mtbr member
    Oct 2006

DJ bike will suit me?

Hi all,
    Im getting into biking, and this it what I plan.
    Ride to work 3 times a week, noting major, its only a few ks all round. On the weekend take it out to the tralis and national parks and hit a few jumps and drops.
    I think theis style of ride is more freeride, but I am wondering if a DJ is the way to go. They always seem to have mad spec bikes, and the way i figure, they are made to take a hit. I plan jumps and drops, nothing huge, drops of prolly 3-4 foot, and mild jumps.
    Major questions are-
    I plan to ride this along a few trails. With a longer post, could I ride for say 2-3 hours easily in a DJ bike?
    They seem to be built for jumps drops, so I assume they will last me longer than a FR HT bike? I was looking at the Norco Rival or Bigfoot, they seem to be more FR bikes, but if a DJ bike also suits, ill explore that avenue also.
    Oh im also about 6 ft tall and 75kg abouts. 22 years old, if that matters also.
    Thanks for the help.
    Schmo

mtbr member
    Get an all mountain bike (Like a Kona Dawg, SC heckler etc.), or a beefy HT which is more trail oriented. A DJ rig will be heavier, and harder to pedal.
    If you insist on a DJ bike, some DJ bikes could be taken to the trail as well.

I post too much.
    A freeride hardtail can be jumped pretty easily, so it's no biggie wether you choose to go the DJ or freeride hardtail way. A freeride HT won't excel in jumping, but it won't suck either, it will just be more at home on the trail and on drops and stunts. A dirt jumping bike is more at home on a dirt jump course, 4x track or urban riding, which doesn't mean it will totally suck at everything else.

Basically, it all comes down to fit and comfort, so long as the bike you choose has gears, is confortable to be on(you may need to go for a pretty large frame on a dirt jumping bike) and lets you have a relatively long seat post, you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i say freeride hardtail with adjustable fork like a pike or one of the new rock shox forks. crank it up for going down. drop it for pedalling or jumps.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    i say freeride hardtail with adjustable fork like a pike or one of the new rock shox forks. crank it up for going down. drop it for pedalling or jumps.
    That is, if you have the budget for it.

tuck-n-roll master
    For what you want, the stuff from Norco would be perfect.

I post too much.
    Norco's in general ride great. A friend of mine rides an '05 torrent with a stance static for street riding and he really likes it.