Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bikes Rule
    dbl post.

Bikes Rule
    The best is being 34 and showing up to the DJ/park areas with a 2 - 6. Double the fun. Most are very cool and really ask about the bike and comment how nice it is. Then I ride for a bit and mention that it is easier for the young guys. That usually spawns off the "how old are you?". Most think that is ancient, but they really act normal. At least where I ride the group is diverse with all ages and 20" through 26" bikes...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think that's old-school thinking anyhow. I'm 40; it's my parent's generation to think that way IMO.

I'm about to buy a house with some land on it. I'm not thinking twice about building a pump track on it. I don't physically feel any different than when I was in my twenties, and while I now can't afford to be out with an injury that doesn't mean I can't have fun without being too rad.

There IS one difference I think, though:

My generation coming up seemed more into getting out there and BUILDING, whether it was dirt jumps, trails, skateboard ramps. Seems like I encounter kids all the time today that say things like "I'd ride more, but the skatepark is too far away, or the track is too far away" - meanwhile, there's woods nearby, a field, whatever.. I ask "do you have a shovel? Do you have a hammer?" and they act like it's some sort of magic to actually build such things, much less have the INITIATIVE to do so.

/ that wasn't me and my buddies when I was 13, riding an "appropriated" sheet of plywood down the hill on my skateboard to build a ramp
    // that also wasn't me that built jumps behind the school.. or a number of other schools
    /// .... or on the lot behind the Kroger
    //// ... or the ramps INSIDE Kroger when they were building it
    ////.... or wearing the rut in that guy's front yard who had the nice table top jump adjacent to his driveway
    ///// .... homeowner's associations can write a notice more easily than tearing down a half-pipe
    ////// etc...

Slopestyle Rider
    I'm 36 and my dad used to go to all my amateur AFA comps with me back in the day... we traveled all over the country together at Mongoose's expense. The day before I rode Crankworx Colorado last month, he called me to up to pump me up. Told me a bunch of stuff I forgot about competing (visualize your first trick, think ahead, etc...). Super cool having an almost 60 year old dad who thinks it's cool I still ride and compete...

mtbr member
    we got a clique of 4 riders, im 26, other ages are 44, 30 and 17... age isnt anything...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Age

Glad to here age is nothing i'm 47 , just picked up my first dj prob is can't ride i'm in Fl. haven't seen the sun in 5 days. BTW it's an '09 STP 1. I really don't know a darn thing about this stuff but willi'n to learn . open to sugg. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yo, here is my update: Did the pump track initially, hope to get back there soon. But, me and the nephew went out to the farm and got our shovels to start our own jump park. Two weekends later and we got three doubles, the largest is a 6 foot gap with almost 3 foot launch. We just started small and the dirt is very forgiving, so cased jumps are easily scrubbed off. DJ'ing is so different than mountain biking, the only thing it has in common is the two wheels. We hang out, shovel, then get all brave and try our jumps each time we make em bigger. Now all the other nephews are excited to get into it; it's gonna be cool, cause our little DJ park is right next to the cabin and we got chairs for peeps to hang out while others hit the jumps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TortugaTonta
    Its all about havin fun and as long as you pick up a shovel or rake and lend a hand you will get along fine at most dj spots

I'm 39 and I didn't start djs till I was about 32, never had a bmx. I'm not out there tryin to act like I'm a kid and I'm not trying to go to the xgames, just trying to be a better rider. I find myself hangin out with kids that are still in high school and its cool, most of them are mature from hangin out with older people at the dj spots anyway.

What seems weird to me is it seems like the people that ride are either old like me or young like still in highschool or just graduated. Not to many people in the mid twenties that ride.
    that's cuz all the 20 something bmx riders move to austin.

What's the Speed of Dark?
    That's an awesome update Plats!
    Keep the progress going!
    Tricks Like: The Heavy Metal Maniac's Dizz Flip, Redefine the Term "Radness"

dirt rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Plats
    Yo, here is my update: Did the pump track initially, hope to get back there soon. But, me and the nephew went out to the farm and got our shovels to start our own jump park. Two weekends later and we got three doubles, the largest is a 6 foot gap with almost 3 foot launch. We just started small and the dirt is very forgiving, so cased jumps are easily scrubbed off. DJ'ing is so different than mountain biking, the only thing it has in common is the two wheels. We hang out, shovel, then get all brave and try our jumps each time we make em bigger. Now all the other nephews are excited to get into it; it's gonna be cool, cause our little DJ park is right next to the cabin and we got chairs for peeps to hang out while others hit the jumps.
    Get in the habit of building the landings a bit bigger than the lips! Looks like you guys are in for tons of fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubens Hakkamacher

There IS one difference I think, though:

My generation coming up seemed more into getting out there and BUILDING, whether it was dirt jumps, trails, skateboard ramps. Seems like I encounter kids all the time today that say things like "I'd ride more, but the skatepark is too far away, or the track is too far away" - meanwhile, there's woods nearby, a field, whatever.. I ask "do you have a shovel? Do you have a hammer?" and they act like it's some sort of magic to actually build such things, much less have the INITIATIVE to do so. ........
    i know what you mean . . . . but i think some people are builders/diggers and some just aren't. no matter what the age. you just haven't found the right younger dudes to help you.

mtbr member
    i think you're right, though about lack of DIY plywood in skateboarding. open any skateboard mag, and the photos are 80% handrails and stairs/ledges, 15% cement skatepark/bowls/pools and 5% or less home-constructed plywood ramps. (where'd i get those numbers? out of my .ass.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130
    that's cuz all the 20 something bmx riders move to austin.
    Haha! Thats funny! the one 19 year old I ride with is moving to Greenville NC too ride with Mirra and those guys down there. He will never get any better ridding with an old fart like me so I think its damn cool he is young and has a chance to ride with good guys to step his game up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm 47, never left the sport(started dj in 1969) My P bike is the best bike I've ever built and is never dissed on at the trails.

mtbr member
    I am 46 and I started jumping (doubles) a year ago!

I ride with guys ranging from 12 to 57.... age is a number, that's all. I do not act my age or feel it, most of the time!

Nobody has ever given me a hard time in person at the dirt jumps. A few people have given attitude online. But never to my face. Funny how some people are very brave behind a computer. 99.9% of the people I have met riding are very cool. Nobody should give you a 'tude for being out riding your bike and having fun.
    "Well I don't drink as much as I ought to."

~Jerry Jeff Walker~

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    anyone familiar with the scene in the SF bay area? I'm moving there soon, I freeride, but new to DJ. any tips?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    24 years old...love my 08 p1--had to change a few things to get it that way though

Anyone who gives other riders attitude just hurts the sport in my opinion...as long as you have fun riding--regardless of age--that's all that matters

mtbr member

Sheep

I'm 37, seems like middle of the pack for this crew. I'm glad to hear I have a few years left.
    As far as building goes, the 23 year old I dig with imparted a little wisdom on me after I got bent at some of the younger guys who come out and rip, but never dig.

Story goes: people are either sheep or goats. Goat are independent, do what they want and tear things up. Sheep people follow everybody else around and get screwed by the farmer in the end.

I felt better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm new to the Montclair area and would like to go ride pleasanton, shells, etc. or freeride. I'm a noob in DJ, have a solid DJ rig, and would be up for riding companions in the Bay Area . PM if interested

I really like Cookies
    You were dirt jumping in 1969, was it on a beach cruiser?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    this thread made my day as I began to feel a bit old amongst all these 16 year olds at the park...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'm 24 now and I still hit the jumps occasionally. While I'm not nearly as good as most of the kids I've got a camera that costs as much as their cars so I offer to take pictures.

Only downside? College takes away from money being spent on a new DJ bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpspac3
    anyone familiar with the scene in the SF bay area? I'm moving there soon, I freeride, but new to DJ. any tips?
    http://www.sandhillracing.com/

I wanted to go there last time I was in SF, but I couldn't make it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ncossey
    You were dirt jumping in 1969, was it on a beach cruiser?
    no, I had to build my own BMX. A friend of mine brought home a huge book from the Library about this new sport called BMX. It showed us how to cut a section out of the down tube and seat tube of our stingrays to raise the BB up and reweld it. I then robbed the three piece cranks off my sisters bike. we went to a bicycle wrecking yard in this old guys back yard to scrounge for parts like different cogs and such. Found some knobby tires in the store and for handle bars I took some off an old motorcycle I found laying in the ditch and had my dad weld them on the stem. By the way, the year before that my dad built me a 26" fat tired three speed bike. I call my dad the grandfather of the mountainbike.

To "Air" Is Human
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    no, I had to build my own BMX. A friend of mine brought home a huge book from the Library about this new sport called BMX. It showed us how to cut a section out of the down tube and seat tube of our stingrays to raise the BB up and reweld it. I then robbed the three piece cranks off my sisters bike. we went to a bicycle wrecking yard in this old guys back yard to scrounge for parts like different cogs and such...
    Joe Kid on a Stingray!

I don't suppose you remember the name of that book? I would love to find it. Cool stuff Jim. A lot of my Cycle Pro was pieced together with Sting Ray parts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast