..ouch

DJ & 4X - Bank vs STP vs VIP Absolut 4x

Looking to pick up a hardtail I can use for 4x and DJ but can also handle some trail riding to get to the DJs (1x9 setup). The build will need to be on the burly side as I weigh nearly 240.

Doing some research I'm torn between the Transition Bank, the STP and the Commencal VIP Absolute 4x. All seem to have similar geo except the STP appears to have a much taller standover. Anyone have experience between these? Something else I should be considering as well? I'll likely match it up with an Argyle 318.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK so im lost What does 4x stand for??

I have a STP. The reason for it having a higher standover is b/c the geo was built around Jeff Lenosky and he uses his bike for trials also. I have jumped my STP a few times so far and it feels very sturdy. I am also on the big side (220). I don't have any experience with the other bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    4 cross.... Think bmx racing on a mountain type bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    oh ok.

mtbr member
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That seems cool.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just for coolness factor, I'd say VIP. It also has an adjustable HA, if you're interested in that.

Can't really go wrong with any of those, but I'd say VIP > Bank > STP (nobody likes tall standover). Again, coolness factor.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan97
    Just for coolness factor, I'd say VIP. It also has an adjustable HA, if you're interested in that.

Can't really go wrong with any of those, but I'd say VIP > Bank > STP (nobody likes tall standover). Again, coolness factor.
    Thx. This is same ranking that I've been thinking.. but I can't decide if the VIP is really worth a couple hundred extra just for coolness. Adjustable HA is great and all, but I don't know that it would matter as much for these types of riding.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Thx. This is same ranking that I've been thinking.. but I can't decide if the VIP is really worth a couple hundred extra just for coolness. Adjustable HA is great and all, but I don't know that it would matter as much for these types of riding.

That's true, if you like the HA already, no real need for it. If you like to fiddle, it's great though.

Like I said, the bank would definitly be my next choice. Transition makes great, burly bikes, and the green paint choice for the bank is just lucious!

They also offer well priced build kits, if you're interested.

go huck yourself
    bank
    Dirt jumps come and go, but dirt junkies will dig forever.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    +1 Bank.

Badass eccentric dropout, very cool 4x frame.

Why is Transition so cool?

..ouch
    Thanks folks.. after making a few calls it seems I can get the better deals on the Bank so that seals it for me. Now the tough part... color choices. I'm leaning towards green.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Duuuuuuuuuude.

GREEN.

What a sick frame. It reminds me of my Dr. Jekyll a little bit...BSX/4X, Aluminum, adjustable drops, forged yolks, beefy....

Your retarded
    Thump, you know who is a good resource to answer this question with experience rather than advice? The Agency in Littleton. I'm doing the exact same search you are right now. I rolled up to his shop last weekend and rode literally 10 DJ bikes and 3 BMXs, including a Commencal VIP Absolute 4X. I got this close to buying it, but didn't bring enough pennies in my budget. Go ride these bikes before buying them, and The Agency can make that happen and can probably make you a good deal on whatever you choose to get.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

To "Air" Is Human

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Thump, you know who is a good resource to answer this question with experience rather than advice? The Agency in Littleton. I'm doing the exact same search you are right now. I rolled up to his shop last weekend and rode literally 10 DJ bikes and 3 BMXs, including a Commencal VIP Absolute 4X. I got this close to buying it, but didn't bring enough pennies in my budget. Go ride these bikes before buying them, and The Agency can make that happen and can probably make you a good deal on whatever you choose to get.
    Thanks Nicolas...

There were four VIP 4x's at the Jump Jam last Sunday. thump, feel free to come in and ride one.

..ouch
    Thanks, Nick.. I had checked out Mojo's and The Fix but neither seemed to have what I was looking for built up at the moment. Btw, I didn't know they made a VIP in XXXL sizes.

The Agency - I'll try to get in there this weekend.. you happen to have any Bank's built right now for comparison?

To "Air" Is Human
    ...Btw, I didn't know they made a VIP in XXXL sizes.

The Agency - I'll try to get in there this weekend.. you happen to have any Bank's built right now for comparison?
    How tall are you? I don't have a built Bank.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by The Agency
    How tall are you? I don't have a built Bank.
    A bit over 5' 10".

To "Air" Is Human
    You should have seen him on the 20's...

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I wish I had a resource like that.

All I have in Dallas is the forums. I get razzed like a madman when I show up in LBS because i don't ride a roadie or shave my legs.

Your retarded
    Yeah, but I fell in love with those 20" wheels. It's all I talked about when I got home. Goofy looking with me riding one or not, I want a BMX in a bad way.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

..ouch
    Assuming that looked similar to this..
    127003866_386016484b.jpg

To "Air" Is Human

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Yeah, but I fell in love with those 20" wheels. It's all I talked about when I got home. Goofy looking with me riding one or not, I want a BMX in a bad way.
    They are waiting for you...

Assuming that looked similar to this..
    Nice.

To "Air" Is Human
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo!
    I wish I had a resource like that.

All I have in Dallas is the forums. I get razzed like a madman when I show up in LBS because i don't ride a roadie or shave my legs.
    You should show up and ride some legs and shave a roadie...that'll fix 'em. I lived in Texas for 4 months I don't think I shifted of my big ring the entire time. We have one Volume fixie in our shop...other than that, we don't do road/lycra.