Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Dirt Jumping Niche - Can an Old Guy Noob be Accepted?

I recently bought a DJ bike, some people on this site may consider it a poser / inferior bike (its the Specialized P2). I am a beginner but the bike is making me look good cause it jumps so easy, ran it at the local pump track and found the other riders to appreciate the bike instead of hating on it. I am not a stupid man, I understand that DJ'ing is kind of an underground activity that appeals to younger people and they may not want it to turn into a commercialized mainstream activity over-run with posers and hacks. But, what I can say is that the guys I chatted with yesterday were friendly and enthusiastic about my presence there, and my willingness to learn the sport. I guess I expected to be potentially rejected, but I actually found that the DJ set in my city were actually more friendly than the MTB set. Geez, maybe I want it to stay underground myself, now that I think about it. Anyway, next time you see an older guy that seems like a poser at your local DJ park, just give him a chance, he may understand he is kind of out of place, he won't ruin your good time, and he is probably going to do more good for your sport than harm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You get old when you stop playing, you stay young when you keep on playing... What I realise with mtb, bmx and skating is that the dudes that meet eachother don't pay attention to age anymore... You might see a group of very young kids have conversations with guys twice their age. It's all about the riding...

Slopestyle Rider
    Old guys get props at the dj's around here. I should know, I'm one of them. While I'm only 36, I still am usually twice the age of most of the kids I ride with.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, been spending lots of time at the pumptrack lately, the stigma is only perceived. Everyone is cool with everyone being there at all skill levels.

And the Specialized P line kicks ass from what I can tell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Its all about havin fun and as long as you pick up a shovel or rake and lend a hand you will get along fine at most dj spots

I'm 39 and I didn't start djs till I was about 32, never had a bmx. I'm not out there tryin to act like I'm a kid and I'm not trying to go to the xgames, just trying to be a better rider. I find myself hangin out with kids that are still in high school and its cool, most of them are mature from hangin out with older people at the dj spots anyway.

What seems weird to me is it seems like the people that ride are either old like me or young like still in highschool or just graduated. Not to many people in the mid twenties that ride.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TortugaTonta
    Not to many people in the mid twenties that ride.
    A lot of people at that age are drinking and trying to get laid. By the time you are 30 you've plowed through plenty of strange and riding bikes takes priority.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This forum is full of hate on the P bikes...I ride an 08 P1( because I have tuitiion to pay for, not another custom frame build) I bet if you were on a road bike and showed up on a "fast" club ride with the young guys you might catch some slack... I've found mountain bikers to be a whole other breed of people. For the most part, everyone is cool but there always has to be someone that doesn't know you that will not like you. If you're having fun on a bike and it is clear to see, than any decent rider should throw you some respect (regardless if you have an expensive custom or a big brand-out of the box bike). Im only 27 but more power to you, and have fun!

Don't skid
    31 here and have been hanging out at the skate park and DJ's alot lately. Many of the guys are half my age but everyone is cool. Everyone once in awhile there's that "too cool for school" guy, he's usually the one with no helmet that likes to cut people off. I ride a P2 and have never gotten attitude about it, but have noticed that on these boards there is some angst. Another guy I ride with is 55 and rips it at the skate park and knows all the local kids and they know him.
    So no, you're not too old, you'll just progress a little slower (injuries take longer to heal the older you get, it sux).
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

KIBZIE
    I don't know the first thing about P Series bikes so I can't comment on that but I'm all for new riders, what ever the age. Ive spoken to a few 30+ riders in my area that are getting into DJ/Trails after riding other sorts of bikes for years. I know I'm going to keep riding for as long as I enjoy and my body can take it. Look at John Cowan and Dave Mirra. Into their 30s and still two of the most loved and respected riders in the sport.
    There's Only One Word For That Dude.... B!TCHIN'

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Age is nothing but a number.
    :: wrenchscience ::

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by KIBZIE
    Look at John Cowan..........the most loved and respected riders in the sport.
    Hey Agency, wanna take a crack at this one since I really shouldn't comment?

KIBZIE
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Hey Agency, wanna take a crack at this one since I really shouldn't comment?
    Whats the matter with that?
    There's Only One Word For That Dude.... B!TCHIN'

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by KIBZIE
    Whats the matter with that?
    I'll let the Agency tell you a little about John Cowan.

I post too much.
    I like seeing older guys at the DJ's(I'm 19), they are usually pretty cool, often not as good/daring as the young guys, but they usually have awesome bike stories to tell, and are having fun just as much as I am.

dirt rules
    Accept the youngsters for who they are, and they will accept you....
    Show up when it's time to dig.
    Don't obsess about bikes, just ride what you can, and keep it in top shape. Bring some tools and help out the people who let their bikes fall apart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    snip...
    So no, you're not too old, you'll just progress a little slower (injuries take longer to heal the older you get, it sux).
    Ain't that the truth!

I'm turning the big 4-OH in a couple of weeks.....think I need to take a field trip to some skate parks
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There's this guy that worked at my lbs, I'm not sure if he still does, but everyone calls him uncle jimmi. He's an older guy but he is extreme. Take a look at some of his pictures at this link:

http://freeridesouth.com/pics/pics.p...ry=uncle+jimmi

He mainly rode hardtails but, some of the ones on the firs page are of him flipping his full suspension bike. Old guys can throw it down.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Plats
    ...I am not a stupid man, I understand that DJ'ing is kind of an underground activity that appeals to younger people...
    and all this time, i actually believed you weren't stupid...
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 08-10-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: eye iz teh sukc at teh spellin...

Slopestyle Rider
    Where have you been WCH? Not a lot of posting lately... Digging?

Pro Crastinator
    Where have you been WCH? Not a lot of posting lately... Digging?
    life and riding related crap. a new job and a few bike trips here and there. recent injuries aren't helping much. we did get a new pump for our trails, pumps out about 3 times the water of our old one. the digging season is starting to go down here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Those who race gravity in Colorado's Mountain States Cup know how a 52 year old rides on a P3, having an earlier P bike frame replaced. I started a 48 years old

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    life and riding related crap. a new job and a few bike trips here and there. recent injuries aren't helping much. we did get a new pump for our trails, pumps out about 3 times the water of our old one. the digging season is starting to go down here...
    I'm gonna be in SoCal the 14th-17th. of August. No bike, but I'd be down to watch you guys ride for a day...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just turned 51. Ha!

To "Air" Is Human
    I'm almost 33. I didn't realize there were so many of us "older" guys on this forum. I got a guy coming in for a Commencal Max Max later that is in his 40's. He already owns a DMR Transition 24".

I'll let the Agency tell you a little about John Cowan.
    Wow, how did I miss this thread? Too much Olympics! I had a big response typed out here with a story from CO Crankworx but I don't think this is the right thread. Let's just say it is easy to spot John at events...he is the guy with the scowl on his face at all times.

i like rocks
    the 30 something and over crowd (which i'm a member of) appears to be the more dedicated group around these parts.
    Tim M Hovey

IMBA CAMBr COMBA BMA
    Transition Bottlerocket
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Blk Mrkt MOB 4x
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 F350 PSD

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast