Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That looks like a sick pump track! great work guys!

We finally go the Cottage Grove bike park open for the season... we had almost 30 inches of rain in April through June when we average about 12 so lots of rain!
    https://www.facebook.com/cottagegrovebp

but check out the video

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow man - that is ridiculously cool. I'd love to be able to do something like that at some point in the future. Now I'm gonna have to go check out the history of the whole effort. Congrats, you guys rule!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks its a cool park and a game changer for our region. The park isn't finished. We are building some DJ's this year with the bell built grant as well as a tot track. There maybe other additions as money comes to us. They park is volunteer built and maintained and donation funded... your project is rad too! Keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice work Chance! The park looks great and I see lots of smiles in that vid.

Ink

mtbr member

Finally Ridable

After finishing up the pump track restoration project, I set out to film a fun video in which I try to capture all the diverse line choices that our pump has to offer.

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006
    Park riders and DJ fans might be interested in a new IMBA book about purpose-built mountain bike facilities. It offers 178 information-packed pages, with essays from more than two dozen expert contributors, and is loaded with 116 full-color photos, plus real-world bike park schematics, graphs, charts, and much more.

https://www.imba.com/catalog/book-bi...-school-trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice! been waiting for this to come out to give it to my land manager!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    When you say "outer diameter," are you referring to the widest area that there will be any dirt (including the backside of the berm) or are you referring to the top edge of the riding surface (which would be equivalent to the coping in a skate bowl) ?

Depending on how steep you slant the backside of the berm, the bottom of the backside of the berm could be another 2'6" (like in this picture) or more further out.

So if your outer diameter of space to work with is only 13, then that only leaves you a 6'6" radius to the back of the berm, meaning the radius at the riding line might only be 4'-ish. IMO, that's just not going to work well with a 180 berm.

That said, Lee McCormack's Welcome to Pump Track Nation e-book has a diagram of The Fix pump track (I guess from back in 2004 or so) that shows a super-tight 180 berm with a 38" radius to the riding line. I have talked with a friend who rode that pump track. He's a guy who used to win 4x races and he thought the Fix pump track was crazy tight/tech/difficult-and-not-in-a-good-way. But he also said that once you kind of got the hang of a full body tilt-should-drop-lunge into that tiny radius, you started to get the hang of it.... It kind of seems like the tighter a 180 radius gets, the more the face of the berm has to go to almost-vert. You really have to get sideways to pin it.

I saw this pic on Facebook, of the Sombrio Ladies pump track jam, Whistler.
    Even though they're wood, these transitioned-face bowl corner style berms are rad. Note how they continued the transition up to almost-vert, just to ensure that no one is going over the top.
    Hey Cullen - I actually got to ride that 38" radius berm at the Fix some years back. It was only about 18" tall, too, so it was crazy ass technical. Took me a while to actually be able to hit it, and was fun once learned, but would probably never build a pump track with a turn that tight.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13