'll be able to lean a lot harder...... plus it just kinda looks cool..

that's all for now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    nice picks of the crappy Allen BMX. They need to turn that thing into a dirt jump park

mtbr member
    here's a little more motivation..........

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/lyons-b...ride-sesh.html

i like rocks
    very nice. one of those plate tampers has been on my DO WANT list.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford
    very nice. one of those plate tampers has been on my DO WANT list.
    bought one the other day, I use Pam no-stick to keep the dirt from clumping on it

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    bought one the other day, I use Pam no-stick to keep the dirt from clumping on it
    BRILLIANT!

our dirt has CRAZY high clay content, which makes for some bomber jumps, but it can be very hard to work with. any idea on how the tamp might work for breaking up clumps of dry stuff or packing down the wet crazy sticky stuff??
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Finally got some time to work on the pump track plans again. I have an area cleared for the track with 100yds of clay waiting for me to get started.
    Here is the proposed plan. I think I have the outside lines figured out, the rollers will be about 10' peak to peak with 2 pits on the long sides that are 20' lip to landing. I still don't know what I want to do with the inside lines. I have indicated on the plan where there will be transfers from the outside to inside lines. I know some of this will change once we start moving dirt and riding it. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas for some fun lines.I like CMC's ideas about monster rollers and pits and would like to incorporate the step-down to pit to step-up form earlier in this thread. The track is going to be more of a jump/pump track then a pure pump track. I will also be building a roll-in ramp where its noted on the plan, probably about 8' to 10' high. Track dimensions are 51'-8 x 117'-6".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DJ , Pump Track plans-pump-track-post-email.jpg  

mtbr member
    Finally got some time to work on the pump track plans again. I have an area cleared for the track with 100yds of clay waiting for me to get started.
    Here is the proposed plan. I think I have the outside lines figured out, the rollers will be about 10' peak to peak with 2 pits on the long sides that are 20' lip to landing. I still don't know what I want to do with the inside lines. I have indicated on the plan where there will be transfers from the outside to inside lines. I know some of this will change once we start moving dirt and riding it. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas for some fun lines.I like CMC's ideas about monster rollers and pits and would like to incorporate the step-down to pit to step-up form earlier in this thread. The track is going to be more of a jump/pump track then a pure pump track. I will also be building a roll-in ramp where its noted on the plan, probably about 8' to 10' high. Track dimensions are 51'-8 x 117'-6".
    Looks good, but at this point I think you just need to get started. Build the outside loop and ride it for a while THEN decide how you want the inside stuff. Leave the super technical stuff like 360 berms till later. I suggest just building the 4 corner berms first, with nothing in between, then ride it to get a feeling of how fast you'll want to be going. Spacing of rollers and jumps has everything to do with speed. Once you dig a pit it is SERIOUS pain to move it. Learned that the hard way.

Here's another step down to step up we built (or at least started) last Saturday:
    http://www.vimeo.com/9014974 Natural ravines/washouts/whatver you call 'em are great. you build a kicker or flat wedge drop 10-15 ft back from the decline. it purely depends on how much speed you want to crank into it with. we're still working on the landing.
    Last edited by cmc4130; 01-28-2010 at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I agree that I need to just get started. The only reason for all the planning right now is that I don't have a lot of help and I have 100 yds of dirt to move and that doesnt include digging the pits.. I am planning to bring in a bobcat to move the majority of the dirt and want to get as much done as possible with the machinery. Once thats done I know it will start taking shape. I know the only way to get it right is to ride it and find out what works and what doesn't.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    FInally got a chance to move some dirt. I had about 100 yds of clay to move to get the track started. I brought in a bobcat for a few hours and got a lot accomplished. The outside berms and lines are in place as well as the dirt for the 360 berms, Now I just need to get a chance to get out there and start shaping and compacting the dirt. I will be bringing in more dirt for the exisiting rollers and the rest of the inside lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DJ , Pump Track plans-pump-4-email.jpg  

DJ , Pump Track plans-pump-email-5.jpg  

mtbr member
    FInally got a chance to move some dirt. I had about 100 yds of clay to move to get the track started. I brought in a bobcat for a few hours and got a lot accomplished. The outside berms and lines are in place as well as the dirt for the 360 berms, Now I just need to get a chance to get out there and start shaping and compacting the dirt. I will be bringing in more dirt for the exisiting rollers and the rest of the inside lines.
    good goin !

mtbr member
    this spot looks well-built, smooth, with creative lines.

Johnson Pumptrack and Dirt Jumps
    http://www.vimeo.com/7423750

mtbr member

mtbr member
    did another write-up in this thread:

"dirt jump specs?"
    dirt jumps - specs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi, and sorry to bump an old thread. i'm not a DJ'er by any means, but i'm building a pump track in a ~60'x30' space, and i was thinking of incorporating some of the ideas in this thread (along with Lee McCormack's).

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130
    you should definitely use natural terrain ups and downs. it's more challenging, but in the end it is way more fun.

for going up a slight incline or gaining speed from a slow speed consider an accelerating rollers design:
    This "accelerating rollers" idea is one that i like. Does anyone here have any opinions on how well they would work if the track is bidirectional? that is, if a rider were coming down a slight slope, and encountered smaller, more frequent rollers as he descended, would it throw off the flow?

i'll have some other questions later, but for now, thanks in advance for lending whatever knowledge you guys have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshben
    Hi, and sorry to bump an old thread. i'm not a DJ'er by any means, but i'm building a pump track in a ~60'x30' space, and i was thinking of incorporating some of the ideas in this thread (along with Lee McCormack's).

This "accelerating rollers" idea is one that i like. Does anyone here have any opinions on how well they would work if the track is bidirectional? that is, if a rider were coming down a slight slope, and encountered smaller, more frequent rollers as he descended, would it throw off the flow?

i'll have some other questions later, but for now, thanks in advance for lending whatever knowledge you guys have.
    it definitely feels different going the other direction, but it works. i usually roll the big one then double-manual the last two. maybe i'll get a vid of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    wow, thanks for the quick response! you truly are an invaluable resource to this community.

mtbr member
    hey Dr. B B, any riding pics or vids yet?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No riding pics yet. When I started the track work was really slow and then I got busy, which is a good thing. I have only had time for one ride a week and no time to build. Good news though, went out to the track on Wednesday with a buddy and started work again. We didn't have a lot of time but we we're able to rake out all the rollers and berms and start watering the dirt. I'm going to either rent or borrow a compactor to speed up the process. I can't wait to start riding the track. Now that I have some help I think building will start moving right along.

mtbr member
    this roller in the street course at the new Cedar Park, Texas, skatepark is a good example of a bubbled over (or VW'd) roller shape that is not peaky.

mtbr member
    now this is a serious Monster Roller.

forget what you've learned about pump tracks having to have rollers that are no more than 18" tall.

this will add some serious fun to a pump track.

from
    http://leastmost.com/news/the-lord/

by rounding off what would otherwise be a table, you make it perfect for scrubs....

mtbr member
    in this drawing (which is to scale), 15" height from bottom of pit to peak of roller corresponds with roughly 12' (actually 11.875') spacing, if you're doing a 1:9.5 ratio.

also note how the shape of the roller does not come up to a peak. it is just the inverse of a bowl, the top of a dome, VW beetle roof, however you want to think of it.

also note that the radius i used to draw the rollers and pits would be roughly 7'6". SO.... if these rollers are heading into a berm, you could use a 7.5' radius for the berm, and the "wave" effect will feel consistent. the berm is really a sideways pit/trough/bowl.

Last edited by cmc4130; 10-14-2010 at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    quick edit from one afternoon (Kristen's 'K-dog'' birthday jam)
    http://www.vimeo.com/16608877

as you may be able to tell, my philosophy of pump tracks (and the austin/bmx style of pump track) is a pump track with full sized tables and rollable doubles mixed in. it's a blend of bmx trails and "pump track").

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast